The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve had many cars over the years but this is my very first Nissan. An Almera S (N16). Very unassuming , it was cheap but my plan is to look after it so that it rewards me with something more than a cheap runabout.

Its not fast and I don’t want it to be, but I would like it to be reliable and that’s down to me.

Obviously the first thing is a fluid and filter change. I’m a home mechanic rather than a garage, so I know a little about an engine bay, having serviced my Z3 for 6 years and which has always passed an MOT. I also don’t mind getting underneath the car if necessary having changed suspension parts and polybushed various cars in my ownership. I’ve also learned how to do basic mig welding.

Any pointers on the Almera is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nothing unusual that stands out about the Almera. A nice small commuting car. Just perform the usual maintenance. If the spark plugs are of the platinum type, then they may be good for 100,000 mi. Replace the coolant every two years. Make sure the gear oil in the transmission is at the full mark. If you ever plan to clean the MAF, use only ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER or a cleaner specifically made for MAF hot wire cleaning. This is the only thing you should use to clean your MAF. No windex, no carb cleaner, no brake cleaner, no rubbing alcohol, and no Q-Tips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing unusual that stands out about the Almera. A nice small commuting car. Just perform the usual maintenance. If the spark plugs are of the platinum type, then they may be good for 100,000 mi. Replace the coolant every two years. Make sure the gear oil in the transmission is at the full mark. If you ever plan to clean the MAF, use only ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER or a cleaner specifically made for MAF hot wire cleaning. This is the only thing you should use to clean your MAF. No windex, no carb cleaner, no brake cleaner, no rubbing alcohol, and no Q-Tips.
Thank you.
I always have contact cleaner to hand, I was always amazed at how dirty some of the electrical plugs could get in an engine bay.
I’ve ordered some items to do a service but I hadn’t reckoned on the gear oil so I shall have a look at that. One part i couldn’t find was a fuel filter. Most cars I’ve owned I’ve been able to find the part but on this I can’t. Of the 2 main motor factors over here, one of them doesn’t list the part, the other states it’s fitted with lifetime filter.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thank you.
I always have contact cleaner to hand, I was always amazed at how dirty some of the electrical plugs could get in an engine bay.
I’ve ordered some items to do a service but I hadn’t reckoned on the gear oil so I shall have a look at that. One part i couldn’t find was a fuel filter. Most cars I’ve owned I’ve been able to find the part but on this I can’t. Of the 2 main motor factors over here, one of them doesn’t list the part, the other states it’s fitted with lifetime filter.
Why you can't find it, is because the filter is mounted on the fuel pump which is inside the fuel tank. One way to tell is to look at the fuel rail that sits on top of the fuel injectors. You'll most likely find only one fuel line connected to the fuel rail and no return line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts