The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,658 Posts
I learned in one day, was ready to drive in traffic in about 2 days, after probably less than 2 hours of practice, its not hard. Just drive around a quiet neighborhood over and over

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,209 Posts
I taught myself when I was 13. Mom and Dad left the 5 speed at home when they were at work...I used to cruise.. I drove dirt bikes so it was no different learning on a car...same basics

·
i have a vtec(h) *phone*
549 Posts
see my avatar sig lol for real tho. when u first start and are around town it's better to give it more gas and spin ur tires then stall and be stuck in the middle of the road w a mack truck coming right for you!

J

·
0 Posts
Rev the car in neutral with clutch in to about 5000 rpms... then put the car in first gear and LEAVE the pedal down. THEN... PRESS THE GAS as much as your car needs (most to the floor), and take your foot and SLIP it to the left... so the pedal flys up at you... make sure you come STRAIGHT off the pedal... if you let your foot follow the pedal at all you will STALL OUT and vibrate the **** out of your motor, which includes THE crank, possibly causing crankwalk and BLOWING YOUR GODDAMN MOTOR. THEN you will move slowly in traffic.

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
no no no, they have it ALL wrong, engage the clutch with ur left foot, right foot on brake. quickly rev the motor to 5500 rpms and then QUICKLY disengage the clutch

·
105hp OWNS
391 Posts
Hammer said:
disregard any use of the clutch, just push and pull very hard, the clutch is very overrated
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Im never going to stop laughing that is the funniest thing I have ever heard hahahahahahahhaa.

Thanks Hammer hahahahahha

·
Dreamer
2,712 Posts
come on guys....answer this mans question already....

anyways here are some tips;

1) find the engagement spot of the clutch. You can do this by slipping the clutch until the rpm drops a little. No need the give gas.

2) tell your left foot the remember where the engagement point is

3) Try to get the car moving using only the clutch. You can do this by feathering the clutch until the car gets up to speed, then you can fully release the clutch. Keep doing it until you feel comfortable with moving the car this way.

4) After you do everything above, just add the gas pedal to the equation and you are set. A little gas is enough to get the car moving. If you give too much gas, just feather to clutch so that you won't stall the car or chirp the tires. Try not the stall the car. Don't let out the clutch too fast....its ok to ride on the clutch when you are learning..but afterwards..dont do it.

thats all i can tell you. You are on your own. It might sound difficult but once you are in the car, it becomes very clear. It only took me 20 mins to learn how to drive a 5spd. Good luck.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
These guys have it more backwards then Hammer.

You need to use your right foot for the clutch and your left foot for the gas pedal. If you need to stop, just pull the ebrake, when turning, pull the ebrake harder.

Just jokin, but a real tip is, if your on a nice big hill and you suck on stick, pull your ebrake up so the car doesnt roll back, put it in 1st gear, let the clutch out until you see the RPMS drop just a TAD, then when the light goes green give it some gas and put the EBRAKE down and you wont roll back. Once your good, worry about dropping the clutch for a good launch, for now dont risk blowing a tranny.

·
13,021 Posts
RPMK104 said:
come on guys....answer this mans question already....

anyways here are some tips;

1) find the engagement spot of the clutch. You can do this by slipping the clutch until the rpm drops a little. No need the give gas.

2) tell your left foot the remember where the engagement point is

3) Try to get the car moving using only the clutch. You can do this by feathering the clutch until the car gets up to speed, then you can fully release the clutch. Keep doing it until you feel comfortable with moving the car this way.

4) After you do everything above, just add the gas pedal to the equation and you are set. A little gas is enough to get the car moving. If you give too much gas, just feather to clutch so that you won't stall the car or chirp the tires. Try not the stall the car. Don't let out the clutch too fast....its ok to ride on the clutch when you are learning..but afterwards..dont do it.

thats all i can tell you. You are on your own. It might sound difficult but once you are in the car, it becomes very clear. It only took me 20 mins to learn how to drive a 5spd. Good luck.
what does riding the clutch mean?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts