The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wtf? It won't go!

Aiight, aiight, here's the scenario.

I'm driving home from school, UNO, and I'm on this road where there are cops drip dropping onto the street at various points. Let's just say that the speed limit is definitely a must. So I'm in 3rd, chillin' out at around 40mph, and then it starts to feel like it got really windy. Like, I feel like I'm driving directly into the wind. I can compare it to taking about 4 steps forward and one back, it felt like something was just holding me back, but I could go faster, just, not accelerating as fast as I normally could.

Finally I make it home after turning around because of roadwork or *something*. I come in for about 45 minutes and eat and whatnot, and I get back into my car to take a run to WalMart to get a ratchet or something, lol. So I put the key in, and turn it, and *vrr vrr vrr vrr*... Nothing. It sounds like it's about to start up, and it just keeps sounding like it'll start up.

After about 5 tries of around 10 seconds each, I let it sit for a minute, then try again, and it starts. "Woohoo!" I think, "On to AutoZone!" Because my plans had changed. I arrive at my friendly neighborhood AutoZone with an itching to buy some tire valve caps because none of my tires have caps on them... For some odd reason (It's the trolls, I tell you). So I go in, buy, go out, and it won't start up again. I get the guy from inside and he says, "Oh, it sounds like your control module is fu**ing up." He proceeds to tell me what it basically does and says, "If you want, get the car home, and take out the control module, and bring it here, we can see if that's it for you," followed by his disclaimer that he's not a mechanic and other bulls**t.

My question(s) for you: What do you think is wrong when I'm going? What do you think is wrong when I'm starting up? Do you think the AutoZone guy is bulls**tting me or should I invest in a new $82 control module?

Thanks for putting up with my garrulousness

·
Banned
2,829 Posts
well does it start now ? or now ? do you have a 5spd tranny ? ...could be possiable ...clutch going out ...
could be a loose Vacuum lines ....and could be the Distrubutor ...

can you be more specific .... does it start ..or does it just turn over ....

early you said the car seem slower ....did the engine light come on ? if your a 5spd ...do you smell anything burning ..or has the clutch gone on ?

is the engine even running now ?

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GOKU said:
well does it start now ? or now ? do you have a 5spd tranny ? ...could be possiable ...clutch going out ...
could be a loose Vacuum lines ....and could be the Distrubutor ...

can you be more specific .... does it start ..or does it just turn over ....

early you said the car seem slower ....did the engine light come on ? if your a 5spd ...do you smell anything burning ..or has the clutch gone on ?

is the engine even running now ?
It seems like it starts when it wants to. It's 5-speed. It could be the clutch, I do have a history with those :p It turns over constantly, just won't start up. I smell nothing burning, like I said, I have a history with a burnt clutch in it and I know what that smells like ;) The first AutoZone guy said maybe the driving stuff is a stuck break, but what if it isn't? No lights came on at all for any reason at all.

pic0

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GOKU said:
hmm ok .... have you try PUSH starting it ? maybe be the starter....when you crank it over ..does the Light DIM ?
Didn't try push starting, it's usually started up after a few trials. The AutoZone guy also said that "It doesn't seem like it's the battery, or the starter, because it wants to start up, and the alternator has nothing to do with it..." take from that what you will.

pic0

·
Banned
2,829 Posts
do you have any tools ? take the distrubutor cap off ...i belive two PHILPS screw ....or use a Wide FLAT head screwdriver....put the distrubutor cap and see if theres any oil in there....could be a bad O-ring ...when was the last tune up ? ( rotor ,dis cap, wires, spark plugs?) check that possiablitys....if it does starts up ..hessiates and idles funny could be a vacumm lines underneath the intake OEM rubber pipe or Aftermarker intake Pipe .......check the dis cap ...this is all i can think of ...

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GOKU said:
do you have any tools ? take the distrubutor cap off ...i belive two PHILPS screw ....or use a Wide FLAT head screwdriver....put the distrubutor cap and see if theres any oil in there....could be a bad O-ring ...when was the last tune up ? ( rotor ,dis cap, wires, spark plugs?) check that possiablitys....if it does starts up ..hessiates and idles funny could be a vacumm lines underneath the intake OEM rubber pipe or Aftermarker intake Pipe .......check the dis cap ...this is all i can think of ...
Yes, I have tools ;)

Distributer cap's dry as a bone. Last tune up? I don't know, I've been wanting to get it to a shop, I've been doing a lot myself lately, maybe today's the day. As for the "vaccuum lines", how could I check that? Am I looking for cracks or damage or what?

pic0

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
altimate_racer said:
dont buy anything from autozone unless you have no other choice!
Provide me with other choices and I'll consider not buying from AutoZone. That post wasn't much help.

pic0

·
Parting out '95 GXE
585 Posts
there's nothing wrong with autozone if you know what you need and what it costs elsewhere.

i'll second the idea checking the vacuum lines: what i did on my last car was to wiggle the important ones and listen for hissing noises while the car was running... there's probably a better way but that worked for me... i found two cracked hoses.

another thing to check: fuel filter - i had a similar problem with my last car and the fuel filter cured it.

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lithium said:
there's nothing wrong with autozone if you know what you need and what it costs elsewhere.

i'll second the idea checking the vacuum lines: what i did on my last car was to wiggle the important ones and listen for hissing noises while the car was running... there's probably a better way but that worked for me... i found two cracked hoses.

another thing to check: fuel filter - i had a similar problem with my last car and the fuel filter cured it.
Vacuum lines will be checked. Only problem with checking it while it's running is that it won't run now. We checked the "control module" (by taking it off and bringing it to AutoZone for them to run checks on it) and it was fine. Guy there ordered me a piece called a "Neutral Safety Switch". I'm leery about this because we had a hard time finding it (we think it's only on automatics, any verification on this?), but it was under $20 so whatever.

We checked the distributer cap, head, all the wires, plugs, fuel pump, ahh... That's all I can recall right now. We found a hose that was loose, looked like it was coming off the transmission. My guy said it could just be something to let the tranny breathe, but he probably said that because he doesn't know where it goes.

Back to the vacuum lines, where should I be looking? Is this an undercar DIY job or something I can do standing up?

pic0

·
Banned
35 Posts
I had that problem and it was the clutch/n& p relay which is located by the battery check that relay its common for those to go bad, and like everyone else said it could be the clutch or the starter...Id get those checked also

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
No insult but I began reading the thread and I thought I accidentally picked up "The Great Gatsby" and began reading that. Man you are one of our more descriptive members on here.

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ShoNuff said:
I had that problem and it was the clutch/n& p relay which is located by the battery check that relay its common for those to go bad, and like everyone else said it could be the clutch or the starter...Id get those checked also
The relay. That's the box setup uh, "thing"... Haha, sorry for that. Yeah, what's in there? I've never actually opened that piece up. I always figured it was too complicated ;)

Nah, but seriously. Is it like a fuse or what? What am I going to see when I wake up and crack that coconut car part open?

pic0

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
REVEREND D said:
No insult but I began reading the thread and I thought I accidentally picked up "The Great Gatsby" and began reading that. Man you are one of our more descriptive members on here.
Haha, Fitzgerald is one of my favorite authors ;) Right up there with Salinger and Robert Jordan. Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment. I understand how hard it is to replay what happens in real life through text so I try to make it as detailed, but as interesting, as possible. If it was too dismal I could pick up the pace and pepper it with a little more humor if that's to your liking ;) But I doubt there's anything wrong with "too much information" when I'm describing what's going wrong, eh?

Thanks, means a lot,
pic0

·
Banned
35 Posts
When you pop the hood there sould be a long narrow box right in front or to the right of ya battery, there should be a label on top telling you what relay is what...find the one labeled Clutch/N&P, Im not sure on how to see if its bad or not theres really no way, jus replace it...they dont cost much like 17$ from autozone they may have to order it overnight, or go to a junkyard and get one out of a wrecked Alty..( which is what I did ) and the car should start up with no problem. If it continues to act up then its something else, maybe clutch? Starter?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts