The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy my son a 2002-2006 Altima for his first car. Most likely a 4cyl. Looking for recommendations of what to look out for when buying one. Any year better than the other? etc. Thanks in advance.

·
Altima veteran
200 Posts
The earlier 2.5L didn't have great engines.. I'd say aim for later ones, even better, a 2007.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The engines were Ok, and built pretty strong [I build a lot of performance engines so I know a strong block from a weak one].

The problems were with the pre cat. I won't go into details on what caused the problems with the pre cat [just do a net search], but they can/will kill an engine.

I have built three of these VQ25 engines. One was dead at 120k, and one made it to nearly 300k so its hit and miss [all were 2003].

I would say to get one with the lowest mileage you can find, preferably an 05-06 as Nissan seems to have changed their ecu programming by then which helped with the pre cat issues.

After you buy it I would suggest buying a header just to be on the safe side depending on how strict the emission's testing is in your area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I will aim for an 05-06. Was there a recall fix for that? Anything else to look out for?

·
Registered
591 Posts
welcome! and from what everyone else is posting, i would definitely agree with everyone. do not buy 02-06 altimas, with the know pre-cat failures which from my nissan experience most of them ended up with engine replacement which is not a recall. that generation altimas are also known rotted floor boards on both sides, whether it saw salt or not. i would rather recommend 98-01 altimas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts