The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone tell me what rpm the altima is should be when you are driving 60 mph. It seems the manuals rpm's are a little higher than the auto I had. I know it's geared different but when you are in 5th gear shouldn't it be the same rpm's as the auto. I remember the auto being around 2k.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The automatic has a higher top gear than the 5 speed. But also you have to remember that the automatic is using more power to spin. The only number that changes on the mpg is the low one on the 5 speed. 19/26 as opposed to 21/26 for the manual.

·
1 large "member"
865 Posts
im not too sure but i noticed when i was going 100mph in my girlfriends 2.5 it was at 4000rpm and this morning i was going 100mph in my 3.5 and it was also at 4000rpm. weird.

·
1 large "member"
865 Posts
how do you explain what i experienced??

·
1 large "member"
865 Posts
i have no idea, it just boggled my mind that a 2.5 has the same rpm at 100mph as the 3.5 at 100mph.

·
Hazardously WASTED
3,969 Posts
Altimat said:
I'm at 3k at an indicated 80 mph (actual 75 or so).
same spedo error for me, was comming back from atrip and decided to test it out, i set the cruse for 80, then cleared the average speed (it was flat ground might i add too). after 10 miles of constant speed the trip computer said average speed of 74 mph.

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
totalycrazy said:
i have no idea, it just boggled my mind that a 2.5 has the same rpm at 100mph as the 3.5 at 100mph.
Why? It's the same trans and the same tire diameter therefore the engine RPM should also be the same.

·
Hazardously WASTED
3,969 Posts
yes but the engine size/displacement is larger and produces more power, shouldn't the rpm be less? being that as the same mph the 6 is working not had hard as the 4?

im not sure im not an expert in this area.

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
GTW00 said:
yes but the engine size/displacement is larger and produces more power, shouldn't the rpm be less? being that as the same mph the 6 is working not had hard as the 4?

im not sure im not an expert in this area.
Only if the gear ratios are different and they're not.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I thought it was the flux capacitor, ...professor !
(lol)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ok, my explanation.

If you are stopped and in neutral and press the pedal down and bring the engine up to 4000 rpm, how much hp is the engine producing?

If you are driving the car at 100mph and 4000 rpm, how much hp is the engine producing?

Actually, if both the 2.5 and the 3.5 are running at 100 mph and they are at 4000 rpm, not accounting for the difference in weight, they are producing the same amount of hp. If you think about it rpm does not matter.

·
1 large "member"
865 Posts
im confused.....even more. my other question is which one would be wasting more gas??? the 3.5 because its a V6 or the 4bang-her because it has to push harder, or the same gas???

·
driven
1,110 Posts
Holy confusing batman!

If both the 2.5 and the 3.4 have automatic transmissions then the gearing will be the same. Thus going at 100mph they will both spin at 4000rpm.

The 2.5 will definately be better on gas cause you are firing 2 less cylinders.

Nissan Canada's web site says the following:

Manual transmission
2.5 28/39 city/hwy 3.5 25/34 city/hwy

Auto transmission
2.5 27/38 city/hwy 3.5 23/34 "

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts