The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Altima , went to go out last night and no low beams. High beams ok, checked both low beam fuses, ok. Downloaded the wiring diagram and it looks like voltage goes from battery to fuse to combination switch to low beam light. Any way to check the combo switch for proper voltage, I assume 12v. I see wiring ties into anti theft relay also. Don't know the location of that relay or how to check it. Combo switch is 150 bucks, I'd like to be sure its bad before changing. I do hear a clicking at fuse box when switched to low beams which makes me think the combo switch is working. I can't believe both bulbs blew at the same time without blowing the fuse. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
How did you check the low beam fuse?
Try replacing it anyway. Stranger things have happened!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
More likely your relay--can't believe you missed that in the wiring diagram.

Swap the relay with another similar one in the IPDM, or just jumper the pins with male-male wire to test.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no low beam

The IPDM, are these the relays below the wiring in the fuse box beside the battery? If so can you tell me which one is for the low beams

·
6,365 Posts
Remove IPDM cover.
Turn over.
Inspect label.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definately doesn't show the location of the high or low beam relays. I can see relays below the wire harnesses at the forward end. No idea which relay would be the low beam without a wiring diagram. It looks like I have to remove the harness connectors to get down there. I can't find a diagram anywhere.

·
6,365 Posts
See page EXL-38

You can use the self test from above, you can also verify if you see power at fuses 51 and 52 when you turn on the low beams with the stalk switch.

Forget the swap idea...that only works for Gen3's....looks like with our IPDM all the relays are buried under the white casing. You'll need to debug and replace as needed. 99% sure it's the relay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ever heard of both bulbs burning out at the same time? If I can get my meter in there, I'll pull the bulb and check for 12 volts. It shoould be the same as battery voltage. That would mean the relay is good, right?

·
6,365 Posts
Never heard of BOTH low beams going at the same time with no other electronic failures. If it's not the fuses, it's almost certainly the relay...with wiring being a long shot.

Other than a complete open circuit (ie no voltage detected) testing is tricky as you MUST test it under full load. Even a bad switch or relay may look good if checked by meter if there is no current (ie your bulb is not lit up), it's only when you draw full power that you will absolutely notice any defect in the system. So don't unplug the bulbs when you test for voltage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get 11.7 volts from battery ground to each low beam fuse. Nothing when combo switch is off. I can also hear the relay click when combo switch is turned on. Going to pull wheel well plastic tomorrow and check voltage at the bulb connector with the bulb plugged in. If I get voltage there ,it has to be the bulb, right?

·
6,365 Posts
Pull both of the fuses, does the voltage change when you measure the 'input' side of the fuse holder when the stalk switch is on? If the bulbs are good and the relay is bad the voltage will go up. If the bulbs are bad and the fuses are good, the voltage will stay at 11.7V

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dougmac1, changed both bulbs and all good. Kid at the parts store said its not so uncomon that they both burn out at the same time. I really appreciate you hanging in there with all your useful information. Thanks again and have a good holiday!

·
6,365 Posts
Cool. Thanks for posting the conclusion. Happy Holidays right back :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts