The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post at altimas.net.

I have a 99 SVT Contour but my gf has a 96 Altima GLE. Fully loaded, nice car. Automatic tho. :(

I'm considering the UR pulley for her car but I'm wondering if you guys have heard of any negative effects to the lighter pulley?

On Contours, a minor side effect was that more vibration could be felt coming from the engine especially at idle.

The bigger problem and the reason I didn't go to an aluminum pulley on my car is that the light crankshaft pulleys don't cancel harmonic vibrations that the crank may suffer. It's a much debated topic, but in theory you could be shortening the life of your engine.

Anyone had an engine grind apart, go boom, spin a bearing while running one of these? Any chance it's related?

It's probably likely that the 2.4 being inline is more naturally balanced than my V6 and this isn't a problem area therefore.

thanks.

brian dors

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
No problems as of yet .... My old engine had 140K on it when I put the pulley on ...and after 2 Road race track days , probably 20 Drag race days and daily driving it for 10K miles , It never had any problems ....I wouldnt hesitate droping that engine in another car if needed .... My new engine is fully ballanced , and also has the pulley ... Atimas are pretty well ballanced , I never noticed any new vibration with the pulley ..

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
I got my pulley installed last spring. I've driven from NY to Ohio (about a 11 hour trip) and back last Aug. About 12,000 miles later no problems. No loss in steering, no loss in voltage, a/c runs cold, and the temp needle stays firmly steady in place at the same spot when I didn't have the pulley.

·
Girl-Moderator
4,061 Posts
The 2 main concerns are 1. pulley replaces the harmonic balancer (but the KA motor is very balanced) and 2. the voltage can go low if you are running a big system. We have put at least 20,000 miles on our pulley and we also added a 1.0farad cap to our system for precuationary purposes b/c we run a 1000w mono sub amp.

·
502 Posts
the pulley is not a harmonic balancer in the altima. no vibration here.

keep in mind that your butt dyno may not register anything after the upgrade. the power change is small (like 1hp)...but what is really cool, is you get this same power gain throughout the whole powerband...so better times and gas mileage.

an advantage of the pulley is it increases the life of the accessories because it drives them slower. however, i would recommend upgrading your electrical system if you have a large current drain (i.e., subwoofer/amp, etc.).

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
ckohl23 said:

keep in mind that your butt dyno may not register anything after the upgrade. the power change is small (like 1hp)...but what is really cool, is you get this same power gain throughout the whole powerband...so better times and gas mileage.

an advantage of the pulley is it increases the life of the accessories because it drives them slower. however, i would recommend upgrading your electrical system if you have a large current drain (i.e., subwoofer/amp, etc.).

As far as upgrading the electrical system, do you mean regrounding? And I also read something about a crank seal or something like that cracking or leaking. DOes that sound somewhat familiar or something?

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Actually the power gain should be proportional to the RPM, since it requires more effort to spin pumps, etc., faster than slower.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
jree said:
As far as upgrading the electrical system, do you mean regrounding?
No. The alternator is spinning slower and if you're running a large stereo system, it's going to be a strain on the alternator. People recommend installing CAPS.

·
502 Posts
jree said:
As far as upgrading the electrical system, do you mean regrounding? And I also read something about a crank seal or something like that cracking or leaking. DOes that sound somewhat familiar or something?
get a high output alternator, a good battery (optima) or use capacitors as flarearrow suggested. or do all of the above to be extra sure. actually, some people with systems run fine w/o doing any of the above. you might see dimming lights and/or rpm blips when the bass hits though. anyway, it's just my personal recommendation.

some people recommend changing out the crank seal while you are doing the pulley install. a few members reported oil leaks from that area after the pulley install. i chose not to change the seal and have had no problems since.

·
502 Posts
kierandill said:
Actually the power gain should be proportional to the RPM, since it requires more effort to spin pumps, etc., faster than slower.
this is not necessarily true in general. most of the dyno graphs i've seen indicate the same gain throughout the powerband. i'm not sure about the exact response for the altima, but i would guess its about the same.

check out http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/dyno.html and draw your own conclusions.

·
Girl-Moderator
4,061 Posts
the old pulley is the harmonic balancer so you are getting rid of that, thus, getting rid of the harmonic balancer.

ckohl23 said:

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
I never had any vibration or mishaps with the pulley. It was one of my favorite mods next to the header and nitrous :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts