The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Snow White 3.5 SE
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this happens only after i've had my car shut off for a long time...like, more than 5 or 6 hours. (usually, does it when i get in my car in the morning to start it after all night of sleeping).

ok, what it does is,
when i turn the keys, the engine starts, and it's followed by this very short noise/sound which sounds to me like some sort of chain grinding noise. i have no clue as to what it is, and i haven't taken it to the dealer because if i shut off my car and then start it back up, it won't do it. like i said, only does it after i've had it shut off for a long time.

anybody out there having the same problem? (well...wouldn't call it a problem, since it hasn't done anything bad to the car, but...who knows...)

·
Worship Me !!!
337 Posts
djsung815 said:
this happens only after i've had my car shut off for a long time...like, more than 5 or 6 hours. (usually, does it when i get in my car in the morning to start it after all night of sleeping).

ok, what it does is,
when i turn the keys, the engine starts, and it's followed by this very short noise/sound which sounds to me like some sort of chain grinding noise. i have no clue as to what it is, and i haven't taken it to the dealer because if i shut off my car and then start it back up, it won't do it. like i said, only does it after i've had it shut off for a long time.

anybody out there having the same problem? (well...wouldn't call it a problem, since it hasn't done anything bad to the car, but...who knows...)
Take it to the dealer anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My guess is that you're hearing the ABS self test.

·
Former Alty Owner
3,072 Posts
djsung815 said:

ok, what it does is,

Why don't you try to record the sound if you can.. and post it on here.. I wouldn't mind hearing the sound.. We might all be hearing this sound to a lesser extent..

·
Former Alty Owner
3,072 Posts
300_baud said:
My guess is that you're hearing the ABS self test.
The ABS self test only goes off after the car is motion.. so if your noise happens right when you turn on the car.. it's not this self test

·
Registered
355 Posts
what you hear is most likely the hydraulic tensioner on one of the timing chains. It's common - the dealer probably won't do a thing about it - if it only happens on startup it's fine.

·
Worship Me !!!
337 Posts
javentre said:
...if it only happens on startup it's fine.
Should this be happening at all...I think the answer is no, and if the answer is no then the dealer "should" do something. Or am I just high?!

·
Registered
355 Posts
No, the tensioners are hydraulic .... which means they only provide tension when the oil is pumping into it. It is going to happen when you turn it on because that is when the tensioner in a sense - "turns on" ..... when the oil pressure is great enough to operate it

so the sound is either the tensioner adjusting .... or the tension guide

1 - 8 of 8 Posts