The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Altima 2.5 S still has the original engine/rad coolant but only has 75000 km or 45000 miles on it. I did the acid strip test on it and it is fine. Can I leave it or should I completely flush the system and refill it with the new blue extremely long lasting Nissan coolant? I suspect that the rust inhibitors in it are far past their useful life but at least since it isn't acidic yet my head gasket should be fine.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
That is a long time to go for coolant...but I wouldn't spend big bucks on long life blue coolant (the regular stuff has seen you 10 years...how much longer do you think the car will go?)...I'd replace with more of whatever was in there before. If you must change coolant chemistries then I'd flush it out at least once with 100% water, before refilling with the 50/50 mix (if you want to spend money, then your refill could be with distilled water instead of tap to reduce the amount of mineral/chlorine you are adding into a closed system--a very good idea if your tap water is hard and/or you have a water softener)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the acid level is fine I probably really don't need to change it but was wondering if that is the critical indication of whether the original rust inhibitors are still performing a useful function? Otherwise there is no connection between acid levels and future possible rust and therefore I need to get new coolant so that the rust inhibitors can get back to work. Any ideas from the scientific mechanics out there?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts