The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Dragon Slayer
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
August 30 to September 2

Since we don't have an event section I'll just throw this here. Please feel free to share this with anyone who might be interested. This is an annual event hosted by NICO and centered around one of the most incredible driving roads in the country. For those of you who may not be familiar the Tail of the Dragon is an 11 mile section of US 129 on the border of NC/TN that consists of 318 corners. Pictures and videos don't come close to doing it justice. Simply put its driving heaven and is surrounded by some of the most amazing roads in the country. The Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner 28, and the Blue Ridge Parkway to name a few. The area also offers plenty of site seeing, hiking, rafting, etc etc.. Here's a website with information about the region..

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.

Last year I'd say there were 25+ cars and over 5 days I drove a little over 2000 miles. I can't wait to go back. Coming from the northeast presents some great opportunities like the chance to drive the full length of Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. We stayed at Fontana Village and I won't go into details how great of a place it is to stay but here's their website..

Fontana Village Resort. Your Great Smoky Mountain Destination. Fontana Dam, NC

Three nights in a fully furnished, central A/C, full kitchen, 2 bedroom cabin on Labor Day weekend came to a little over $400. For what you get that's incredibly cheap. As you can imagine the most expensive part of the trip is gas and even that's cheaper down there, haha. This is a predominately Nissan/Datsun/Infiniti meet but everybody is welcome. Last year we had everything from a Metro to a GTR. The itinerary of the days events hasn't been posted yet but I wanted to give anybody who might be interested plenty of time to plan on attending. I'll be updating this as new event information gets posted.

Resort group rate information..

http://forums.nicoclub.com/resort-room-reservations-t572705.html

Here is what the cruise on saturday looks like a map.

http://tunerzstore.com/web_documents/TOTD Itinerary 2013.pdf
RED_DET said:
2012 Itinerary

View of First Leg of Loop

View of Second Leg of Loop

View of Complete Loop
Registration link...

http://forums.nicoclub.com/2013-nicofest-totd-registration-t576332.html

·
Dragon Slayer
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
There are a ton of pictures from last year but heres a few of them.

Last year people came from as far away as Minnesota because if you're a car enthusiast the dragon is a road that should be on everybody's bucket list.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Definitely. This is the 3rd year for this event on the same weekend and it is a great time. Between all of the spirited driving, group events, things to do/see, the gorgeous cars/bikes that come from all over, and things as simple as hanging out make it an event I already plan to attend next year. Since its Labor Day weekend the list of things going on at the resort alone is impressive.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/events/pdfs/lakealooza2012.pdf

I highly recommend people check out their website to see how large and how much this place has to offer. Everything from its own gas station to a marina.

This is one of those things where you don't have to do everything the group does. Last year there were 2 group options for Saturday but you can pick and choose and do whatever you want whenever. A bunch of people brought their wives/GFs because it's easy to mask this car event as dual purposed but if she's a bit squeamish when it comes to corners it could rain on your parade. There's no mistaking it the corners on the dragon are extreme and even if you went through it going the speed limit would be a good time for you and a little unsettling for those less inclined. All that said safety is paramount and a good "oh shit" handle worked for my GF. There are a lot of courtesy rules that exist on the dragon to make it safer and abiding by them makes it a better experience for everyone. If I find a list I'll share it but the most important being ALWAYS stay in your lane. Most of the corners are blind and crossing the yellows could easily result in an accident. Potentially a fatal one as the dragon is a huge destination for motorcyclist.

Since the formal plan of events hasn't been released for this year yet this is last years detail if anyone wants to get an idea of what goes on..

EZcheese15 said:
Welcome to our first annual NICOFEST at the Dragon! Although this is the 1st NICOFEST event being held here, this is actually the 2nd year of NICO members holding a meet here. Thanks to the interest of the 1st year's event, we have decided to make it an official event this year, and hopefully continue the tradition for years to come!

The event is scheduled for Labor Day Weekend (Sep. 2nd-5th). We will be staying at the following resort:

Fontana Village
300 Woods Road
Fontana Dam, NC 28733
800-849-2258

When making your reservation, ask for the group rate for NICO. We have reserved 47 various rooms of different sizes/prices. They are as follows:

7 Lodge Rooms w/ 2 Queen Beds
7 Lodge Rooms w/ 1 King Bed
8 Lodge Rooms w/ Fireplace
3 Cabana Rooms w/ 1 King Bed
4 1 Bedroom Willow Cabins
5 2 Bedroom Laurel Cabins
5 2 Bedroom Hemlock Cabins
5 3 Bedroom Magnolia Cabins
3 3 Bedroom Hemlock Cabins

To see the different room configurations, please visit their website. You can make your reservations now. Reservations must be made by July 1st, 2011 in order to take advantage of the discounted rate for NICOFEST. You must pay for the 1st night at the time you make the reservation, and the balance can be paid when you check in.

On Sunday, September 4th, our itinerary will take our mountain drive to the Biltmore Estate. The Biltmore Estate is the largest privately owned home in the United States, with over 175,000 square feet and sits on over 8,000 acres of land. Regular pricing to tour the estate is $60/person. We have negotiated a group rate for this tour for $40/person. To make your reservation, call the Biltmore Estate Ticketing Office at 866-851-4661 and reference promotional code 375 to get the NICOclub rate. Biltmore Tour tickets must be ordered by August 22nd to receive the NICOclub rate. If you do not order your ticket before then, you will still be able to get a discounted ticket the day of the event for $46 by being with the NICOFEST event. We will be at the Biltmore Estate for approximately 5 hours on Sunday afternoon.

In addition to your room reservations and Biltmore tickets, registration for NICOFEST is $20. This will cover food for Saturday and Sunday nights. Registration for NICOFEST can be made by clicking the button below. The verify registration button is not live, but will be updated periodically. If you don't see your registration immediately, check back in a few days. Registration questions can be emailed to [email protected].

[dragonpaypal][/dragonpaypal]

The weekend will consist of a social gathering each night at the Fontana Village Resort. Saturday morning, we will leave and drive through the small town of Robbinsville, NC before heading through the renowned Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap. We will make our first stop at the Deal's Gap Overlook. From there, we will continue down the Foothills Parkway in Tennessee then through the twisty roads of the Great Smokey Mountain National Park to Gatlinburg, TN. In Gatlinburg, we will stop for lunch before we continue our drive to Clingman's Dome, the highest point in Tennessee. After resting again and enjoying the scenery, we will head back to the Fontana Village for the evening.

Sunday morning, we will head out to Cherokee, NC, to the beginning of the Blue Ridge Parkway. From there, we will follow the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville, NC where will stop for the afternoon to tour the Biltmore Estate, the largest privately owned home in the country. After a few hours visiting the estate, we will then head back to the Fontana Village for the evening. Monday morning's schedule as of right now is yet to be determined, but you may not want to plan your trip home until at least Monday afternoon.

Below is the itinerary for the weekend. This itinerary is subject to change due to weather conditions.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2ND:

6:00pm: Arrival and social at the Fontana Village Resort

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 3RD:pLAN A

9:00am: Leave Fontana Village for Deal's Gap Overlook (50 miles)

10:45am: Leave Deal's Gap Overlook for Gatlinburg, TN (50 miles)

12:30pm: Lunch in Gatlinburg, TN (on your own)

2:00pm: Leave Gatlinburg, TN for Clingman's Dome (22 miles)

5:00pm: Leave Clingman's Dome for Fontana Village (69 miles)

7:00pm: Dinner/social at Fontana Village

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 3RD:pLAN B
12:30pm: Lunch on site of Fontana Village hosted by the Tunerz Store
Meal will include:
1)Shredded BBQ Sandwich
2)Pasta Salad
3)Bake Beans
4)Drink (Tea/Lemonade/Water)
5)Dessert

After lunch will will take a cruise to the Cherohala Skyway

Plan-B Lunch will cost you $6.00. Click below to paypal for a meal ticket. This will also give us a head count on the amount of food/drinks necessary for the lunch meal as some folks will be going with plan-A.

[tunerzstore][/tunerzstore]

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 4TH:

8:00AM: Leave Fontana Village for the Biltmore Estate via the Blue Ridge Parkway (133 miles)

11:30am: Visit the Biltmore Estate ($40 pre-ordered with NICO rate, $46 at the door with NICO rate, $59 regular price)

5:00pm: Leave the Biltmore Estate for Fontana Village (96 miles)

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 5TH:

TBD

Keep an eye on this thread for more information. We will be adding more details as the event gets closer! And if you have Facebook, RSVP on our event page to let us know you're coming! NICOFEST at the Dragon 2011 | Facebook

***NOTICE***
Fontana Village Resort is located in Graham County, NC. Graham County is a dry county and alcohol can not be purchased within the county. We encourage everyone to enjoy themselves in the evening each night, so if drinking alcohol is on your agenda, be sure to pick some up before entering Graham County, or else you may find it hard to find any. Also, enjoy yourselves in the evening, but do not over do it to the point your are not legal nor safe to drive in the morning. We want this to be a fun and safe event for everyone.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna see if I can make it to this. Looks like one of the better events that happens. I've never been through the Tail of the Dragon.
It's an addictive experience. Last year I drove it 4 times and I'm looking forward to topping that this year and getting a couple night runs in. Theres already some people coming up from Tallahassee and Tampa if you decide to go and are interested in driving up with a group.

·
Snow... what
3,029 Posts
Next year i plan to come out Drew, hopefully that will hold up. Car should be done a long time before that, would be awesome and i hope i can make it lol. Will see how it goes for sure.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next year i plan to come out Drew, hopefully that will hold up. Car should be done a long time before that, would be awesome and i hope i can make it lol. Will see how it goes for sure.
I hope so too Aaron. It would be great to meet you and get to see how your car turned out in person. That's a long drive but people do it every year. One guy drives from Minnesota and this year he'll be thrashing his Juke that he auto crosses. I saw him at an event and all I'm going to say about that is that it would surprise you haha.

if i ever bring my cars back to that side of the country, i gotta take a run on that road
I seriously hope that you, and others, get the chance. Even though people are still registering I wish even more people were taking advantage of the event this year. Before the first time I went I used to watch so many videos but once you start driving it you realize right away that videos do nothing for the Dragon. My one friend said something funny and true the other day when describing it.

"some turns are so tight you aren't looking out the front windshield to negotiate the turn. I can't think of anywhere else the A pillar was annoying"

But the best part is that thanks to the geography the area is full of incredible driving roads. This year I plan to hit a little know road (except to locals of course) that they say resembles the dragon except longer. Thankfully we leave in two weeks cause I can't wait.

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
I completely agree about hating the A pillar. On some of the mountains i frequent, there are some sharp turns that I literally wished the A pillar was nonexistent so i can see what is coming around the turn.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to start by saying that we had an awesome time. We were lucky to have nice weather (hot) up until Sunday night but rain for the drive home seems to be a normal thing anymore. I lead a group on a new road after the show/group picture and we all agreed that its actually better than the Dragon. That's saying something right there. The road was so intense and long that halfway through I found myself almost wishing it was over, haha. Five people from our group made Killboys highlights of the week which is pretty impressive.

killboy.com Weekly Highlights - September 4th, 2012 | Facebook

TunerZ Store did a great job with the food and entertainment. Everybody walked away with free stuff and 5 lucky people walked away with really nice ($) raffle prizes. I could go on and on about the roads, sights, and hanging out that we did but the bottom line is I hope to see more people taking advantage of this event next year. I'm going to keep adding pictures but heres a few.

gmac708 said:

·
Dragon Slayer
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
NOTM - Feb 2010
3,032 Posts
that looks like alot of fun. i wonder how that 240 with the LS motor drives.. bet its fun as hell.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts