The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, please bear with me on this one. I did search around and will search more, but just wanted to get some idea of how hard it would be for a first timer to do some basic tune up things myself. Here are a few things I think I should be able to do.

Replace Spark Plugs

Replace Spark Plug Wires

Replace Distributor Cap and rotor

Replace fuel filter

Keep in mind I have never done these things before, but I'd like to learn how, not only for the satisfation of being able to do them myself, but to also save some money. You've gotta start somewhere. I do have a Haynes Manual to reference as well.

Are there any other basic tune up things that I'm missing? I know there are more sophisticated procedures like fuel system cleaning, transmission flushes, coolant flushes, etc. that I will leave up to a mechanic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
loserpunkx182 said:
maybe an oil change:dunno: dependin how long ago it was done....
Ya, I get the oil changes every 3,000 miles...lol

I do take it to a quick lube type of place, though. I realize this is something I could do as well, but haven't as of yet.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thajones said:
Air filter
Orininally posted by Altima95GXE
Replace the air filter... Try to use a K&N or a Green Filter, they are 1,000,000mile gauranteed!
I should've mentioned I've got an Injen intake, but that brings up a good point. How long should the Injen filter last (under normal conditions) before needing cleaning or replacing?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How hard is it to change the fuel filter?

I was just going over some of my car records and when I had the fuel filter replaced about a year ago by my mechanic, they charged about $50 dollars for it. A new fuel filter from Courtesy Nissan online is only $12.08.

Do you think I got charged that much more because of the difficulty of the install?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Michael4613 said:
How hard is it to change the fuel filter?

I was just going over some of my car records and when I had the fuel filter replaced about a year ago by my mechanic, they charged about $50 dollars for it. A new fuel filter from Courtesy Nissan online is only $12.08.

Do you think I got charged that much more because of the difficulty of the install?
its not hard to do but the fuel lines can be a pain in the ass if they are old... i changed mine recently (I bought a 98 alty with 24k miles and changed the fuel filter for the first time at around 130k, i know i know).. anyhow I had to cut my lines off it with a razor blade then go get some new ones from the dealership (which i guess is a good thing, new is better than old right?.. anyhow once i had got them cut off actually putting the new ones on and such took about 30 min or so.. its located on the firewall, driviers side.

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
ya, go for it...

omg $50 to change a fuel filter.. i would be livid.. but i quit taking my car to mechanics because they are generally incompetant...

i forked to take my car to the dealership in the hope that they were honest and knew what they were doing.

i'm a dumb f3cking rag.

do it yourself. that way u dont get bearings dropped in your engine and tranny to ensure business :rolleyes:

the only thing i would worry about on that list is plugs..

pls, do it only when the engine is very cold, and when u put the new ones in - go finger tight thena 1/4 turn if you dont have a torque wrench. u really dont wanna strip the soft aluminum heads..

its all pretty simple, with the dizzy make sure u get the wires in the right places by labelling them or something. fuel filter is common sense, just 2 screws... and alot of twisting the rubber lines off. have some wd40 handy and depressurize the system by pulling the fuel pump fuse in your drivers side fuse panel..

have fun, save money, and most importantly put mechanics out of a job. bastards. (except shawn!!) ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bump

Can someone please tell me what kind of torque wrench to get?

I see there's one that is 3/8" and 1/2" (looking on sears.com). I need this to change the spark plugs and also to install my new strut bar.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I use a 3/8 drive on most fasteners. You can buy them scaled from 0 to 280 inch lbs or from 0 to 100 ft-lbs.

I use a 0 to 200 ft lb scaled 1/2 inch drive on lug nuts and other larger fasteners with higher torque specs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts