1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ass slider
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
Glad to see you're still racing Spike! How much better is the S2000 on the course? Even with the Altima's mods, the Honda must be so much better!

But...What are you going to do when it snows?

·
Ass slider
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So much better. In no way can the Altima even compare with the S2000 on course. We're talking about an Altima designed as an econobox and modified to race, versus a car that was built from the ground up as a race car. Surprisingly, the S2000 is also far nicer to work on. The designers actually took a bit of time to think about how the car would be serviced.

The RWD would be the least of my worries if it snows in Hawaii lol. But this year does have traction control so it'll be okay :p

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
I imagine if feels like going from an F150 to a go kart. Hopefully you'll still pop your head in over here and not forget about it. There aren't many people here with your eye so we'll need pics of the progress.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Congrats on the S2000 mate , a night & day difference right !

On another hand , sad to see another 3rd gen go .

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The guy I got my Cobra from raced a S2k like that. He even gave me the car cover $$$ as it fit the Cobra to a T.

I would love to have one of those little S2K engines in a small truck.

Good luck with your new ride.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
OP might no longer be active to read this ... but he was a BIG motivation for a bunch of my mods. Mesh grille, bronze Nismo wheels, etc.

That said, glad to see you in a real performance car. Figured your 2.5S was a matter of circumstance, but always kind of felt you were fighting an uphill battle with modding that car, such a far cry from a suitable platform for performance.

And looks like you moved on at about the right time, since the Altima seems to have strayed further and further from a sporty sedan, which I believe is root cause for how activity has died down a lot on this site.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,211 Posts
Late for the party as always....
Fashionably, though. :grin

Spike... for the record...? You suck. Give me your Hondarrrr, and I'll call us even.

JK. Stick around and be a resource for us noobs. Not many still around who are as seasoned on this platform, and I need you to be available for my ridiculous racing questions.

·
Ass slider
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone.

To be perfectly honest, the Altima was a college student's compromise of having a race car and having a college commuter. If I had to do it again, I'd choose a much smaller platform for this purpose. It's easier to make a small car faster, always. If I had to do it again, I would have chosen a Civic or a base model Impreza from the same year. That's my beef with my Altima build, it was always a compromise, and a pretty bad one. I see this now that I am able to step back and look at it from a new perspective.

With that said, I know the V6's can be pretty monstrous drag cars, but for an autocross car, it's just like pulling teeth. The advancement of my driving skills were hindered by the car, and eventually I got bored of it.

In short, if anyone is trying to make an autocross car out of an Altima, buy a miata with the money you would have spent in parts. :D

Oh and I got new magnets for the S2000. Not so ghetto anymore!

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,211 Posts
Thanks everyone.

To be perfectly honest, the Altima was a college student's compromise of having a race car and having a college commuter. If I had to do it again, I'd choose a much smaller platform for this purpose. It's easier to make a small car faster, always. If I had to do it again, I would have chosen a Civic or a base model Impreza from the same year. That's my beef with my Altima build, it was always a compromise, and a pretty bad one. I see this now that I am able to step back and look at it from a new perspective.

With that said, I know the V6's can be pretty monstrous drag cars, but for an autocross car, it's just like pulling teeth. The advancement of my driving skills were hindered by the car, and eventually I got bored of it.

In short, if anyone is trying to make an autocross car out of an Altima, buy a miata with the money you would have spent in parts. :D

Oh and I got new magnets for the S2000. Not so ghetto anymore!
I'd completely agree with you on the AutoX opinion. It's not that the Alti isn't fun on AutoX. It's just big. On a road course, however... different story. No, it isn't going to be in the RWD class, but I'd bet it'll keep up with, if not take over most comparable 350Z's - just because of the easier driving of FWD on most drivers.

·
Ass slider
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The Altima stopped being fun after so many years of autocross. I had to resort to running extremely staggered tires, just to make the rear highly unstable so that I could swing the rear end around. That was fun, but it was also slow. I've basically outgrown the car and had no desire to drive it. Hell, I ended up dailying my CBR1000rr because I would come dangerously close to falling asleep while sitting in traffic in the Altima.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,211 Posts
I had to resort to running extremely staggered tires, just to make the rear highly unstable so that I could swing the rear end around. That was fun, but it was also slow.
... doesn't the Z use 245's in the rear and 225's in the front...? How is running 245's in the front and 225's in the rear "extreme" if you're on a FWD platform? You we're just trying to dial more oversteer into the equation, right?

Not trying to pick a fight... just trying to understand.

·
Ass slider
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... doesn't the Z use 245's in the rear and 225's in the front...? How is running 245's in the front and 225's in the rear "extreme" if you're on a FWD platform? You we're just trying to dial more oversteer into the equation, right?

Not trying to pick a fight... just trying to understand.
Two things.

1) Weight distribution. The Z has all of it's engine weight on the front wheels running the 225's. The Altima, being front heavy, has very little weight on the rear wheels running 225's, especially under braking when all the weight shifts forward.

2) I not only staggered the sizes, I also staggered the tire compounds. The front were 245 Hankook C71 R compounds and the rear were 225 "raptor" brand all seasons.

It was pretty much like driving with McDonald's trays under your rear tires.

Disclaimer: don't try this. Even in a controlled environment like autocross, it was super hairy to control. I got warnings for unintentionally hooning the courses lol. At this point, I've been autocrossing that Altima for 6 years so I know exactly how the car reacts. Even then, there were some pucker-moments.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,211 Posts
Two things.

1) Weight distribution. The Z has all of it's engine weight on the front wheels running the 225's. The Altima, being front heavy, has very little weight on the rear wheels running 225's, especially under braking when all the weight shifts forward.

2) I not only staggered the sizes, I also staggered the tire compounds. The front were 245 Hankook C71 R compounds and the rear were 225 "raptor" brand all seasons.

It was pretty much like driving with McDonald's trays under your rear tires.

Disclaimer: don't try this. Even in a controlled environment like autocross, it was super hairy to control. I got warnings for unintentionally hooning the courses lol. At this point, I've been autocrossing that Altima for 6 years so I know exactly how the car reacts. Even then, there were some pucker-moments.
Great point - didn't even think about the difference in weight distro. The Z was nearly 50/50, IIRC. Totally not the case on the Alti. Didn't you also unhook the front anti-sway bar and run a bigger one in the back, too?

·
Ass slider
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great point - didn't even think about the difference in weight distro. The Z was nearly 50/50, IIRC. Totally not the case on the Alti. Didn't you also unhook the front anti-sway bar and run a bigger one in the back, too?
That I did, further compounding the instability. I also had the coilovers setup on a front rake. Alignment was also -2.5 camber up front and -0.8 at the rear.

In my quest for making the Altima handle better, it seems I've given up somewhere along the way and just wanted to make it interesting by any means necessary lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts