The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need a hand with my kids 93 Altima. I figure there's more experience on a forum than anywhere. She brought it to me saying heat wasn't working, next morning it wouldn't start, I thought it was ignition switch and replaced it, still nothing. Everything else works just won't turn over. Checked fuses, played around with relays. Lights won't dim when turning key, security light is acting as it should. My next idea is to jump starter. You guys have any ideas?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,740 Posts
Hot wiring direct to the starter with the ignition on should confirm if there is an issue with the starter or starter switch/relay/solenoid/motor circuit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I have gathered one way to do this is with the wires from neutral saftey switch/inhibitor the black and yellow to + while turning key. Got Sparks but nothing happened.

·
5,740 Posts
I was thinking more like leave the ignition on, then use a jumper cable from the battery +ve to the starter motor terminal (as many starter motor/solenoid combos expose the high current path from the solenoid to the starter motor). Obviously, this is safer if you clip to the starter, and then touch the other end to the battery....less risk of arc welding random things as you reach in behind the engine with a live jumper cable clamp.

Your idea on the neutral safety switch is a good one. But to bypass that, you typically would just short the switch contacts together....I wouldn't go applying +12V unless you know exactly what's going on behind the scenes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was following fsm for the route of what wire to jump, I was in the process of checking Neutral saftey switch anyway so figured I would try. I tried shorting the 2 wires from nss before I tried applying power. Will try with jumper cables tomorrow after work. Thanks.

·
5,740 Posts
if the NSS is shorted...that makes the car think it is in neutral all the time. If the car doesn't start, then NSS is not at fault.

If it is refusing to crank then the following come to mind:

• ignition keyswitch
  • starter relay
  • starter solenoid
  • starter motor
My next test would be to listen for clicks and clunks when you engage the starter motor. Clicks mean the starter relay is activating, a heavier clunk means the solenoid is activating (the solenoid is what actually connects the batter to the motor). A click and no clunk would tend to indicated the relay is bad, or the solenoid/wiring is bad. No click would tend to indicated a bad keyswitch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I originally suspected security system. But it didn't go off and operates as it should. Then ignition switch. I replaced the switch, I get the clicks from relays under dash, but not under hood. No clank. And also no drain on battery when I turn key.(headlights don't dim when on and I try to start it) I don't believe power is going to the starter. I'm not hearing fuel pump either. I ran codes with screw on ecm and got 55. Also is the red light on ecm supposed to be on with ignition switch on? The car only has 41k miles on it and I'm fimiliar with Nissan from my 95 Maxima. I'm Surprised I'm having this many issues.

·
5,740 Posts
From here, page 1085, these are the interesting bits

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got under there and tried to jump the starter directly and got nothing. While I was down there I ensured starter was getting power. It is. Even checked the signal wire all good. So I'm guessing starter went bad.

·
5,740 Posts
Agreed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts