The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I race in the "hot teams racing" heads up racing for the mopar team. (hot teams = ford vs chevy vs mopar) www.outrunu.com Tonight I was matched up with a 96 Impala SS that had 3500 stall converter, shift kit, head work, and some other stuff according to the driver. My little neon only has wai, mopar perf. computer, and nitto dr's, plus i dropped the ps belt and removed the pass. and rear seat. Much to my suprise I smoked the shit out of the SS!!! I ran a crappy 15.4 (my best time is 15.1 with just intake on street tires) and he ran a 15.1 (ss' best time is in the 13's with slicks).... The kicker is I was way ahead due to a one second difference in our reaction times! I was sweating all week thinking I was gonna get mopped up by that grocery getter. I'll post the video up after I x-fer it to my computer. My car definately has a high 14 in it, I was too scared to launch any higher than 2500 because neons love to break axles. I may take it to the track next thursday with my extra set of axles and 32mm socket then flog the shit out of it before I retire it from racing. Time to take the mustang to the track!!

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
First dibs...

great kill.Hate to admit it,but I would trade in my Altima any day for those model Impala SS:).I bet at high-way speeds,those thing can haul MAJOR ass.Too bady Chevy fugged up the body with the newer style ones.I kill them on the reg.;):)

EDIT~And I call for full and thorough flogging of the other axle in the name of mid to high 14's all motor.:):)

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, i've always liked those cars too. this one was bad ass. His problem was not enough track experience..

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
damn Rick, sounds like that little neon of yours is pretty quick.
Why retire the neon? It doesn't have to be retired, just put it on hold til you break the Rustang, lol!

you still coming to FL?

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eh, i might race it every now and then. if the mopar team needs me again this year I'll definately race it. I was the big points winner last night for the mopar team, so they will probably call me back into service later. :) I'm not sure when i'm going to Fl for sure, but it is inevitable.

http://www.roadrunnersauto.com/rick/racevids/neonvsimpala.WMV

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
when I first got my turbo put on, I drove a rental impala V6. with a little diet and some parts, that sucka can be quite fast. nice kill rick!

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually this is the older cop car looking impala ss with the LT1 350ci motor.

·
Red Sleeper
5,340 Posts
the little neon musclin in on the SS impala........wicked!! Yeah 96 SS Impala killer lookin.......shame about the new one's.

[I Don't Sound Like Nobody]

94_se

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you could do a 6spd swap with enough money.

·
I ♥ speedbumps
2,196 Posts
right on whitey. :cool: I probably won't be at the track for a while..new tranny mount..and something is up with my car...the rev limiter was kicking in at around 5100 and it would shut off after I shifted into 2nd :( you never know..I might show up sometime tho :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rick said:
you could do a 6spd swap with enough money.
ricks exactly right, its a great way to spend $6,000. that driver sucked, or it was a 305c.i. caprice clone, did it really have a floor shifter?. when all i had on my '96 ss was cai and exhaust the car ran over all 5.0 mustangs, gt's, m3's (except new), type s, etc.! head work, shit, even if he only got the gm performance parts hot cam thats forty horses dyno proven, 15.1 sux. hes giving our 4300lb. grocery getters a bad name!!!btw i kill f-bodies & corvettes with the car now! its all about sleepers................!jake

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the cars best time was low 13's and it had a lot of work done to it. It very easily put out 120+ percent more hp to the wheels than the neon. Fortunately for me the owner was out of town for training and substituted his brother for the driver. His brother has only had like 2 1/4 mile passes in his life. I have had well over 1k... I was just hoping to pick up 3 points for reaction time and expected it to pass me around the 1/8th and keep pulling. That wasn't the case. He couldn't get traction in time to catch up with me. He later ran 14.5 @ 99mph which is still no where near its potential.

·
Registered
80 Posts
ya, sorry, meant to add nice kill!!! i needed 396ci & 3.73's to get low 13's, so im sure hes done a lot of work (not just a hot cam). happy killing rick.

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pete Coryson: race stories is no place for you honey. run along now!

:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts