The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys my 2013 Altima SV has 55k miles and my rear brake pads already need to be replaced (about 1mm left). Is this normal? My front brake pads still have about 3mm or so left.

I've explored various options for rear brake pads replacement, and I've found that local auto shops charge about $100 for parts and $100 for labor = $200 total, while the dealership charges $100 for parts AND labor.

Since the dealer is cheaper and will use OEM pads, I'm thinking of going there... but is it a bad idea to get OEM pads when my originals wore out so quickly?

·
Registered
64 Posts
55K miles is great for brake pads. Average cars get around 30K. Rears usually wear out quicker than fronts. Stay with dealership OEM products. You had good results already so you know what to expect.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Guys my 2013 Altima SV has 55k miles and my rear brake pads already need to be replaced (about 1mm left). Is this normal? My front brake pads still have about 3mm or so left.

I've explored various options for rear brake pads replacement, and I've found that local auto shops charge about $100 for parts and $100 for labor = $200 total, while the dealership charges $100 for parts AND labor.

Since the dealer is cheaper and will use OEM pads, I'm thinking of going there... but is it a bad idea to get OEM pads when my originals wore out so quickly?
55k is a little soon for either front or back (Unless you are in the city). Make sure whoever does the job shows you the pads and see that they are even on both driver side and passenger sides because you may have a bad caliper. And if they are even they should lube the slides on both calipers to make sure they move freely.

I get 100k+ out of a set of pads because I rarely stop. I drive 100 miles/day and that's 48miles on the highway in one direction, 48miles back, and about 4 miles of city.

·
Registered
190 Posts
55K miles is great for brake pads. Average cars get around 30K. Rears usually wear out quicker than fronts. Stay with dealership OEM products. You had good results already so you know what to expect.
Ceramic brake pads generally last much longer than 30K...and since the front brakes do most of the stopping they should be wearing down faster than the backs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ceramic brake pads generally last much longer than 30K...and since the front brakes do most of the stopping they should be wearing down faster than the backs.
You're kind of correct. The rear rotor is 4.3" of contact diameter and the front is 5.6" and the rear pads are generally less thickness. They are designed to all wear out at the same time or close enough to it.

·
Registered
158 Posts

$100 at the dealer? Done.

Sounds like alot of rear brake bias on your Altima. Its normal with modern cars for the rears to wear out faster. Do you do a lot of city driving?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts