The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading my post. I'm really not satisfied with my Nissan Altima's MPG. It's 23.9 now (on dashboard) and when I calculate it mathematically, it's even lower.

I've been reading a lot of posts here and everyone's saying their average is 26+. To answer any questions: My oil changes are full synthetic at Jiffy Lube every 6000 miles I believe, gas is middle grade, tire pressure is okay, drive on highway occasionally (at least once a week). Note: When I used to put premium grades, it did go up to 26.5 once, then I switched to middle grade and the MPG's been low ever since.

I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Sammy,

I have '10 SR Sedan. My average is 22.6. The ratio highway:city is 50:50 in my case. The car underwent some changes so I cannot say it is bone stock. Now, based on your location you may experience lower MPG in the winter because of various and obvious reasons. Also, when you pump lower grade gas there is less octane so the car will need to burn more gas for the same mileage. I recently had to retune the ECU (using 93 always) because I put some more stuff in the car, but did not have a chance to improve MPG because weather has been cold, snow, ice,traffic etc... Anyway, if it does not break the bank use premium gas. Additionally, every Spring and Fall I clean the throttle body and MAF; and every 6 months I use one of these Robot Check You may want to consider doing these little things to keep your car intact. One more thing I noticed when pumping gas... I noticed that if I refill the tank before I let it drop below half of its capacity, I increase my mileage with 20-30 miles per half a tank. Approximately, with half a tank I can drive about 200 miles. But if I let it go way below the 1/2 mark then the mileage decreases significantly.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
Sammy--12 SR here. Mostly city, very little highway..mostly short trips. Avg 0verall is 23

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Hey Sammy,

I have '10 SR Sedan. My average is 22.6. The ratio highway:city is 50:50 in my case. The car underwent some changes so I cannot say it is bone stock. Now, based on your location you may experience lower MPG in the winter because of various and obvious reasons. Also, when you pump lower grade gas there is less octane so the car will need to burn more gas for the same mileage. I recently had to retune the ECU (using 93 always) because I put some more stuff in the car, but did not have a chance to improve MPG because weather has been cold, snow, ice,traffic etc... Anyway, if it does not break the bank use premium gas. Additionally, every Spring and Fall I clean the throttle body and MAF; and every 6 months I use one of these Robot Check You may want to consider doing these little things to keep your car intact. One more thing I noticed when pumping gas... I noticed that if I refill the tank before I let it drop below half of its capacity, I increase my mileage with 20-30 miles per half a tank. Approximately, with half a tank I can drive about 200 miles. But if I let it go way below the 1/2 mark then the mileage decreases significantly.
Wow! Less octane=burn more gas. Of course you have scientific proof of this, right?

Do you really expect us to believe that you get 20-30 MORE miles per tank by filling it the way you do?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow! Less octane=burn more gas. Of course you have scientific proof of this, right?
No, sir, I do not have a scientific proof of this. However, I believe you are capable of doing your own scientific research!

Do you really expect us to believe that you get 20-30 MORE miles per tank by filling it the way you do?
I do not expect you do to anything you do not want to do. On the other hand, there is not reason to make up stories just to be in the game. Also, you have your own car and if you are curious enough you may try for yourself. If it works, great you just learned something new...if it does not work, I am sorry it did not work. My driving habits are different than yours as my car is too.

Thank you for the thoughtful input.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Will using a higher octane fuel than required improve fuel economy or performance?

It depends. For most vehicles, higher octane fuel may improve performance and gas mileage and reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by a few percent during severe duty operation, such as towing a trailer or carrying heavy loads, especially in hot weather. However, under normal driving conditions, you may get little to no benefit.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane.shtml

If your car does not require premium gas, there are no added benefits to your car’s performance or longevity. Simply put, you’re paying good money for something you don’t need. Premium costs 15-30 cents more a gallon than regular. In a consumer notice, the Federal Trade Commission, notes: “In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.”
Five Facts of Using Premium vs. Regular Gas - TrueCar Blog

·
Registered
78 Posts
My '12 Altima 2.5s has been getting 26.5 ave mpg for 50:50 city/highway driving. Yesterday I reset the calculator before getting on the highway for a 10 mile trip downtown, and the mpg was 38 after parking. Using regular gas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey Sammy,

Tito,

Those were great tips. I appreciate the help. It seems you and the other commenters have about the same MPG I do, except @12altima lol. I'm going to look into that tool you mentioned, regardless, and apply those tips!

About the fuel octane thing, it's very overwhelming and I've read that article before that @Throck mentioned. I don't know, for me I follow the middle road (89) and fluctuate based on my financial status haha.

As for that cleaner, to change the subject a little, what other good tools are good to have to prolong your car life? I'm a noobie to car maintenance. A mechanic told me it's good to get this kind of spray to apply under the car on the top metal that combats rusting in the long run.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My '12 Altima 2.5s has been getting 26.5 ave mpg for 50:50 city/highway driving. Yesterday I reset the calculator before getting on the highway for a 10 mile trip downtown, and the mpg was 38 after parking. Using regular gas
You are the type of people I'm talking about haha. I'm wondering now, it might be I need a tune up. I'm still a bit frustrated!

·
Registered
55 Posts
As for that cleaner, to change the subject a little, what other good tools are good to have to prolong your car life? I'm a noobie to car maintenance. A mechanic told me it's good to get this kind of spray to apply under the car on the top metal that combats rusting in the long run.

Thanks again!
Hey,

Glad I was able to help a little. As I said before, I come from personal experiences so there is no scientific magic of any kind. Once I got the car 1.5 years ago, I did some experiment with the different gas grades. Since this is my first vehicle in the US, I had to learn some new stuff about gas and the car itself.

I know that the premium gas could be a bit of expense. I just suck it up and go for it. There some non-branded gas stations around me where the premium is some .50 less than Shell, for example. Every now and again I go to check their quality. Not bad for the most part if you buy your own bottle of additives!

Ok, for the MAF and the throttle body I personally use CRC products. Some folks are afraid not to touch the throttle body valve tho because that can throw off your RPM. I dont really care. There is a method you can re-learn the throttle position yourself, or go to your trusted mechanic and let them do it for you using a tool. My folks do it for me with no charge, and takes about 5min of their time. Not a big deal. Also, I use fully synthetic engine oil. It is a little bit more expensive, but you don't have to go that often for an oil change either. When I got the car, I changed all other fluids to make sure I keep track with the maintenance stuff. As of now, I do not know anything else you could do to prolong the vehicle's life. Stray on top of the maintenance and you should be good.

I miss having a stick and very often I shift the gears myself. Some people will not recommend it, but I do and have lots of fun.

What kind of spray did your mechanic recommend for the rust?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey,

Glad I was able to help a little. As I said before, I come from personal experiences so there is no scientific magic of any kind. Once I got the car 1.5 years ago, I did some experiment with the different gas grades. Since this is my first vehicle in the US, I had to learn some new stuff about gas and the car itself.

I know that the premium gas could be a bit of expense. I just suck it up and go for it. There some non-branded gas stations around me where the premium is some .50 less than Shell, for example. Every now and again I go to check their quality. Not bad for the most part if you buy your own bottle of additives!

Ok, for the MAF and the throttle body I personally use CRC products. Some folks are afraid not to touch the throttle body valve tho because that can throw off your RPM. I dont really care. There is a method you can re-learn the throttle position yourself, or go to your trusted mechanic and let them do it for you using a tool. My folks do it for me with no charge, and takes about 5min of their time. Not a big deal. Also, I use fully synthetic engine oil. It is a little bit more expensive, but you don't have to go that often for an oil change either. When I got the car, I changed all other fluids to make sure I keep track with the maintenance stuff. As of now, I do not know anything else you could do to prolong the vehicle's life. Stray on top of the maintenance and you should be good.

I miss having a stick and very often I shift the gears myself. Some people will not recommend it, but I do and have lots of fun.

What kind of spray did your mechanic recommend for the rust?
Ya, I use full synthetic oil too. What's the throttle body and MAF maintenance for? Never heard I had to be concerned with that? For the rust spray, I don't really remember. How important is that too? I'm sure if I search up ones with good reviews on Amazon I'd be okay, though.

Thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ya, I use full synthetic oil too. What's the throttle body and MAF maintenance for? Never heard I had to be concerned with that? For the rust spray, I don't really remember. How important is that too? I'm sure if I search up ones with good reviews on Amazon I'd be okay, though.

Thanks,

Sam
Well, you don't really have to be concerned unless you get rough idling, low mileage or engine hesitation. If you look at the throttle body once you have removed the air box and the hose attached to it, you may see some build up/deposits. If this build up is excessive it may cause rough idling. In time this build up increases. The internal side of the body is where you may see most of the build up too. Cleaning the MAF is to remove any grease build up, which may cause bad A/F reading and resulting in loss of power and bad MPG. You definitely do not want to touch it tho!!! All you do is spraying it off with the solution on both sides. Let it dry and you will be good to put it back in the car.

Overall is it a pretty quick job depending on how involved you wanna get :nerd I don't believe in CAI so I don't have one and removing the parts take two extra minutes. Other than that it is a straight forward process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know I had to google a lota stuff with your last two replies until I found Scotty Kilmer's channel on YouTube. He makes every car necessity seem so easy. Thanks for all the advice! Time to start learning to fix my own car!

Sam

·
Registered
55 Posts
You know I had to google a lota stuff with your last two replies until I found Scotty Kilmer's channel on YouTube. He makes every car necessity seem so easy. Thanks for all the advice! Time to start learning to fix my own car!

Sam
My pleasure!

I know Scotty Kilmer's channel lmao this guy is a freak but he really does tell you some good useful things. You may wanna check Chris Fix too. He is also informative.

Wish I had a garage to work on the car. A lot of the things one can do by himself with the right tools and space. Do you live in a house?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My pleasure!

I know Scotty Kilmer's channel lmao this guy is a freak but he really does tell you some good useful things. You may wanna check Chris Fix too. He is also informative.

Wish I had a garage to work on the car. A lot of the things one can do by himself with the right tools and space. Do you live in a house?
Just checked his channel and subbed! And ya, I live in a house. You want to jack your own car, huh?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I watch Scotty Kilmer just about every morning on iPad with some coffee
When I see him coming out of a trunk or some shit like this can't help myself but to start cracking up. Only down side is that educational videos like this a short and edited. Often one cannot see if the mechanic runs into a problem or other complications along the way. But they are good to get a general idea of the process.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I see him coming out of a trunk or some shit like this can't help myself but to start cracking up. Only down side is that educational videos like this a short and edited. Often one cannot see if the mechanic runs into a problem or other complications along the way. But they are good to get a general idea of the process.
Yea he's just entertaining and gives some good basic knowledge ☕

1 - 20 of 22 Posts