The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My car is stuck at the parking lot at work. Getting it tow home.

Battery is strong. All lights work. No response from starter motor.
I'm guessing it's the solenoid or the ignition switch.

Is there a how-to diagnose the solenoid?

·
... don't get caught
279 Posts
I was on travel, car (Accord in this case) wouldn't start next to a mechanic shop.

I held the key in full start position while mechanic hit the starter sharply with a hammer (might have used an extension to reach it). It started, they replaced the starter, all's been good.

Luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was on travel, car (Accord in this case) wouldn't start next to a mechanic shop.

I held the key in full start position while mechanic hit the starter sharply with a hammer (might have used an extension to reach it). It started, they replaced the starter, all's been good.

Luck.
I got Haynes. And followed the motor solenoid test, neutral park switch test, and the ignition switch test.
  • I connected a 12V+ jumper wire to the starter solenoid, and the starter motor turned. Haynes says this means the motor and solenoid are both fine.
  • I did Haynes's continuity test on the neutral park switch, and it check out fine too.
  • I did Haynes's continuity test on the ignition switch, and it check out fine too.

After I finished checking and plugged everything back together, I turned the key, and the car started. Wha da? :surpriseI didn't change anything!

I have been driving for last two days locally. And it has been starting fine.

I hate electric gremlin. Now I have no confidence in the car. I drive around with a jack stand and a jumper wiring in the trunk, just in case. Can't afford anymore tow truck fees.

·
... don't get caught
279 Posts
Now I have no confidence in the car. I drive around with a jack stand and a jumper wiring in the trunk, just in case. Can't afford anymore tow truck fees.
Understand A and B.

On B, suggest join AAA via phone call. Same day membership benefits as long as car is not disabled at the time.
Upgrade one level from basic(*) and AAA provides you 3 roadside assistance/tows per year
up to 100 miles each. Not just your car, but any car you're in. Best deal around for some of us.

Also I'd additionally carry a hammer and an extension so you can reach the starter for a blow...with help of co-worker.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Understand A and B.

On B, suggest join AAA via phone call. Same day membership benefits as long as car is not disabled at the time.
Upgrade one level from basic(*) and AAA provides you 3 roadside assistance/tows per year
up to 100 miles each. Not just your car, but any car you're in. Best deal around for some of us.

Also I'd additionally carry a hammer and an extension so you can reach the starter for a blow...with help of co-worker.
I used to subscribe to AAA for many years, but they really pissed me off when I tried to use the service for first time.
I waited over 3 hours. And I live in the 3rd largest US city. Beware, there's a reason they're cheap.

·
... don't get caught
279 Posts
I used to subscribe to AAA for many years, but ... I waited over 3 hours.
And I live in the 3rd largest US city. Beware, there's a reason they're cheap.
It's not price, it's coverage for me. I and my sons have used AAA 7 or 10 times and been more than fully pleased,
but I'm in a lesser population density area, not in big city. So, your city is 3rd largest, what's the name?

Only time I waited more than an hour was 11PM, me stopped at rest area on top of mmountain pass
with motorcycle having a flat, and the tow truck came from a town that was a full driving hour away.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's not price, it's coverage for me. I and my sons have used AAA 7 or 10 times and been more than fully pleased,
but I'm in a lesser population density area, not in big city. So, your city is 3rd largest, what's the name?

Only time I waited more than an hour was 11PM, me stopped at rest area on top of mmountain pass
with motorcycle having a flat, and the tow truck came from a town that was a full driving hour away.
Houston. My coworker has experienced similar long delay too.

Now I use a local guy, and he's got to my car very fast.
I probably need AAA for out of town trips...but I most likely won't be doing far away trips on this Altima.

My car wouldn't start again, this weekend. Luckily, car was on driveway. I tested the starter and the switches again. This time, the starter motor wouldn't turn when I bypassed the switches. So, looking like the solenoid is bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts