The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Versa SV 1.6L 2012
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was back and forth on this forum a few months ago. I've successfully rebuilt my 2012 CVT transmission. Also, known as REF011A / JF015E. And I have filmed the entire process, from the valve body, sub assembly, clutch pack, tranny oil pump, and full transmission rebuild. I still have to edit the video of putting the entire vehicle back together. But it was a success. Total cost for me was about $800 vs $2500-$3500. Just thought this would be some good information for anyone that will be attempting to put in the sweat and rebuild theirs.

Link below

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So by this post I'm assuming you figured out why it wouldn't go in reverse. $800 beats the heck out a few thousand.
Oh yes I did, I had installed the reverse piston incorrectly, and I've covered that error in the video called "CVT Clutch Pack Reassembly" video at 12:50. I had to pull out the entire tranny one more time, it was a great learning process.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have snatched all 4 of those vids off Youtube.............it's silly how simple those transmissions really are, and why Nissan doesn't want it getting out into the world.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have snatched all 4 of those vids off Youtube.............it's silly how simple those transmissions really are, and why Nissan doesn't want it getting out into the world.
Oh yes no problem. It's all yours my friend.

The information was scattered in pieces all over the internet. You're right, it's actually a simple transmission to rebuild. Car dealerships have definitely intimidated everyone in trying to rebuilt CVTs. I know they just replace them, but someone, somewhere out there in the dealership is rebuilding them right? Why can't we?

I've had a 97 Honda automatic transmission that lasted about 500k. If these CVTs can't last that long, having to pay $3000 to replace, we've got a problem. We're all gonna have to eventually figure out how these things work ourselves. But, just seeing that metal chain inside, I don't see how it can last that long, at most maybe 150-200k? with good maintenance, tranny fluid change every 30-40k? maaaaaybe, before that chain just gives up.

I've never rebuilt one, this is a first. But, hearing about all the issues people were having and the cost almost exceeding the value of the car itself, I just had to crack one open and see what it was all about. Aaaaandd, it wasn't that bad at all. It's actually much more simpler than regular transmissions. The mechanics inside are straight forward. If anything, it was much more of a pain pulling out the tranny and putting it back in.

I'm glad and hope these videos can help someone out there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I posted a link to this thread on another forum where there was a person with a Sentra transmission with 200K miles that was giving them problems. If I ever need a rebuild I know I won't be able to do it myself because of chronic back pain but, I've saved links to all 4 videos hoping I can find a good shade tree mechanic that would be willing to do it at a reasonable cost. I've got a friend that works in a shop as a mechanic through the week and does some side jobs at home on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Nissan simply has a rebuilder that rebuilds all trans for them, most OEMs are going that way now. It gives them the 3rd party to do plausible deniability now when something does not go right, you always keep a 3rd party in place to blame that on now. American business at its' finest. They also went to CVT because they are much cheaper to make what with all the parts not needed like on a standard ATX. It also gives the car company bragging rights to the 'latest technology' as long as the buyers have not done the prebuy research so many skip out on.

The biggest issue with CVT is that a multi-speed ATX breaking still often had one gear at least working to limp you home, the CVT only has one gear and that one broke you are walking. Not helped by the fact that normal ATX only has to have maybe 200 psi oil pressure and that for reverse only, CVT needs up to 800 psi to clamp the pulleys together and it must have a much more robust oil pump and attendant parts. The pulley and moving parts have to have killer bearings and often what can die from the extreme pressure. Nissan still tends to use lesser quality steels with only a barely adequate heat treat instead of fully hardened steel and why so many hard parts wear out too quick. Why the bearings and support surfaces for them die quick.

The ability to find parts for CVT at non-dealer prices will determine how many of them get rebuilt by anybody other than shops. And most shops simply replace only now, they have just as much trouble finding techs that can rebuild them to no problems. It seems the average mech can no longer do that work, he is not smart enough. Or so the Rs that own the shops say, more likely it is to greatly lower the payscales, people who simply R&R trans get paid much less than those who would be able to completely rebuild the transmissions without any problems in them afterwards. And again, that 3rd party guy that gets all the blame figures in there too, it makes the company that just changed your trans as much a victim as you are when something goes wrong. It defangs any anger you have towards them.

In short, all along the line you are being manipulated just like the lemming the free capitalist market truly thinks you are. Making CVT much bigger than just a transmission type, it enables a whole stream of new ways to screw you good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Would you please post a link to where you bought your parts. I'm going to need to get filters and fluid for an up coming dump and fill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you please post a link to where you bought your parts. I'm going to need to get filters and fluid for an up coming dump and fill.
The rebuild kit, and the secondary, primary, and belt, were all purchased on Alibaba.com. The company I spoke with and got very helpful information from was "Guangzhou Xinyulin Auto Parts Co., Ltd." And they are the people that supplied the parts for me. The pulley kit was $236.50. and the master rebuild kit was $89.50. With shipping and everything it was $475. Shipment was also quite fast. I believe it was less than a week to arrive.

The Transmission Oil Pump, Oil Cooler filter, Transmission filter, solenoids, Loctite 5460 (pink), and Nissan CVT NS-2 Tranny Oil were all purchased on eBay.

Please make sure if yours is CVT NS-2 or CVT NS-3 for your vehicle

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
NS-3 supercedes NS-2 for all vehicles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought all the '16's used NS-3 am I wrong? Did you use Nissan fluid or an aftermarket fluid?
You can try calling dealership to find out for sure what your vehicle needs, but I believe 2010 - 2012 versa used NS-2, NS-3 in the versa started in 2013

·
Registered
26 Posts
When you did your rebuild did you refill with Nissan fluid or an aftermarket fluid? If an aftermarket what brand and would you please give us an update in several thousand miles to let us know how the transmission is holding up. I suspect the aftermarket fluids are fine but I bought Nissan NS-3 since there's a class action suit and I didn't want to give them any reason to deny a claim if there was a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just make sure ur vehicle is NS-3 and not NS-2. I use Nissan Versa NS-2 Genuine for mine. I've also did some research and found that Idemitsu Type N (NS-2) is also compatible with Nissan, and I believe they have a NS-3 one as well, they are actually the manufacturers of the rebranded Nissan Genuine CVTF oils. I completed the project on 1/26/20 with 220729 miles, as of today 5/5/20 226400 miles. Still runs great! I'll be changing the tranny fluids around 30k.

·
Registered
26 Posts
[QUOTE="offhtewall, post: 5644342 Still runs great! I'll be changing the tranny fluids around 30k.
[/QUOTE] Glad to hear it's doing OK. I also plan to do 30K miles change intervals on mine. I've already bought the fluid, just need to get a new filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just make sure ur vehicle is NS-3 and not NS-2. I use Nissan Versa NS-2 Genuine for mine. I've also did some research and found that Idemitsu Type N (NS-2) is also compatible with Nissan, and I believe they have a NS-3 one as well, they are actually the manufacturers of the rebranded Nissan Genuine CVTF oils. I completed the project on 1/26/20 with 220729 miles, as of today 5/5/20 226400 miles. Still runs great! I'll be changing the tranny fluids around 30k.
Day before Yesterday I bought a 2012 Versa sedan. Yesterday after reading all the bad news about the transmission so I went to the local Dealer in Eugene Oregon because I had no idea if and when the fluid was changed.I told them I wanted a sample of the old fluid and the transmission filter to make sure they did change it. When they were done they did not change a filter because my transmission did not have a filter it just had a screen. Were they lying to me?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Day before Yesterday I bought a 2012 Versa sedan. Yesterday after reading all the bad news about the transmission so I went to the local Dealer in Eugene Oregon because I had no idea if and when the fluid was changed.I told them I wanted a sample of the old fluid and the transmission filter to make sure they did change it. When they were done they did not change a filter because my transmission did not have a filter it just had a screen. Were they lying to me?
Here's the filter. New RE0F11A JF015E Transmission Oil Filter Assy for Nissan Suzuki 31726-28X0A | eBay

·
Registered
4 Posts
So by this post I'm assuming you figured out why it wouldn't go in reverse. $800 beats the heck out a few thousand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts