The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Altima has no-crank (button start); dash "Press Brake" indicator is ON, but I AM hitting brake; Already replaced both switches on brake pedal. Tested switches with ohm meter; note each switch has only two wires, one circuit each). Pressing brake makes brake lights and shifter-lockout solenoid click, but it still thinks I'm not pressing brake ?! Pressing start switch once does radio. Press 2nd time does full ignition/dash indicators/fan etc. Release brake and press third time shuts all off like normal. But, if pressing brake, repeatedly pressing start never cycles to OFF, just makes quiet click, all the time insisting that I should press the brake. Brand new battery, always bright headlights. Anyone seen this ? I'm stuck.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Check for 12V at the B terminal (large wire) on the starter solenoid. If no voltage, inspect the 250A fusible link in the small box at the positive (+) terminal of the battery.

Check for 12V on the S terminal (small wire) on the starter solenoid when the brake pedal is pressed and the start button is pressed. If no voltage, disconnect IPDM E/R connector. Check continuity between B terminal (large wire) on the starter solenoid and the IPDM harness connector F10; refer to diagram. If the continuity is good, then the IPDM may be defective.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Checked all fuses and links inside and under hood in IPDU and in relay box, all good. Note that my fuse box does not look like the picture you show - possible transition year ? Also, there is a legend for the relays, and I was surprise to find NO starter relay mentioned, just horn, fans etc. (I wanted to try jumpering it to prevent need for towing). I can't get to the solenoid yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: Checked all fuses and links inside and under hood in IPDU and in relay box, all good. Note that my fuse box does not look like the picture you show - possible transition year ? Also, there is a legend for the relays, and I was surprise to find NO starter relay mentioned, just horn, fans etc. (I wanted to try jumpering it to prevent need for towing). I can't get to the solenoid yet.
I agree it sounds like it's not getting power to the starter. If it is, it could just be that the starter is bad. But it seems like you are suspecting an electrical issue. I believe that the display shows "press brake peddle" even when the brake is pressed, until the start button is pressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2013 Altima has no-crank (button start); dash "Press Brake" indicator is ON, but I AM hitting brake; Already replaced both switches on brake pedal. Tested switches with ohm meter; note each switch has only two wires, one circuit each). Pressing brake makes brake lights and shifter-lockout solenoid click, but it still thinks I'm not pressing brake ?! Pressing start switch once does radio. Press 2nd time does full ignition/dash indicators/fan etc. Release brake and press third time shuts all off like normal. But, if pressing brake, repeatedly pressing start never cycles to OFF, just makes quiet click, all the time insisting that I should press the brake. Brand new battery, always bright headlights. Anyone seen this ? I'm stuck.
I know the relay under the hood goes bad. My 2013 Altima was having low power and break lights staying on. Found a fix online from Nissan to their tech's telling them to eliminate the fuse and twist two wires together lol. Don't know if that will help but won't hurt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't believe the 'press brake' in the meter display on 2013 would disappear when you press the brake pedal. I think that started around 2016 Murano and Maxima timeframe. Could be mistaken though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts