The Nissan Club banner

141 - 142 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Are you familiar with frame's geometry variations? Shorter chainstays give you better acceleration and reaponse,
head angle the higher it is means better steering response, ideal for trail, but harder to cruise on larger paved roads and more bumpy
Seat tube angle, the higher it is means that you will have a more responsive feel, better acceleration, but a lot of less comfort.
Also frame material matters a lot, steel is very flexy and confortable, aluminium is more rigid, and carbon fiber has best of all because not only it is lighter but also depending on how they orient the fibers, it gives you flex where you need and stiffness in key areas.
The seat tube diameter also matters, if it's a 27.2mm it will act as a rear shock, and a 31.6mm is stiffer.
So, same components but different frames may make a whole different feel.
Personally i love Scott's scale (hardtail) geometry, is the most aggresive for XC, may not be comfortable for long paved roads but it depends on what you are looking for. I cannot speak about dual suspension because I'm not into them

·
w00t
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I'm still fairly new in understanding all aspects of a bike. Even though all the components on my bikes are identical (besides the frame and forks) that the frame will drastically change the personality of how the bike responses. I use my XC bike as a road/gravel setup currently and the black one is my do it all HT which it has a trail/AM tire setup and a more aggressive gravel/SS setup.

Both running XX1 Eagles/Code RSC/SDG 125mm droppers/F&R 180mm Shimano Ice-Tech rotors/carbon bars

One is triple butted aluminum and the other carbon frame. XC has a 130mm pike while the black one has a 130mm Fox Performance.

141 - 142 of 142 Posts