The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nissan murano alternator died last week.
Nissan wanted to charge me $400 to have a new one,several others were around $250-300 range.
I manage to get a cheap one from online for $74 with a six months warranty.

Why such a large difference in price ??
The quality cannot be that different.I think an aftermarket alternator replacement is working fine.
Nissan must be making a huge profit on them...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've never had an alternator problem before, luckily, but I know friends that had problems and tried with the cheapest new part they could get, and it didn't last too long.
I don't know about good or bad brands or how to identify a good alternator, but even if you can get a bad quality one with lifetime warranty, it's not worthy to change it every five months.
By saying that, I would do research to get a good quality one cheaper than the "Nissan" brand

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
'The quality cannot be that different.'

You have no idea of how wildly wrong that can be. The problem is one of a whopping size, the aftermarket alts are often broken right in the boxes and price almost makes no difference in rebuilt or new at all. I used to sell them and one of the biggest problems the parts stores have now.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The cheap crap Chinese regulators used in most of them can fail in minutes or a month or a year and usually do.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Murano S
21 Posts
Don’t risk it, buy a new part from Nissan. If you want to reduce the total price, then you need to reduce the labor cost.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I note as well that if that is a pic shown of the aftermarket alt then likely wrong as most Nissan use clutch pulleys which that one clearly does NOT have. That alone accounts for maybe $100 of the price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just replaced the alternator on the 2010 Murano 2 weeks ago and that was a big PITA.
The alternator is very difficult to get out without removing the AC completely, but it's do-able.
Also, the alternator power connector tends to be melted or damaged and likely you'll have to splice the
3 wires to a new connector in a very tight space.

I knew this ahead of time, so I opted for a good brand name, and got a rebuilt Bosch from RockAuto for ~$150.

Here is my video:

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Maxima SL
2 Posts
Are you sure that hte quality is the same? cos I think the only difference is where it was produced and from what materials, that's why I think you should overpay to be sure that it will work as proper and wouldn't brake down the next day

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Too bad Nissan doesn't have the parts train Fords do with parts everywhere. I commonly fix those $300 alts with parts often costing maybe $50 max. I've done a couple for as little as 30 cents maybe of solder or simply removing brushes out of one dead regulator to patch them in to another for $10 and the alts then last forever. One I fixed by simply sanding down where it had corroded at an internal ground.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just replaced the alternator on the 2010 Murano 2 weeks ago and that was a big PITA.
The alternator is very difficult to get out without removing the AC completely, but it's do-able.
Also, the alternator power connector tends to be melted or damaged and likely you'll have to splice the
3 wires to a new connector in a very tight space.

I knew this ahead of time, so I opted for a good brand name, and got a rebuilt Bosch from RockAuto for ~$150.

Here is my video:
Why not go out the front instead of dealing with the ac system?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts