The Nissan Club banner

What is the best option for more performance?

• Intake

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • exhaust

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • pulleys

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Computer/ECU

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed a new intake, and I like it a lot. I really do feel an increase in acceleration, and throttle response. I have had the car for about 6 months before I put the intake on, and the average mpg NEVER changed. It was always 24.2mpg. Now that I have the intake on, It is all over the place. It got down to about 19mpg, and now it just varies (19-23mpg). I read that with the new intake I should drive it pretty hard to teach the ECU the new air flow, is this correct? And is the change in MPG normal? Someone please let me know. And My SES light is on, from the new intake, what should I do about that?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
your ses light should NOT come on cause of the intake.... if u are interested u can either look up the code and post the # on here or come saturday to the socal bbq thing and we could probably read the code there.... Also get a exhaust and intake its a good match and will improve your gas mileage slightly depending on how much lead your foot is made of.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mine varies depending on how much lead I put in my shoe that day. Best I've gotten highway is 33mpg with I/H. Average is like 29...

SES light is one because you pulled the sensor w/o desconnecting the negative on the battery. I did the same thing. Check the FAQ for steps on resetting your ECU and that might also help your MPG.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...the best mileage I saw was 24.2, and it NEVER changed. Now that I have the intake on, its jumpin around all over the place...its kinda weird. I guess i need to reset the ECU, hopefully that will help. I ordered my pulley today, and will have that on soon. Then I need exhaust, and I am stuck in that department. There are so many options, I don't know what to do...

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
bgates1654 said:
Anytime you make your car breath easier (in or out) you will increase the fuel efficiency. Do you want me to get technical? ;)
Please no! :p

My mileage stayed about the same with my AEM...might even had gone up alittle..

My best performance gains I think came from my exhaust, but I think its a combination of my intake and exhaust..

·
The Ricenator
324 Posts
Hey I have an ultimate lead foot of doom (hard not to with this baby), and I still average 22.4 mpg. However, one thing you guys need to realize is this is only a rough estimate provided by the computer based on fuel consumption levels. The most accurate way to tell your true MPG is to do it the old fashioned way-
Fill up the tank, reset the mile counter, run it to empty (not quite empty, obviously), and do the math.
You will find suprisingly different numbers than what the readout on your dash gives you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Think the intake definitely improves mileage, as long as you keep your foot out of it. Getting avg of 27.6mpg in 90% city and 10%freeway driving. Best highway trip was around 35mpg, basically driving 70mph. Worst was 28mpg, driving mostly around 85 with several sprints up to 100 and higher.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I seem to remember the first few tankfuls of gas, mileage wasn't that good. Of course, my foot was into it all of the time enjoying the surprised looks of people next to me when I stomped on it and made it scream.

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
I just drove this past weekend over 600 miles, driving and average of 85mph with some stop and go traffic and some long excursions at 100 to 125mph...all the time with my airconditioner on, I got an average of 25mpg! I have AEM CAI

·
its a sleeper. really
751 Posts
The intake allows your car to dump more gas when you step on the accelerator, so I can't see how that would increase MPG. But, if I take it easy and lighten up my right foot, I DO notice an increased MPG.

So basically it depends on how you like to drive. And if you like to beat people off the line, or if you just like to know you can...:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
resetting your computer wont do much, besides reset it to what it was set to before. Remember, all altimas are different, and will respond different to intakes. No one car is EXACTLY the same

·
Registered
486 Posts
Smokey92 said:
Edit: I forgot to mention that I seem to remember the first few tankfuls of gas, mileage wasn't that good. Of course, my foot was into it all of the time enjoying the surprised looks of people next to me when I stomped on it and made it scream.
Now that you mention it, mine was low as well, but as you stated, it was my foot to floor disorder.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Noticed less mpg when listening to the injen whine... but after I calmed down it returned to normal....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts