The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nissan Altima 2001 - doesn't start. Turning key makes a single loud click only.
History- Car had starting issue few months back in last summers. It didn't start for few days and then just started working again. The coolant was low which I topped at that time.
Now car was working fine for few months ( daily avg miles driven - 2 miles). It was sitting idle for two months in winters (Dec- Jan). Now it doesn't start. Turning key only makes a loud single click. Coolant has gone low again. Checked- battery is good. Still tried jump start - didn't help. Tried to short starting relay doesn't do anything. Please help.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Needs a new starter motor (either solenoid or motor is messed up).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you response @d0ugmac1 .
Is there something I can do myself to check it before or should just try to get the starter changed.
Thanks again
G

·
6,365 Posts
Sure, the 'outside' things to check are:

but a single loud click usually means the starter relay AND the starter solenoid are working (including clutch or Park/Neutral safety switches and the NATS security/key system too). I'd try the hammer trick demonstrated around 6:20 in the above video. If you can start it that way...it's the starter motor and/or solenoid as I indicated in my first post.

EDIT

forgot you have an '01, so you have a direct cable from the battery to your starter. See EL-17. So you don't have to worry about fusible links etc.

·
6,365 Posts
FWIW...aftermarket parts aren't super expensive...and on 4cyl engines the starter can be quite easy to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 Altima, got it at 69k km and have driven it to 92k km in the last year. So far not a single problem. The build does feel a bit cheap though. I was deciding between this and the 2016 jetta, but this was bigger so i got it. But you can feel the different in quality. Gas wise you'll average around 7-7.3L/100km if you drive sensibly, might be even better. If you can find a bit older accord/camery I would highly recommend Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1 that you go for that. Hybrid camery is awesome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts