The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the general forum and someone said I should post here. So I am posting a duplicate message... Hope I dont piss anyone off.

Hi everyone. I have been lurking in the background of this forum for a couple of weeks just trying to learn what I could before I started asking questions. First of all I bought a 97 Altima Limited edition from my brother about 6 months ago. He said he had some issues getting parts for because some of the parts were 97 and some were 98. I hear alot about 1st generation and 2nd generation. I assume the seperation is right at 97 and 98. How can I be sure which mine is so I know if I can use parts that are only for 98 and up ONLY?

OK, thats my question for now. A little about myself.... I sold my 87 Jeep Cherokee about 9 months ago. I had it running with better gas mileage than a stock Jeep. I loved working on it. One day my clutch went out. Turned out it was my internal clutch slave cylinder. After spending a week taking apart my transmission and replacing it, I decided I never wanted to go back under a car again or work on a car. So I sold my jeep and bought the Altima.

Two weeks ago I decide to change the spark plugs. Being a computer geek, I head for the internet and end up here... So much for the idea of not working on my car... I hate you guys and my wife is going to hate you even more.

So anyway I put on my NGK plugs and wires + rot and cap. Changed oil with mobil 1. (Major improvement since I havent changed my oil in way too long, and drove accross the country)Now Im looking into the everpopular debate of WAI or CAI. I am leaning toward WAI because of cost, but want to gain low end power the CAI supposedly gets so here is my thought... I plan on doing what Flame Arrow has done (There are about 700 links to it in these forums so I wont post another). But I am also thinking of getting a pipe/tube to run where the cold air pipe would have run and put a fan in it that pulls cold air in up to the filter, but not connecting to the filter. It would not be forced or ram air, but would still bring cold air to the filter without concern of mud or water. THOUGHTS PLEASE!!!

Thanks for all the info... and my wife thanks you too.

:)

·
PrOuD To Be HaWaIiAn
3,416 Posts
since you have a 97 you are considered at 1st gen altima. however a few selected parts fit on both 93-97 and 98-99. But you must make sure.

I say go for the CAI, i had a WAI and when i got my CAI it sounded better and i felt a little more kick in the low end.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
same here, cai was more productive imo. welcome to the site and yeah, youre wife will hate us, my g/f does. ;)

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
WAI all the way ......But thats what you are gona hear ...Half of us will say WAI , half will say CAI .... So it is just gona be what you decide on .... If you do go with a WAI , be sure to invest in a good one ( JWT POP, Stillen or K&N Filtercharger ) .....

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
Your wife thanks us now, but she will eventually learn to hate us. :D This board will suck up so much of your time!!!

Give us a few more weeks... You'll start wondering what your computer looks like wearing a thong and a lacey bra.

I used to have a Home-Depot Brand Ram-Air CAI. The pipe (all curves, no sharp turns) ran from the stock airbox down through the bumper, and fed from the driver-side foglight hole. I have a 2nd Gen (1999) so it might be a little different than yours.

The Ram-Air effect didn't do much unless I was on the illegal side of 80-85 mph. Once it got above that, I probably gained about 5-10 hp. Driving around town, it didn't really make THAT much of a difference.

As for sucking in water, it wasn't a problem, because the puddle would seriously have to be a foot deep or more in order for my pipe to suck in water. I drove it through pouring rain, and standing puddles without any problems.

I did eventually go to a JWT WAI setup, because the hp gains that I got from the Ram-Air CAI were rarely seen, as I spent MOST of my time south of 80 mph. So for the track, I needed something that provided HP gains throughout the rev-range... hence the WAI.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the board!

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
SHAWN said:
WAI all the way ......But thats what you are gona hear ...Half of us will say WAI , half will say CAI .... So it is just gona be what you decide on .... If you do go with a WAI , be sure to invest in a good one ( JWT POP, Stillen or K&N Filtercharger ) .....
place racing in wai config OWNZ.

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Use the VIN number when ordering OEM parts, Nissan had several chassis breaks from 93-97 and more from 98-01. To be sure you are getting the right parts for your altima use the VIN and the production date which is found on the big sticker in the drivers side door jam. Should also help with aftermarket parts as well.

·
Garbologist Extrodonair
7,262 Posts
JWT Pop Charger.........its the same as the Stillen but a lot cheaper.........

·
Garbologist Extrodonair
7,262 Posts
oh yeah, 1st gens are 93-97.5, and 2nd gens are 98-01

1 - 9 of 9 Posts