The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to make a long story short i actually melted one of my NGK plugs on monday using nitrous... The problem seems to be NGK from how i see it. The plug must have pulled the "glow plug" manuver that you can get using nitrous. The autometer A/F gauge always gave me a 3 to 4 bar into "rich" reading while using nitrous with the NGK plugs, after last monday's experience of driving home on three cylinders and thinking i blew a piston ring, i got a compression check and im fine. So i put in denso copper plugs with the same gap as the NGK plugs and for some reason the A/F gauge is coming out with a richer reading than before on nitrous, so im going to the track tomorrow to see if there is a power loss that is acociated with running a "richer" mix (but safer from anyway you look at it). If the denso plugs pull the melting manuver i dont know what im going to do. The funny thing is i always swore by NGK's... and ive been running the same jets for 7 bottles and never had a problem before and had just changed out the plugs a few thousand miles before. Maybe it was just a one time occurance....

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Are those the NGK's that run cooler than oem?
Jay

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, they are one 'step' colder than OEM. I thought that was what went wrong when i pulled out that melted one. I thought the guy at the auto parts store scewed up and gave me stock ones, but the parts number on the plug matched some old ones that i had sitting around. I would go two steps colder on plugs but i was told by someone who i trust in that area that two steps colder for a 65 shot of nitrous is excessive and will hurt proformace, and wont make a big heat diffrence either with that small of a shot (he runs 150 shot on a stang, so 65 still makes him laugh). I dont know, anyone else out there with nitrous experience that can help me out??

·
NISSANCLUB.COM
6,243 Posts
Uhm, actually you are somewhat wrong.

NGK supplies sparks to ALL japanese cars that come to usa (or made in usa), for example, I decided to replace my 96 Altima's plugs with some nicer NGK ones, I popped the OEM's out and found the same quote unquote aftermarket plugs there. Also, in my impreza, NGK's are once again used...

·
Like a Villain
3,765 Posts
what kind of NGKs were they? BK7s? i'm on my 2nd bottle and still using OEM plugs right now. 60 shot dry btw. your story is getting me kinda worried :(

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Were they gapped right? Sometimes you wanna double check to see if they are all gapped correctly. The higher the gap is it more cooler? What exact gap do you need running nos?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Another thing you may wanna look into is indexing the plugs. This way the spark is always detonating the best fuel mixture. Moroso sells indexing washers for $15.

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the thing with gapping plugs on nitrous. If you dont gap them down some as you get into the larger shots (65 for our engine) the spark wont be able to hold up in thrid gear on nitrous where the engine compression is stronger because of slower movement thru the rpm range. Thus you create a "lean" condition, not because your detonating, but because your not getting complete burn. Therefore you mess around with your gap till you get one that gives you a good "rich" reading on your A/F gauge in thrid and fourth if you really want to take it that far. I run somewhere between a .038 gap and a .035 gap. As far as the OEM plugs goes, the regualar plugs you pull out of an impreza, or a nissan are NGK's. But when you go to a diffrent heat level they are not OEM, the company is OEM, but the part number is no longer the OEM number.

·
Registered
51 Posts
SuprStyl said:
Here is the thing with gapping plugs on nitrous. If you dont gap them down some as you get into the larger shots (65 for our engine) the spark wont be able to hold up in thrid gear on nitrous where the engine compression is stronger because of slower movement thru the rpm range. Thus you create a "lean" condition, not because your detonating, but because your not getting complete burn. Therefore you mess around with your gap till you get one that gives you a good "rich" reading on your A/F gauge in thrid and fourth if you really want to take it that far. I run somewhere between a .038 gap and a .035 gap. As far as the OEM plugs goes, the regualar plugs you pull out of an impreza, or a nissan are NGK's. But when you go to a diffrent heat level they are not OEM, the company is OEM, but the part number is no longer the OEM number.
Does our engine stand 75hp shot or is it too close?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts