The Nissan Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am new here. Just wanted to post about my issue and what I have found in the hopes someone else may find it useful.

Couple of months ago I started having transmission issues when the car was running for around 45 minutes in hot weather. On a very hot day I was on my way to the beach ( I live in Australia), when all of a sudden my RPM went up from 750 to 1000 at D mode, to 1500 at Neutral or P mode. Approx 10 minutes after that I was not able to shift my gear up to the second, stuck at the first gear. This issue only happened when I was stuck in traffic.

I went to a mechanic that I am not related to, trusting that this guy would not rip me off and fix the issue. He overcharged me, $550 AUD ($400 US) for a tranny oil check and replacement. The next day as I was about to pick up me car he said, we have another problem, your fuel pump is gone. This was no issue the day before. So he charged me another $500 AUD to replace the fuel pump. As angry as I was, I kept my anger to myself, cause I can't disprove anything he said due to me not being a mechanic myself. Anyways... Picked up my car, drove it for a while and the issue came back on a warm day, nothing was fixed and I really got angry about the mechanic for the rip off. Lesson learned.

As I was reading about the mechanics of a transmission and the oil heating up I had an idea when my PC fan started to accelerate due to me playing a CPU intensive game. I thought about what if my radiator fans aren't being used properly as they should? I friend of mine came for a visit who is mechanically well versed. I told him about my thoughts in regards of the radiator fans. He went out with me to check my car and asked me to turn on the Air/Con, to see whether the fans were working. They were working perfectly fine. The I asked whether there was a sensor to control all that, he said yes, let's check on the temp sensor. As he was about to touch the sensor, the entire head just came out with the plug stuck to it. In the photo below you can see the parts that are supposed to belong together :) not separated.

Tool Gas Auto part Fashion accessory Metal
Liquid Office supplies Metal Auto part Fashion accessory

I am no mechanic, but I assume that the sensor was done or faulty due to the top coming off the metallic frame, hence why my fans were not working properly. Funny enough I always thought that I better turn off the Air/Con to reduce heat, not knowing that they actually start the fans to cool the system.

I have bought a new sensor, built it in and instantly even realised that the tranny feels smoother. Maybe it's just a placebo, but it feels fine. I just have to wait and see for another hot day at traffic. In any case, the sensor was broken and needed to be replaced anyway. Here's hoping that the issue has been fixed with this. Otherwise I assume my tranny has issues, if it happens again.

The photo below shows you which sensor I am talking about (ECU temp sensor). It's hard to reach, but I still managed.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

Cheers,
Charbel

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
It may have caused the high idle speed issue. The computer uses the input from that sensor to determine cold engine fast idle speed, it being broken fooled computer into thinkinbg engine still cold and raised the idle speed up for fast idle. Seen the problem before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts