The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i ust picked up a clean 06 ser with 92k miles and of course as soon as I get half way home trans starts acting up. Hard shifts etc so I took it into out local trans shop(he does good work). He is telling me to go with a oem nissan updated valve body of a rebuilt one like level 10 . Has anyone installed the new updated valve body from nissan over a rebuilt . I read mixed results on these rebuilt ones and my trans guy is telling me I'll be back if I go cheaper route . Thoughts ?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Go read @M-train's 300HP NA thread...skip to where the transmission fun begins

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yep, btdt.

With only 94k I would buy the upgraded Nissan valvebody, and here is why.

I rebuilt my whole transmission last year [I have experience building trans so it was pretty straight forward].

I also installed a "Zip" kit from Sonnax as preventive maintenance on the valve body.

Anyway, it would never run right. I even bought ALL NEW soleniods still nothing.

I finally got on the phone, and asked three different trans shops about the issue. The ALL told me to buy a new valve body at around $1k.

The problem is, and from taking one apart I know it to be true, is there are several layers to this valve body. [Think of a four layer cake.]. If any ONE of the layers is warped then it can screw up other things like the many valves in the bodies.

Also, these many valves in the valve body wear the bores which lets fluid pressure drop. Then you have the solenoids themselves which get clogged up with debris as the damned filter is INSIDE the transmission where you can't service it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Last. If you plan to buy the new valve body, and keep the car I would suggest to do this.

Read my build thread on the transmission part, and ditch the factory cooling setup as it is $hit.

Drill, and tap where I show in my thread, and install a fitting. The fitting is one I had laying around, but it will need to be about 1/4 thread on the threaded end, and about 5/16 on the nipple end. Next take off the "cooler" on the side of the trans. You will see a small hole on the right side of the trans body where the cooler attached. That is the pressure side you just Teed off with the fitting.

Tap that hole, and plug it as you won't need it, and keeping it open won't let the fluid flow through your new cooler.

Buy an Ebay trans cooler, and mount it in front of the radiator, and AC condenser. Use the fitting you just installed to run to that line.

Now buy a cheap, metal, universal fuel filter with a 5/16 in/out nipple. You can run this filter before, or after the cooler it don't matter, just install it where you can easily change the filter.

I believe the combination of the factory cooling system, and lack of serviceable filter to be the biggest cause of transmission failures in these transmissions as HEAT is the biggest killer of any transmission.[also with the newer trans I would say lack of being able to change the filter is a big cause as well].

Good luck, and PM me any questions you might have....................

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the info. I'm having my local trans guy install a new oem nissan valve body tomorrow . He basically said same thing u are , it's the valve body casting its self and a rebuilt one will do the same thing . again thanks for your input and may pm u if I have anymore questions .

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Sure glad to help, as many people here have helped me.

Oh, and make sure your trans guy calibrates the new solenoids on the new valve body. Also, the Altima's ecu will have to re-learn the shifts. I think I put that info in my build thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts