The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 04 Honda Accord EX that has the full leather interior.

The Honda only has around 130k miles, but the leather is in horrible shape with severe cracking.

However, my 05 SER Altima with leather interior looks almost new with almost 200k miles.

So I have to wonder what factors would cause the leather seats in one vehicle to degrade faster than that of another vehicle? [I was using the rear seats to compare as both vehicle were owned by a single person so there is likely less chance that the rear seats of both vehicles didn't get much wear]

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just bought an 04 Honda Accord EX that has the full leather interior.

The Honda only has around 130k miles, but the leather is in horrible shape with severe cracking.

However, my 05 SER Altima with leather interior looks almost new with almost 200k miles.

So I have to wonder what factors would cause the leather seats in one vehicle to degrade faster than that of another vehicle? [I was using the rear seats to compare as both vehicle were owned by a single person so there is likely less chance that the rear seats of both vehicles didn't get much wear]
I would say sun and heat. Also, if one does not take care of the interior by washing it and then applying leather conditioner and other products that may cause it to start cracking.

When washing my seats, I use a mid size paint brush. With warm soapy water I start cleaning the leather. Then when dry, I apply conditioner with my bare hand and rub down good. No microfiber towel whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say sun and heat. Also, if one does not take care of the interior by washing it and then applying leather conditioner and other products that may cause it to start cracking.

When washing my seats, I use a mid size paint brush. With warm soapy water I start cleaning the leather. Then when dry, I apply conditioner with my bare hand and rub down good. No microfiber towel whatsoever.
I highly doubt that anyone has attempted to clean the leather in either cars other than just something like Armor All [for which I know isn't good for leather, but most non car people will use it for that use all day long].

But, remember were talking about the rear seats on both cars so the sun shouldn't be a factor, and the heat should be pretty much the same for both cars since they are from the same area [according to the Carfax].

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm kinda thinking the leather in the Altima is thicker than on the Honda.

The cracks on the Honda leather look shallow vs the few cracks on the Altima which look deeper.

I don't know much about the different grades of leather, but my guess is that Nissan is using a better grade vs Honda.

Interestingly enough I have some leather seats out of an 88 Thunderbird that have only very minimal cracking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You are right. I agree that the leather grade plays a major role. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the differences. I also agree that back in the day car makers used to have thicker and better quality leather in their cars. In my opinion, things started to change when technology improved and they found cheaper alternative. That would be a great topic to research and see what Google has to say. I am also curious to know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts