The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jackpot Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard that if you get a ticket now in jersey that you can go to court, pay some ridiculous fine and have no points applied to your license. has anybody heard about this? my buddy said he read it in the paper and it was making people pissed because people with $$$ could get away with no points. ive got court on the 29th and need to know so i can try to make a deal with the prosecutor. thanks in advance guys...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Not true...you can bargain with the prosecutor and tell him you'll pay the fine if he lets you get off with no points. If you have a good driving record and depending on the town he/she will most likely do it. You only pay more money and get no points because you bargain for the no points, but still get the original ticket fine + $30 - $50 in court fines.

Good luck. BTW, where did you get pulled over (city, county) ??

·
2,446 Posts
In Jersey we have our own system of doing things. Basically if it's your first time for a moving violation, or maybe the judge is feeling really nice, then they might drop your points in favor of a bigger fine. But for the most part, the general rule that I've found is that as long as you go to court(which is a very good idea for all your moving violations), they will reduce the ticket.

Basically if it's a 4 point ticket, you get 2 points, if it's a 2 point ticket, you get 0 points. However, people used to do this so much where everyone who kept getting 2 point tickets, it would just go bye bye and be given a fine. This I'm sure was completely fine to all the towns and whatnot, but the DMV, now called the MVC probably wanted a cut as well. So basically if you get your 2 point ticket reduced to nothing, it will count for some other kind of charge. I don't remember what it's called, but it doesn't carry any points. However, what this means is that if you do it again, you get 2 points added to your license.

I mean, if you get some kind of ticket, at least go to court. That's the best you can really do for yourself. Other than that, try to be more careful. Good luck.

·
Alty for sale! Make offer
1,898 Posts
court in NJ is def worth it. they will probably make you plea bargain, and plea guilty to a lesser charge (careless driving instead of reckless driving) but you can only do this 3 times in 3 years I think. anything after that you are stuck paying. but go to court, try to talk w/ the prosecutor and plea bargain. let us know what happens. good luck bro

·
EnVioUs CrEaTioNs
513 Posts
This is semi-true depending on the ticket you depends on which route to go. If it is a heavy ticket with lots of points take a lawyer. A minor ticket try yourself. Most of the time they downgrade it to an unsafe driving that used to be $100 and was raised Friday to $250. Most the time a lawyer is 300-400, but it is worth it when it comes down to a Carless or a Wreckless Driving ticket.

·
Q-Racing
97 Posts
I went to court for a careless driving ticket and bargined with the prosecutor and got away with paying a fine and no points. The fine was like $150 or so but it was worth it for no points.

·
Jackpot Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the ticket is for speeding, 67 in a 35 in atlantic city. i have an employee who was caught in the same trap on the same day and got the same ticket. she didnt reschedule her court date and already went. she had it knocked down from 5 points to 2 points and a $100 or so fine. i would definatly take 2 points over 5 but i would love if i could get off with no points. this is my first moving violation in 9 years of driving.

·
Switched to a Maxima
200 Posts
IMO go to court if this is your first thing in 9 years you should have nothing to worry about. Just play innocent and they should bring it down and from 5-2 points is very good. Luckily i got 0 points on mine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It depends upon how many points can be assesed by the original ticket. If it's only a two point ticket. They can ammend it to a non safe driver violation which holds no points but a larger fine. Remember, that'll only drop 2 points. The problem IS, you can only get that deal one time every year. If it's more than once, and the court finds out (which they will) You'll be assesed the original amount of points and still have to pay the larger fine.

There are ways around point assessments. But it does include lots of money. Whether it's through a lawyer at court, or paying a larger fine for less points, or takinga defensive driving class for less points. It boils down to money. Traffic court is only after the money for that municiple township. They don't care about you, the car, or the point system. Also, the officer, wants to get out of there asap so he's willing to rectify the situation asap for get the most out of the deal as well.

Here's a list of points for shte state of Jersey
http://www.geocities.com/nynjpoints/nj.html

·
Jackpot Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is the deal guys. went to court on wednesday and talked with the prosecutor. he couldnt get it to zero points no matter how big the fine but did lessen it to two points from 5 and lowered the fine from $260 to $106. so now i just have the 2 points on my record plus the fine. i guess not too bad. just hope the insurance doesnt rape me...

·
Registered
207 Posts
craigqc said:
here is the deal guys. went to court on wednesday and talked with the prosecutor. he couldnt get it to zero points no matter how big the fine but did lessen it to two points from 5 and lowered the fine from $260 to $106. so now i just have the 2 points on my record plus the fine. i guess not too bad. just hope the insurance doesnt rape me...
As long as you don't live in Jersey, you won't get raped by insurance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts