The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Nissan is working on a new modular platform for its electric vehicles.

The company’s senior vice-president, Shiro Nakamura, has told Auto Express that Nissan’s newmodular platform will be able to use conventional and alternative powertrains, serving as a key component in expanding the Japanese automaker’s electric vehicle offerings. 'We don’t want to limit our EVs just to the Leaf,' said Nakamura. 'We’re the leading EV manufacturer, but I don’t think we can make it just off one EV, so we want to grow the portfolio – that’s our next plan. It could be a crossover, it could be a sports car; we see much more opportunity for EVs than just a hatchback.'

Nissan has never been shy about its desire to expand its electrified offerings. It has shown numerous electric concepts over the years including the Townpod and Esflow concepts.

At last year’s Frankfurt Motor Show, Nissan previewed a hybrid crossover with the Gripz concept, that is rumored to actually be the next 'Z' model. As for the new modular platform, engineers are still discussing the design and layout. Currently, the Leaf’s batteries are housed under the floor and although that is good for weight distribution, it raises the floor level. That won’t really matter in a crossover, but in a sports car, Nissan would want to make the floor height as low as possible.

Engineers have been testing with placing the batteries underneath the rear seats and has even ran them down the transmission tunnel to minimize the amount the floor needs to be raised. In regards to timing, Nakamura explained that it would be 'maybe five years' before we see the first model riding on the company’s new platform.
Read more about Nissan Planning Electric Crossover and Sports Car to Join Leaf in Lineup at AutoGuide.com.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
Why do manufacturers (not just auto, but all) firmly attach themselves to the most obvious and horrible aspect of a winning concept and run with it? The iPod, etc. are great pieces of equipment, but came in a horrible white color. Everybody else who wanted to look like they had quality decided that instead of actually improving their equipment, they would instead offer only white headphones.

Now we have the Prius which is (according to some, despite massive governmental and big-business attempts to thwart) a very successful automobile that brought a new way of doing things to the masses. However, it was and remains a goofy looking vehicle. And Nissan's response, instead of making a modular platform that could be used in existing vehicles, comes out with this monstrosity.

It makes me think I'm watching Sid and Marty Krofft remake.

Thank you, Nissan, for continuing the "green" technology and helping bring transportation to the next age. I just wish you could do it with better looking vehicles.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
Tesla............

2014 Altima SS
Exactly. Tesla did it correctly (I really wish they would make, and I could afford, their original Sportster).

But, Tesla had to struggle. Even with a superior product (based purely on the objective standard of range) it was hard to get into the market. Due to economies of scale, Tesla had no way to build a lower price vehicle for the masses, so it went with high scale.

Major companies, which have the ability to mass produce and thus realize economies of scale, have refused to produce vehicles with appropriate range that also look like most other vehicles on the road. This would be appropriate if the companies (and it takes ALL of them) have decided that these vehicles will only be used in major cities where 50+ mile trips are rare and the end-user wants people to know that they have electric vehicles.

The above-shown real-life-cartoon of a vehicle is no exception. I call it a further backslide. I would gladly purchase a Ford Focus looking vehicle that was all electric with a 150 mile range. I would hesitate to even be a passenger in this latest monstrosity.

·
Registered
488 Posts
To this day Tesla has made no money ,I can't afford the S model , did you here about the new production due to realease in 2017 over 300k have secured one with a 1k deposit the car will sell for 35k ,that's not that far off from what were driving.
And it doesn't look like a bad science project.

www.teslamotors.com

2014 Altima SS

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
I agree. Why does it take a small company to do this?

Hopefully Tesla's project will go over very well and companies like Nissan will start to mass produce this technology in better looking vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't figure out why the big companies don't invest more in electric cars, from all that I know Tesla open sourced their patents... so free technology for everybody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts