The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that Nissans, more than any other car I've owned have warning lights that don't work as any sane person would expect?

Examples:

Oil Light - doesn't come on for low oil pressure, doesn't come on when oil level below min on the dipstick...if it does come on, it's better known as the 'Buy New Engine' light.

Battery - doesn't come on when battery is being overcharged, instead the ABS light does.

Brake Light - Doesn't come on for low brake fluid, instead VDC and Slip do ('09 Gen4 Alt). However, it does come on when your alternator is overcharging the battery...along with the ABS light. In short, VDC+Slip = Brake warning and Brake + ABS = Battery warning. Go figure.

There should be a separate 'Check the Damn Gas Cap' light as it shouldn't be mixed in with 1,000 other non-user fixable codes in the CEL/SES light.

After 1 month of being on continuously, the yellow TPMS warning light should change to a Blue Snowflake if the ambient temp has been below freezing...as in yes I am smart enough to put snow tires on, but no, I didn't spend the chunk of cash to put TPMS sensors in them.

Anyone else got a fav 'screwball' idiot light story?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why is it that Nissans, more than any other car I've owned have warning lights that don't work as any sane person would expect?

Examples:

Oil Light - doesn't come on for low oil pressure, doesn't come on when oil level below min on the dipstick...if it does come on, it's better known as the 'Buy New Engine' light.

Battery - doesn't come on when battery is being overcharged, instead the ABS light does.

Brake Light - Doesn't come on for low brake fluid, instead VDC and Slip do ('09 Gen4 Alt). However, it does come on when your alternator is overcharging the battery...along with the ABS light. In short, VDC+Slip = Brake warning and Brake + ABS = Battery warning. Go figure.

There should be a separate 'Check the Damn Gas Cap' light as it shouldn't be mixed in with 1,000 other non-user fixable codes in the CEL/SES light.

After 1 month of being on continuously, the yellow TPMS warning light should change to a Blue Snowflake if the ambient temp has been below freezing...as in yes I am smart enough to put snow tires on, but no, I didn't spend the chunk of cash to put TPMS sensors in them.

Anyone else got a fav 'screwball' idiot light story?
It's just the car, it's not the company's fault. It is most likely on its last legs

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just the car, it's not the company's fault. It is most likely on its last legs
Car's fine...not sure about the company though... ;)

BTW, these bizarre 'light-isms' are true across many many years and variants of the Altima and probably other Nissan platforms. My car is fine, I just wonder why, when it wants more brake fluid, that it turns VDC and Slip lights on instead of say the 'Brake' light? Ask anyone who lost an engine to precat failure if they ever saw the Oil light come on...as the engine burns through a quart a week or so and the level drops daily? It's just weird.

·
Mr Fixer
10 Posts
If the lighting system is that bad according to your personal experience, then it is best to bring along a manual each time you take the car out for a drive. This is especially essential during harsh weather conditions whereby you would have limited resources and an unfamiliar light could just happen to flash which you cannot decipher what the motive of it truly is.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Doug, lol, lol, you know your always up for a good challenge! Oh, and I agree with you on your take about which, the car or company) is on its last leg. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts