The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a nissan 2008 pathfinder se, when I idle during the summer time the tekp gage goes up to the caution line, not the completely hot one and the ac starts to blow hot. I bought the car from someone who has replaced the radiator, not sure about the fans. Also the fans are loud when they are on. Is there a specific coolant for summer time or is it my water pump not working while idling?

· Registered
40 Posts
Don't run your engine if the temp. gauge is up to the caution mark. Definitely don't let it idle like that, either. When the engine is cold, check the coolant level in your radiator. Add some if it isn't all the way full.
For coolant, just regular 50/50 mix coolant and distilled water or the pre-mixed 50/50 fluid.
If your fans are running, they are good and doing their job.
If you don't notice any abnormal noise, growling or whining, from the side of your engine where the belts are, then the water pump is more than likely ok. If it is growling or whining, from that side, do NOT run it anymore, as the water pump is probably on its way out.

A new radiator isn't likely to be clogged, so it is probably good.
However, when you change a radiator, air enters the cooling system and if it isn;t bled out, it causes the engine to heat up more than it should. It's easy to forget to bleed the air out and assume you are good to go after switching out the radiator.
You could ask a shop to bleed the air out of your cooling system. It isn't an overly involved process or difficult. You can probably even find How-To's on here.

I would bleed it just to rule out the air-in-the-line possibility. Look up the How-To or see instructions in your Service Manual and follow those directions.
It basically involves cracking the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing and unplugging the air release plug (at the highest point of the cooling system, usually seen as a black, rubber nipple on some small metal hose close to the firewall), setting heater to high and running the engine (once you've filled the radiator all the way). Once coolant begins to dribble out of the bleeder screw hole on the thermostat, you re-tighten it and top off the radiator until you see coolant running out of the air release pipe. Once coolant has started to come out of this pipe, you know the air is out of the lines because it is the highest point of the engine (where any air would run to). Turn off the engine, Cap the radiator and put the air release plug back on.

If you bleed out the air and it still overheats, I would say it sounds like your thermostat is sticking in semi-closed position, allowing some coolant through, but not enough to exit the engine fast enough. It should be changed if this is the case.

As a side note: If your temperature gauge fluctuates while you are driving, there is likely to be air in the coolant system or your engine temperature sensor is probably bad, or just not plugged in.
If the engine simply overheats, think low coolant or bad thermostat.

For diagrams for your Nissan engine, go to nissanpartsdeal dot com, and enter year make and model to find your vehicle's engine and various systems. Engine Cooling should bring up the right diagram for you to locate where things are on the engine.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's plenty of coolant and I believe the fans are working. I noticed this when I bought the car in October, but once weather got colder it hasn't done it until now that's it freaking 97. But once I drive the temp goes back down and ac runs cold like normal. I might test it by running the car then stop wait for it to start heating and put it on neutral and revving the engine to see if it's the water pump.

· Registered
40 Posts
Here is a link for symptoms of a bad water pump. If you check under your engine (ideally under the water pump) and there is no coolant puddle or coolant running down parts leading to the ground, the water pump isn't going bad. If it were clicking, growling or whining it would suggest a bad bearing in the water pump. If there is no leaking coolant from the pump and no growling/ whining, I'd say your water pump is good.
There is a weep hole on water pumps, and when they start to go the coolant will first weep, then drip, then run, then flow out onto the side of the engine/ground. A puddle beneath the engine or wetness on that area below the pump is the clue that the water pump needs to be checked out.
Also, if your coolant level was not low when you checked the radiator, it is unlikely your water pump is bad.
It is more likely that the problem has to do with what is inside the system, i.e. air or inhibited coolant flow.

· Registered
11 Posts
Glad you found the real problem. I just joined this forum today, or could've diagnosed for you when you first posted. Because high temperatures at idle or city traffic but OK while doing faster driving is classic symptom of a bad fan clutch.

Hey guys, ...when I idle during the summer time the temp gage goes up to the caution line, not the completely hot one and the ac starts to blow hot. I bought the car from someone who has replaced the radiator, not sure about the fans. Also the fans are loud when they are on. Is there a specific coolant for summer time or is it my water pump not working while idling?

· Registered
1 Posts
Guy I neee help! I just bought a new 2022 pathfinder platinum about 4-5 months ago, and today I was driving around practically all day, but when I came to pick my friend up from a hotel, while in idle the temp gauge climbed and flashed red, I immediately turned the car off and heard like a growling/fluid bubbling noise. I opened the hood and my coolant was boiling! I ended up leaving the car there and letting it cool off and after about 3-4 hours I came back to start it and it took a bit longer to start but it started, and now my engine light is on. I checked the coolant level and I think it’s low. Luckily the dealer isn’t far from me but I’m so concerned, this suv only has 1400 miles on it! Please help!!

· Registered
3,601 Posts
Nor would I. Depending on how deep you went into the overheat the engine may be damaged (the engine light on) and why it took longer to start. So many pay no attention until too late and then the damage is done regardless of how they may feel about it. Boiling coolant and low on it says you may have popped something.

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm having these exact same problems at the moment. I've just recently changed my radiator fan as the bearings were loose and making a terrible rattling noise. I'll check those things that were previously mentioned

1 - 10 of 10 Posts