Nissan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Altima S 2.5L Sedan. After driving for about 20 minutes, the car does not accelerate past 60 mph. The pedal will be to the floor and there is no way to go any faster. I've replaced the fuel pump, and check the OBDII port found no engine codes.

This is has to be a fuel delivery problem of some sort, right? What else could it be. I'm at a loss here, I've tried Techron cleaner but now I'm at a dead end

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do you get a normal fuel efficiency? Does it idle stable?
It could be a bad oxygen sensor, bad or dirty MAF sensor, air filter or throttle position sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you get a normal fuel efficiency? Does it idle stable?
It could be a bad oxygen sensor, bad or dirty MAF sensor, air filter or throttle position sensor.
Yeah I'm starting to think maybe there's a bad sensor somewhere, would that show up in the computer somehow - how would I test each sensor?

One thing I saw while googling is that the Nissan CVT vehicles can go into something called "High fluid temperature protection mode" - basically when the transmission temp gets too high the computer cuts you off completely and intentionally stops you from going any faster. I wonder if that's what maybe is happening here

·
Registered
147 Posts
Actually there is something like that for the CVT. Does it happens while it's still cold?

Nissan Altima Owner's Manual, Starting and Driving section 5, Driving the Vehicle, CVT: High fluid temperature protection mode
This transmission has a high fluid temperature protection mode. If the fluid temperature becomes too high (for example, when climbing steep grades in high temperature with heavy loads, such as when towing a trailer), engine power and, under some conditions, vehicle speed will be decreased automatically to reduce the chance of transmission damage. Vehicle speed can be controlled with the accelerator pedal, but the engine and vehicle speed may be limited.
When the high fluid temperature protection mode occurs, vehicle speed may be gradually reduced. The reduced speed may be lower than other traffic, which could increase the chance of a collision. Be especially careful when driving. If necessary, pull to the side of the road at a safe place and allow the transmission to return to normal operation, or have it repaired if necessary.

If you suspect that it's your case and you don't hear any whining or weird sound, you could try to install a transmission cooler

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you suspect that it's your case and you don't hear any whining or weird sound, you could try to install a transmission cooler
I opted for a transmission fluid replacement and filter exchange. The car has 127K miles and actually had never had the transmission fluid drained. The Nissan dealership didn't even want to touch it because of 'liability' which is BS because I called another dealer and they said in extreme cases they just make the customer sign a statement that if anything happens to the transmission as a result of the fluid replacement it's not their fault.

In the end I had a local shop do it with genuine Nissan parts and the expensive NS-2 fluid they have a monopoly on. But I drove it all day and so far so good, no acceleration problems. Fingers crossed that this will have done the trick and that the transmission doesn't eventually blow out

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm glad you managed to fix it, but I think (and it's jist my perdonal opinion) that the transmission already has too many miles and maybe some abuse if it acted like that (with abuse I mean too much time with old oil). I had one like yours that now has 170000 miles and still works OK but I flushed it frequently and never had that issue.
So my personal advice is, sell it now that it still has value. Maybe it could do 10000 more miles with no problem but you may be near it's end of life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2009 Altima S 2.5L Sedan. After driving for about 20 minutes, the car does not accelerate past 60 mph. The pedal will be to the floor and there is no way to go any faster. I've replaced the fuel pump, and check the OBDII port found no engine codes.

This is has to be a fuel delivery problem of some sort, right? What else could it be. I'm at a loss here, I've tried Techron cleaner but now I'm at a dead end
Given all the info online and on forums about cvt issues with your symptoms, who ill advised u of the fuel pump????? The cvt oil change should have been the first thing to consider given this cars reputation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
live and learn
And no, the CVT oil is not the first thing you think of when the car won't accelerate even when fully depressing the pedal. The first thing you think of is not getting enough fuel delivery to the engine, hence the pump because there is no separate fuel filter you can replace like on other cars

·
Registered
3 Posts

Have you checked your transmission fluid?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Given all the info online and on forums about cvt issues with your symptoms, who ill advised u of the fuel pump????? The cvt oil change should have been the first thing to consider given this cars reputation.
Had the same problem but when check my transmission fluid oil it was very low so I did a transmission flush and put 5 at of ns-2 cvt transmission oil and now my 2012 Nissan altima dont give me any problems:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
4 Participants
phillipclavel
Nissan Forums
Welcome to Nissan Club, one of the largest Nissan forum communities. Discussion, reviews, maintenance and more.
Full Forum Listing