The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Other Fella
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have taken the plunge. My intake has been installed. My father- inlaw who came in from FLA yesterday helped me install it.

Injen installed pictures

I must say it feels wierd. :D I did get on it on the Staten Island Expressway and it just Rooooooaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrddddddddd. But when driving normal it sounds just a tad louder than stock I like that. Considering It's my family ride, I cant get to crazy with the mods / noise. I will update more when I get a chance to really get a feel for the Injen WAI.

Now I was thinking to compliment my WAI I would go for a LOW sounding Magnaflow Muffler, but not sure. I am debating about a Cat-back or just a muffler, but it really depends on the money. I was lucky to squeeze this WAI in :D

BIG Thanks. to Flare and others here who were so helpfull with my WAI questions.

·
Something Like A Pimp
1,077 Posts
Congrats 2kse. The injen intake looks really nice and the pics are great. I might get that intake for my 1st gen. I currently have the ebay wai which is cool but, I know a real intake is better. How much do those intakes go for thats the first time I saw pics of it.

·
The Other Fella
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Its cool although it's only been a day, but I like it already. I chose the Injen because others seem to like it, and have given Injen WAI/CAI's good reviews. This cost me $199. I know I could have got it cheaper lets say $20/$30 but no one had it in stock. I like that it came with the heat shield (although Im not sure if I need it, or what it does for me). But I wanted polished blue, and wanted something other than a Filter attachment.

brazil5376 RAPID REFUND :D it's nice It cost more than others, but I think you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
31 Posts
This intake looks awesome!

I know that it's made for '98 - '01 Alty's but would it fit in the first gen?
From the looks of it seems that it would, but I'm not so sure if this is the case, does anyone know for sure and what modifications would be necessary?

·
502 Posts
so you say its loud...but how's the performance? let us know how it feels, both high and low end...

congrats on installing the intake successfully! are you coming to the LI meet next week?

·
The Other Fella
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try if this weather.....

ckohl23 said:
so you say its loud...but how's the performance? let us know how it feels, both high and low end...

congrats on installing the intake successfully! are you coming to the LI meet next week?
Hey it's only loud when you get on it. When I was on the expressway, I floored it, that's when you heard it go. But in normal driving it's not loud, as mentioned earlier just a bit louder than stock.

With the rain and all now I realy did not get a chance to give it a good whirl, but I know around 3000 is when I feel a difference. But Im a Noob :D .

As I mentioned in that thread I will try, I have my in-laws in from FLA and they are here till next weekend. But right now I dunno for sure. Wish I can say I'll be there for sure. :(

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
AlienAlt said:
looks good man.....I didnt know that they came with a heat sheild for the filter....hmm.....I like the pipe that is replaced there too....one drawback about the Stillen is that you dont get that..:)
Yeah, I want to get rid of my stock tubing but everyhere I look they dont' sell any replacement tubing. You have to buy the whole intake setup which sux b/c I already got the JWT pop charger.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You don't have to buy the whole kit.. I talked to a guy at Hot Shot and he said you can get just that pipe for 70 bucks. It's a little expensive but I only paid 30 bucks for my filter and MAF adapter plate... so all in all it will be 100 for the same setup.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
hahaha lol altima2kse... that's a catchy thread title you have :) And you're welcome.

But "wow"... I can't believe you took the leap and bought the Injen. Cause for less money, you could have gotten either the Hotshot or Place Racing CAI, and convert those to WAI. And on days when you feel like, you can have a CAI.

Congratulations anyway on a really nice looking piece of hardware. I fully understand about gassing it to hear the engine roar. It doesn't sound like a 4-cyl anymore, doesn't it? :D

And your question about the exhaust. No matter what you do, muffler or full catback (I've done both), it will get loud enough to chirp and/or set of car alarms. Like the intake, it's only loud when accelerating. My Greddy sounds fine when crusing and coasting. But when I go up an incline or accelerate slowly, the noise drones in the passenger cabin. Since you bought the Injen and wires, I can see that you care about squeezing as much performance out of each bottleneck as possible. I think you already have your heart set on a full catback :p (And don't forget the underdrive pulley :p)

·
The Other Fella
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
flarearrow said:
hahaha lol altima2kse... that's a catchy thread title you have :) And you're welcome.

But "wow"... I can't believe you took the leap and bought the Injen. Cause for less money, you could have gotten either the Hotshot or Place Racing CAI, and convert those to WAI. And on days when you feel like, you can have a CAI.

Congratulations anyway on a really nice looking piece of hardware. I fully understand about gassing it to hear the engine roar. It doesn't sound like a 4-cyl anymore, doesn't it? :D

And your question about the exhaust. No matter what you do, muffler or full catback (I've done both), it will get loud enough to chirp and/or set of car alarms. Like the intake, it's only loud when accelerating. My Greddy sounds fine when crusing and coasting. But when I go up an incline or accelerate slowly, the noise drones in the passenger cabin. Since you bought the Injen and wires, I can see that you care about squeezing as much performance out of each bottleneck as possible. I think you already have your heart set on a full catback :p (And don't forget the underdrive pulley :p)
LOL yeah Flare I thought it was funny and catchy :D Thanks

It was a tough choice, I was not sure if I should pay that much, but it was either this one or stillen (which cost a good penny too). I know some mentioned the OBX but I always go cheap on things and this time I wanted to really think about it... and Injen was one. I look at hotshot but I think there was cutting involved and thats why I passed it over. But I can always get the Cold air Polished blue extension in the future.

This sure was a big leap for me :bigok: Now my son has to use his diaper's twice. Ha ha. I just had to hear it ya know the 4 squirels under hood were screaming, a 4-cyl "No WAI... Yes WAI" but I love when I drive normal you dont even notice it's there.

Well now I will have to see what I do about the exhaust, funds are a big factor now, I will keep reading the threads and try to pick up some more poitners... Thanks again, I appreciate your knowledge sharing, it helps a Noob like me out alot.

·
The Other Fella
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
check out this users car

mm347 said:
This intake looks awesome!

I know that it's made for '98 - '01 Alty's but would it fit in the first gen?
From the looks of it seems that it would, but I'm not so sure if this is the case, does anyone know for sure and what modifications would be necessary?
I am not 100% but I think this users has one, you may want toask him what he had to do if anything.

http://www.altimas.net/registry/vehicles.php?vehicleid=742

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Altima2kSE said:
I look at hotshot but I think there was cutting involved and thats why I passed it over. But I can always get the Cold air Polished blue extension in the future.
Hotshot and Place Racing comes in 2 sections. You could have run them with only the upper tubing like the Injen and it will have the same effect. The only time you need to cut is when you want to install the lower tubing, or cold air extension. The Injen extension is going to be the same way, with cutting required. With the Hotshot or Place Racing, you could have 2 intake variations for the price of 1 Injen short ram.

Altima2kSE said:
Well now I will have to see what I do about the exhaust, funds are a big factor now, I will keep reading the threads and try to pick up some more poitners... Thanks again, I appreciate your knowledge sharing, it helps a Noob like me out alot.
If you want to have a true mandrel bent catback, and want to save a couple of bucks, and don't mind taking the time to make the trip out to there.... AlienAlt went to some muffler shop out in Port Jefferson LI that does mendrel bending, and they use Magnaflow mufflers.

And re-using diapers is disgusting, and makes baby cranky :lol: :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts