The Nissan Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Be Prepared, son.
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to the dealer who I got my 3.5 SE from, about the new Mitsubishi Evo VII and the new WRX coming out soon, when I asked him about any upgrades to the 03 versions of the Altima and the Maxima.

He said the Altimas are going to stay the same for some years, but the Maxima needs to have that flagship status, and they are going to come with (and he might be BS me), a 4.3L - V8 version of the VQ with over 300 hp! I believe he said 340 hp. But the actual guy who sold me the car, told me they were going to make the 35VQ squeeze out 300hp for the new Max (I think he was confused with the Z).

He was also saying that the new Max was going to reach that 'midlife crisis 35-45 old male/female I don't want to look old and drive an infiniti' demographic.

Has anyone heard anything similar? I'm trying not to sound full of crap on my first post, but I'm doing a good job of it already.

·
1,333 Posts
V8 .... That's bigger than the 350Z? Why would they do that?

·
What it is!
752 Posts
I think Nissan has it's finger on the pulse of what we want in our choice of cars for the past couple years, starting with our Alt, the new Z.

So I don't think that they're going to lose focus on what we want, because they know probably 50% of us is going to trade up (including me) to the new max. V8, RWD, 300 HP (WOW a GS400 beater for $10K less) :D

DAMN I can't wait for the new Max! I LOVE my Alt, and I LOVE the direction Nissan is going!! Time to start saving :D

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
AltimaRookie said:
He said the Altimas are going to stay the same for some years, but the Maxima needs to have that flagship status, and they are going to come with (and he might be BS me), a 4.3L - V8 version of the VQ with over 300 hp! I believe he said 340 hp. But the actual guy who sold me the car, told me they were going to make the 35VQ squeeze out 300hp for the new Max (I think he was confused with the Z).
I was told the next Max is going to have a pumped up version of the 4.1L V8 from the last-gen Q45. Maybe in pumping it up they've bored it out to 4.3L as well, who knows. I was told in the 300-hp range, since they don't want to get too close to the current Q45's power.

What my dealer told me is:
- RWD, with AWD possible later
- base engine would be the VQ35 at about 260hp (ala G35)
- upgrade engine would be as mentioned above
- larger by at least a foot over the current Max
- cost from mid-30's to low-40's

·
efileforzaggin
214 Posts
The '04 Maxima is going to come out the beginning of '03 (much as the '03 Infiniti G35 in March '02).

I seriously doubt that it'll be a foot or more larger than than current Maxima. The current Maxima is 190.5 in & adding a foot or more will make it larger than the Q45 which is 199.6 in.

Can't wait to see what it looks like & the performance numbers. V6/V8, I don't care, as long as they change the body style. :D

·
Proud '02 owner
587 Posts
tnewga said:
The '04 Maxima is going to come out the beginning of '03 (much as the '03 Infiniti G35 in March '02).

I seriously doubt that it'll be a foot or more larger than than current Maxima. The current Maxima is 190.5 in & adding a foot or more will make it larger than the Q45 which is 199.6 in.

Can't wait to see what it looks like & the performance numbers. V6/V8, I don't care, as long as they change the body style. :D
I read somewhere that the entire Nissan product line will have the same design look as the Altima. A Maxima that resembles an Altima would be hot. I'm going to the NY auto show at the end of the month maybe there will be a Maxima concept for the '04 I'll get pictures:cool:

·
efileforzaggin
214 Posts
Nickjx, the entire line of Nissan's won't be based on the Altima's platform. Here's a little info I got from another site.

Even though you won't see very much coverage of these two code words, we feel they are worth knowing; FM and SS-L.

FM stands for Nissan's front mid-ship platform which will power just about every rear wheel (and all wheel drive) sporty car from four door sports sedans (Infiniti G35) to sports car (including the new Z and GT-R) and even some cross over SUVs like the new FX45.

As for the SS-L, it is destined to be Nissan's bread and butter platform. The new Altima already uses it and the new 2004/5 Maxima will too. The replacement for the new Quest will as well.
I can't wait for the auto show to get down here in Atlanta (4/24-4/28, I've already taken 4/24 off) so I can see what Nissan has to offer.

I hope the new Max is a combo of G35/Q45/Altima. Is that even possible?????;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
My readings indicate that the front midship chassis IS what the Altima, G35, Skyline Saloon and GT-R (Japan only) & 300Z are using. There are other Nippon only products currently using that platform. So I don't know what the SS-L is. Perhaps the insider nomenclature? FM only describes the robust CAD unibody that will accept both front and mid engine layouts. So, I am at a loss as to the distinction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope Nissan is smart enough not to put a 300hp V8 on a front wheel drive car.

Having a front bias weight distribution and 300hp at the front will really upset drivability and handling, which inturn effect performacne.

·
Frozen Member
411 Posts
3.5-SE said:
I hope Nissan is smart enough not to put a 300hp V8 on a front wheel drive car.

Having a front bias weight distribution and 300hp at the front will really upset drivability and handling, which inturn effect performacne.
seems to work pretty good for Cadillac.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
It seems clear to me that the 2002 Altima is taking the place of the Maxima. The former Maxima size and power is offered in the Altima. Nissan has in effect upgraded the Altima badge onto the maxima. Understanding that the interior offers a lower level than the most recent Maximas, but similar to the earlier Maximas.
The Maxima is clearly going to receive upgrades that push it above the market it was serving. This makes sense if the Maxima and Q45 are going to share some components, while the Altima and the G35 share components of design.
2002 is the confusing year for this change since the new Altima and old Maxima seem to overlap.
I don't expect the Maxima to stay in the same price rang with the redesign.

unleaded has a good point about Cadillac. A new Maxima could attract some of those buyers.

I am happy with my Altima!

·
Future Z Driver
215 Posts
unleaded said:
seems to work pretty good for Cadillac.....
Not really, Cadillac is moving toward RWD now. Look at the new CTS, XLR, STS, etc., they're all RWD or going to be RWD in the near future, based on the Sigma platform.

I fearlessly predict the '04 Maxima will have AWD on a FWD platform, similar to the Audi A4 and A6.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.