The Nissan Club banner

801 - 820 of 875 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello
I Am new here as well,
have some mods done, and a few in works but for now I have a new question for the stalwarts

often times I am driving around and I attempt to close the driver side window ( glass) it'll reach all the way to the top, act stunned ( few millisecond delay) and then return to about a third open - as if it encountered some obstruction from fully closing - although it does close as seen from where I am. in fact I can hear it hit the full close.

my work around till now has been either wait a few mins or close in in small increments till its almost closed ( to about 2mm space) wait a few mins and then close it all the way again - and then it'll close fine
OR
if i have to get out, park, close window and open door with close window button still pressed so that the auto close function is inactive. close door & lock

this always happens only when car is in motion. Its the opposite of what I have read on altima car windows - most people have trouble with them opening spontaneously while parked - most from accidental pressing of lock button on key fob.

any ideas of what is wrong and how to fix ?

·
Shaving My Shoulders
3,533 Posts
:wave: :welcome:

Looks like your limit switch, from this thread a while back:

There are a few threads about this...Typically from poeple who had a grounding kit installed (search hint):

I think it's a "limit switch" reset issue (from the shop manual):

·
It's all Gravy, baby!
5,137 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I appreciate it, bro. Actually, I'm just messing with you guys. I've been around for a long while. Glad to see there are plenty of helpful members on the forums though.

LOL! I wondered who'd call me out first.
I saw that you had a lot of posts and assumed you were new to Altimas but not Nissans.

·
It's all Gravy, baby!
5,137 Posts
I saw that you had a lot of posts and assumed you were new to Altimas but not Nissans.
Nah, had more than a few Nissans and this is my 2nd Altima (sister has one too - 4th gen 2.5S). This is my first 2.5 though so I will actually be looking through the posts in both of those links you posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I have a 2003 Nissan Altima with a driver side front power window that can only go up. This started right after I had to have a locksmith break into my car because my battery was dead (manual key wouldn't open the lock either). My first assumption was that the torque placed on wedging the door open to insert the pole to unlock my car may have bent the regulator in some way that didn't allow the window to roll down, but after replacing the regulator, I'm still in the same boat. Then it dawned on me that I'd had my battery replaced as well, so I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to see if that would fix the issue, but it didn't. Now I'm not sure if this is an issue with the motor or maybe with the switch itself. All other power windows in my car work normally using the same switch on the driver side door.

Any ideas?

·
It's all Gravy, baby!
5,137 Posts
Hi, I have a 2003 Nissan Altima with a driver side front power window that can only go up....Any ideas?
Hmm... When you were replacing the regulator did you notice anything else that may have been damaged by the locksmith? Do you hear any clicking in the door while hitting the switch?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am not sure if you can, but I would check to see if the wires on the down side have power when the switch is pressed. Maybe there is a short or break on that side.

·
Shaving My Shoulders
3,533 Posts
Might be a stretch but could be the limit switch in the regulator. Window might think it's all the way down all the time.

Search limit switch reset there are a few posts myself and others have put up with procedure directly out of the FSM.

EDIT

Here we go...Again just throwing this in the mix as a possibility - may not be the answer not sure though as you said you replaced it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmm... When you were replacing the regulator did you notice anything else that may have been damaged by the locksmith? Do you hear any clicking in the door while hitting the switch?
Nope, nothing weird or unusual looking...you can hear the motor engage when I hit the up switch, but nothing when I hit down. Other than that, everything else seems normal.

801 - 820 of 875 Posts