The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Please, if an administrator can pin this article so people can have one thread to look at the possible solutions to this problem. If it is not pin worthy I apologize. I believe this can also help other Nissan Model Owners with Nissan Intelligent Key Fobs.

Hello Everyone,

I had the same issues with my key fob (Nissan Intelligent Key) as many others on this forum. I have a 2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV.I did not know about this forum before until recently when I started out having issues with both my key fobs. I searched the webs in and out for few weeks now. Today, my second key fob also stopped working. I replaced the battery as there were some bad reviews on the battery I was using that were purchased from Best Buy (Insignia Battery CR2032 6 pack). I called the dealership and they first told me that I have most likely installed the battery wrong. I assured them that it is the right battery and I have installed it correctly. They insisted I should take it to the parts department and pay 5 dollars to install new batteries. The alternative was to bring the key fob in for diagnosis and reprogramming which would cost $90. I called a third party automotive locksmith and they said reprogramming will cost $80. I knew there was no solution to reprogram it myself as the equipment required to reprogram would cost upwards of $600 or more. After searching YouTube and various other forums, I came to this forum where someone was having the same issues as me. I found a total of 3 solutions posted here on this website. Out of the 3 solutions I tried two of them and 1 worked (thanks to Devildog007 for the solution he provided). The other two solutions were listed by greggran. I will quote there replies from the other thread.

I found these solutions on different threads in this forum so I thought it would be a good idea to put them all in one thread. Please post on this thread with what year and model your car is and which solution worked for you so other users can also try it.

I would also like to point out that my car recognized my key fob as I was not getting any errors while starting the car. The only problem I was having was that my Key Fob buttons were not functional.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first two solutions that I saw were posted by "greggran".

I tried #1 and it did not work. I did not get to try Issue #2 as another solution I tried fixed the issue.

There are two separate Nissan KeyFob issues that I have encountered.

Issue #1 : After replacing the keyfob battery you still get invalid key ID or no Key detected messages. Door request buttons also no longer work. Keyfob buttons to remotely open doors, etc typically still work. You can start the car by pressing the start button with the keyfob itself. (or by inserting it into the keyfob emergency start receptacle on some models)

Solution: Remove the backup door key from the keyfob. Enter the car and leave the keyfob inside. Press the start button twice (to cycle from OFF to ACC to ON). DO NOT Press the brake! Now exit the car leaving the Keyfob inside, but take the backup door key with you. Close the door and insert the backup door key into the door lock. Turn to the left to lock the drivers door. You'll hear the locking mechanism. Now turn the key to the right to unlock the door. Again, you'll hear the unlocking mechanism. You can now remove the door key and reenter the car. Push the start button one more time (don't touch the brake) to turn it to the OFF mode. The Invalid key ID messages should now be gone and everything functioning normally.

Issue #2 : This problem is basically the opposite of the above. Everything works normally except that none of the push button functions of the keyfob will work. Remote door lock, panic button, remote trunk release and remote start (if so equipped) do not function.

Solution: The ECU (main computer) must be rebooted with the keyfob inside the car. During a cold boot of the ECU the push button functions of the keyfob are re-programmed if it is inside the car. The easiest way to accomplish the cold reboot is to disconnect the main battery under the hood for a minute or two and then reconnect it. Be aware that disconnecting the main battery will erase the learned settings from the ECU, so the car may idle a little differently for the first few miles of driving. It will quickly return to normal.

If the battery is replaced in the keyfob before you start having intermittent problems, you typically won't have to do either procedure described above. However, if the voltage gets very low on the battery in your keyfob, the internal memory can become corrupted and replacing the battery alone may not bring it back to correct operation.

Finally: It has been reported that both keyfobs can be reprogrammed at once for either issue by leaving them both inside the car while performing either procedure described above. I've never had to do more than one keyfob at a time so I can't verify that, but it sounds like it should work.

Footnote: The correct replacement button cell battery is a CR2032, however a CR2025 will work in a pinch. The only difference is that the CR2025 is slightly thinner (2.5 vs. 3.2 mm thick) and has a slightly lower capacity so it won't last quite as long.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This solution was provided by Devildog007 in another thread and this solution worked for me. I just re-wrote the solution in steps. The exact post is quoted below.

1. We will do this one key fob at a time.
  2. Go inside you car and close the door.
  3. The dash should display "press your brake and start button." Do not press anything and the dash should go blank. Nothing will be displayed.
  4. On your key fob, press the lock button. One you press the lock button the dashboard display will come on and say "press brake and start button".
  5. Press and hold the lock button on your key fob while you press the brake and start button as if you were starting your car normally.
  6. If you did this correctly it should display "Key ID Incorrect" on the dash.
  7. Let go of the brake and it will ask you to touch your key fob to the "start/stop engine" button.
  8. Once you do this the dashboard will display "press brake and push to start" again.
  9. Get out of the car and try to lock it with your key fob. All your buttons should work now.
  10. If you have another key fob that does not work, repeat steps 2-9 with the new key fob
Have a 13 Altima 2.5 SV I bought as a lease turn-in with 25k miles on it. When i bought it, the display showed the key fob low battery, so I changed batteries in both fobs. After i changed the batteries, the display showed wrong key ID, so I had to google to learn the touch the fob to the start button to start the car. After doing this for a couple of days, it starting recognizing the fob, but still non of the buttons worked. What a pain in the butt. I took it to the dealer to apply a couple of recalls and troubleshoot the fobs. Bottom line, they couldn't get them to work and suggested i buy two new ones for about $350...of course i declined as they were working fine before installing the new batteries. By chance i was sitting in the car that evening and noticed if i waited, with the car off, for the display to time out and go black, I could get it to re-appear by pressing one of the door lock buttons on the fob. It would come up with the standard press brake and button to start. I let it time out again - display black - and this time i pressed the button and after i pressed the fob to get it to come back up, i held the lock button on the fob and then pressed the brake and start button. The car then displayed wrong key ID and showed a screen showing to touch the fob to the start button. I did and the fob became fully functional; wow, i couldn't believe it. I took that fob inside and grabbed the other one which the car recognized, but the buttons didn't work on, and ran through the same sequence. Voila, the fob worked. I tried all the recipes on the internet, disconnecting the battery, etc before the trip to the dealership without success. I hope this helps someone out, because it frustrated me to no end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please, if an administrator can pin this article so people can have one thread to look at the possible solutions to this problem. If it is not pin worthy I apologize. I believe this can also help other Nissan Model Owners with Nissan Intelligent Key Fobs.

Hello Everyone,

I had the same issues with my key fob (Nissan Intelligent Key) as many others on this forum. I have a 2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV.I did not know about this forum before until recently when I started out having issues with both my key fobs. I searched the webs in and out for few weeks now. Today, my second key fob also stopped working. I replaced the battery as there were some bad reviews on the battery I was using that were purchased from Best Buy (Insignia Battery CR2032 6 pack). I called the dealership and they first told me that I have most likely installed the battery wrong. I assured them that it is the right battery and I have installed it correctly. They insisted I should take it to the parts department and pay 5 dollars to install new batteries. The alternative was to bring the key fob in for diagnosis and reprogramming which would cost $90. I called a third party automotive locksmith and they said reprogramming will cost $80. I knew there was no solution to reprogram it myself as the equipment required to reprogram would cost upwards of $600 or more. After searching YouTube and various other forums, I came to this forum where someone was having the same issues as me. I found a total of 3 solutions posted here on this website. Out of the 3 solutions I tried two of them and 1 worked (thanks to Devildog007 for the solution he provided). The other two solutions were listed by greggran. I will quote there replies from the other thread.

I found these solutions on different threads in this forum so I thought it would be a good idea to put them all in one thread. Please post on this thread with what year and model your car is and which solution worked for you so other users can also try it.

I would also like to point out that my car recognized my key fob as I was not getting any errors while starting the car. The only problem I was having was that my Key Fob buttons were not functional.

I tried #1 and it did not work. I did not get to try Issue #2 as another solution I tried fixed the issue.

This solution was provided by Devildog007 in another thread and this solution worked for me. I just re-wrote the solution in steps. The exact post is quoted below.

3. The dash should display "press your brake and start button." Do not press anything and the dash should go blank. Nothing will be displayed.
  4. On your key fob, press the lock button. One you press the lock button the dashboard display will come on and say "press brake and start button".
  5. Press and hold the lock button on your key fob while you press the brake and start button as if you were starting your car normally.
  7. Let go of the brake and it will ask you to touch your key fob to the "start/stop engine" button.
  8. Once you do this the dashboard will display "press brake and push to start" again.
  9. Get out of the car and try to lock it with your key fob. All your buttons should work now.
  10. If you have another key fob that does not work, repeat steps 2-9 with the new key fob
I tried Issue #1, even replaced battery in Fob. I did have my gym Fob on same keyring which I removed and repeated #1 steps, still not working.
After Issue #1 steps, while sitting in car, I removed the new battery from key Fob... after reinserting battery as diagram shows, I closed case and 2013 Altima recognizes Fob again! Works perfectly again. Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found disconnecting the battery with the key fob in the car. But I only took the negative cable off the battery terminal tor a 10 count with the fob inside and it worked.
Thanks for saving me the 90$ (2015 Altima 3.5SV)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I just registered so that I can post and thank you for posting the solution. I own 2013 Infiniti JX35, equivalent to the newer QX60 model in case someone is having the same fob issue.

My vehicle would push start with the key inside the car, I could lock and unlock the car by pressing the button on exterior door handles(both driver and passenger side), but none of the button(lock, unlock, alarm, remote start, and trunk) works, which was very frustrating. I followed the exact reset procedure and it worked like a charm.

The only tricky part, at least for me, that I would like to point out, is #5, which you need to press and hold the "LOCK" button. I mis-performed that step on my first try but got it the second time!

Someone should make a step by step Youtube video and it will save a lot of people a lot of money.

Thank you, from Ontario, Canada

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello Everyone,

My 2016 Altima started acting up this past Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2020, giving me the "Key ID Incorrect" message. Of course the day before a holiday when everything would be closed, just how my luck usually runs. Anyway, Googled "ways to fix Altima key id incorrect" and found about half a dozen different videos with ways to fix. Unfortunately none of them worked for me. Of course couldn't get anything done Thursday/Thanksgiving. Friday morning called several auto repair places close to home, none would even look at it, said I had to tow to dealer, about 15 miles away. So I bit the bullet and called a tow truck. Guy shows up, obviously a veteran of dealing with car problems, he tried to start the car with no success, then said let me try one more thing. He hooked up jumper cables, his truck to my car - VOILA! The engine started right up! Couldn't believe it. You might think the story ends there, but no. Tow driver says my battery is kaput. I drive it over to the closest repair place that I regularly deal with (rotate tires, oil change, etc.) telling them I need a new battery. They take it inside the shop, check the battery and tell me nothing wrong with it, battery is fully charged and working fine. ???? End of the story is I had no money out of pocket. Towing is included in my insurance so no charge there, and no charge from the repair place since I have them do all the work on my car. I'm no car expert anyway, but why jumping the battery worked when nothing else did is a mystery to me. Just my two cents for anyone having the same problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello Everyone,

Thank you! This helped with my problem on my 16 Nissan Altima S after the fob didn’t work after putting in a new battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found disconnecting the battery with the key fob in the car. But I only took the negative cable off the battery terminal tor a 10 count with the fob inside and it worked.
Thanks for saving me the 90$ (2015 Altima 3.5SV)
Triumphrider$70 just saved me $$$ for the same problem. I have a 2015 Altima 2.5 SV. I did exactly what you described here: place the key fob inside the car, disconnect the negative cable of the car battery and count until 10, then reconnect the battery cable. The key fob is now working to perfection.
Initially, I took the car to Nissan dealer shop this same day and they told me that they need to run a diagnostic for $128 to find out and that I might need to get new key fob (for extra $$). Why can't they be just honest (because I doubt they are ignorant).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts