The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2015 Nissan Altima s 2.4L. I began having acceleration issues about a few weeks ago. It would only be occasionally as I accelerate from a stop or slow turn or VERY LOW speeds. I noticed yesterday that every single time without fail when the car is accelerating poorly or not at all, the brake lights are on while my foot is NOT on the gas. The rpm stays very low as well. It’s to the point where I know exactly when I will have poor acceleration as long as I can look in the rearview mirror and see that third brake light is on. As long as the brake light is off, the car operates normally. Mind you this only happens when my foot is on the accelerator and not on the brake. I have put a new “stop light switch”. But may have not realized it’s sensitivity on position after installing it because it did do it a few times after. Of course every mechanic who’s in this for money tells me it’s the transmission to either sell it or buy a new vehicle. I’m 100% confident that it’s a $20 part as long as I can figure out why the brake lights stay stuck on when my foot is NOT on the brake. Full transparency I have had work on the transmission done by Nissan in the past about a year and a half ago under warranty before hitting the 100,000 extended warranty mile mark. There is no jerking, no boggling, no knocking when shifting whatsoever. This issue is only happening when the brake lights are stuck in the on position. It’s almost as if the vehicles computer thinks the brake is being applied when it’s not, in turn giving me low power or none at all. If anyone has any suggestion this would be great. Also, I noticed the other day the cruise control is not working so I am on the hunt to replace the ASCD cancel switch that’s right behind the Brake pedal as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So if you remember the days when Toyotas would unintentionally accelerate out of control, you may not know this but Nissan already had a safety feature built into the ECM so when the brake is pressed it limits the engine power. This is so if the accelerator is stuck you can still brake the car to a stop. It's not a transmission problem. It sounds like the brake switch is out of adjustment or the pedal is not coming back up to the correct rest position. I believe there's a stop adjustment for the pedal but not sure. I don't have a SM for that vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I’m still having the issue, mostly in stop and go traffic. Usually lightly tapping the breaks and letting go gets them to turn off before being able to accelerate. I’ve replaced the stop light switch but have no way of knowing exactly the right position of that or the brake pedal to get it fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a 2015 Nissan Altima s 2.4L. I began having acceleration issues about a few weeks ago. It would only be occasionally as I accelerate from a stop or slow turn or VERY LOW speeds. I noticed yesterday that every single time without fail when the car is accelerating poorly or not at all, the brake lights are on while my foot is NOT on the gas. The rpm stays very low as well. It’s to the point where I know exactly when I will have poor acceleration as long as I can look in the rearview mirror and see that third brake light is on. As long as the brake light is off, the car operates normally. Mind you this only happens when my foot is on the accelerator and not on the brake. I have put a new “stop light switch”. But may have not realized it’s sensitivity on position after installing it because it did do it a few times after. Of course every mechanic who’s in this for money tells me it’s the transmission to either sell it or buy a new vehicle. I’m 100% confident that it’s a $20 part as long as I can figure out why the brake lights stay stuck on when my foot is NOT on the brake. Full transparency I have had work on the transmission done by Nissan in the past about a year and a half ago under warranty before hitting the 100,000 extended warranty mile mark. There is no jerking, no boggling, no knocking when shifting whatsoever. This issue is only happening when the brake lights are stuck in the on position. It’s almost as if the vehicles computer thinks the brake is being applied when it’s not, in turn giving me low power or none at all. If anyone has any suggestion this would be great. Also, I noticed the other day the cruise control is not working so I am on the hunt to replace the ASCD cancel switch that’s right behind the Brake pedal as well.
I have the same issue with the same car! Any advice?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
There is supposed to be a rubber bumper stop under the brake pedal thinking, when it erodes to fall off it creates that issue. Look around for the hole the rubber part fits in, it will show if part is gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello thank you for your reply. Is what you sent me something official from Nissan? Is that like an official recall for those listed vehicles? Because mine is within those listed vehicles.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hello thank you for your reply. Is what you sent me something official from Nissan? Is that like an official recall for those listed vehicles? Because mine is within those listed vehicles.
Yes it is from Nissan, No, it is not an official recall.

The main difference is that a recall is issued by a vehicle manufacturer for issues that are safety-related, while a TSB covers components that may be malfunctioning but don't compromise the safety of the vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got ya. I’m still having the issue. Trying to avoid taking it to them and then lying to me to get me to spends hundreds or thousands. Is what you sent something I could do myself you think?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts