The Nissan Club banner

821 - 840 of 875 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not sure if you can, but I would check to see if the wires on the down side have power when the switch is pressed. Maybe there is a short or break on that side.
Does each window have it's own set of "down" wires on that driver side panel? I ask only because all the other windows work normally from that same panel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Might be a stretch but could be the limit switch in the regulator. Window might think it's all the way down all the time.
I've run across the limit switch reset steps before, but I assumed that if the window couldn't roll down already, that this wouldn't work. I suppose if it thinks it's always all the way down though, then resetting that might do the trick...I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've run across the limit switch reset steps before, but I assumed that if the window couldn't roll down already, that this wouldn't work. I suppose if it thinks it's always all the way down though, then resetting that might do the trick...I'll give it a shot.
No dice on resetting the limit switch...which means I'm down to a faulty motor or a faulty switch. I used a voltage tester to check the leads in the switch and I'm not getting power to the driver side down wire, so I'm assuming it's just the switch. I'm going to order a new one and hopefully that solves my issue. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm a noob and I have a general question.

02 3.5SE, timing chain noise and burns oil. Heard that 02-04 VQ35 engines had crappy piston rings, therefore burn oil. As for the timing chain noise, do I need new tensioners or can I just replace the nylon shoes on the tensioners themselves?

Also true or false, there's 3 timing chains and 3 tensioners?

·
Shaving My Shoulders
3,533 Posts
True - there is one primary timing chain and 2 secondaries. While I'm pretty sure what you need to do (most likely the secondary tensioners) there are a few others here that really know their stuff...Among a few more here....
@Penguinchit @4DZC @d0ugmac1 @Sideways the Seven @BPuff57

These guys can all definitely help you out with the specifics.

I'm away from my pc at work so I grabbed this off google...

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,548 Posts
I think you might be avoiding the pink elephant....

If it was just timing chain noise, I'd say proceed with the tensioner service. However, the combination of noise and burning oil, plus the year range 02-04, leads me suspect you've had/are having pre-cat failure. Google for details, but short story, it turns your oil into toothpaste (oil plus ceramic catalyst dust) which accelerates wear of all moving parts (like chains and rings).

My advice would be first to have compression checked, and if it's consistently low across all cylinders, I'd say the engine is terminal already. If easier/cheaper you could try dropping the precats for inspection...but I have to believe that's more work and still won't tell you if the engine is worth saving--just that the precats could need replacing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think you might be avoiding the pink elephant....

If it was just timing chain noise, I'd say proceed with the tensioner service. However, the combination of noise and burning oil, plus the year range 02-04, leads me suspect you've had/are having pre-cat failure. Google for details, but short story, it turns your oil into toothpaste (oil plus ceramic catalyst dust) which accelerates wear of all moving parts (like chains and rings).

My advice would be first to have compression checked, and if it's consistently low across all cylinders, I'd say the engine is terminal already. If easier/cheaper you could try dropping the precats for inspection...but I have to believe that's more work and still won't tell you if the engine is worth saving--just that the precats could need replacing.
I haven't done a compression/leakdown test yet, but I did get rid of my pre-cats right around 110k miles. Bought a set of headers + Y pipe to replace with. I had just gotten the P0420 cat below efficiency code, but when I inspected the precats there wasn't any obvious damage/breakdown yet. Not saying some of the dust didn't make its way into the engine, but no actual pieces.

Should I just look into getting a good used engine from an 05-06? Or wait til I do a compression test?

·
5,548 Posts
Depends on how your fuel economy and oil consumption are. If both are pretty poor,then I'd skip the test...the engine will have all sorts of other issues shortly..ie the timing chains which have already shown themselves. If you are still getting reasonable mileage and the oil consumption is manageable, it's a good test to see if it is wear across all cylinder, or if only one or two are the culprit. The compression test would give you relatively cheap info on how to proceed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My mileage is actually pretty good, usually between 23 and 27 mpg depending how I drive. I have the 5MT by the way. Oil consumption kind of sucks though, I'd say around 1 quart per 1000-1500 miles.

I'll try and do a compression test and see what results I get. It runs and drives great, plenty of power. And the timing chain noise is just every once in a while on cold start there's a second or 2 of rattling. Maybe 1 in 10 startups it happens. I don't have the whining noise others have when accelerating.

·
5,548 Posts
Ok, if you can live with the oil guzzling, then I'd say leave it at that. The timing chain guides are like open heart surgery..and why would you do that if the liver is terminal (bad analogy, but you get the point of not spending to fix the heart if another major organ is failing).

·
Registered
147 Posts
That's pretty much what everyone has been telling me. Just keep feeding it oil until it dies or I get another one. I'm tempted to rebuild it out of principle though... just to see if it can be done. I'm going to pull it in the garage this weekend and do a compression test and a leakdown test and see how bad it is.

·
5,548 Posts
That's pretty much what everyone has been telling me. Just keep feeding it oil until it dies or I get another one. I'm tempted to rebuild it out of principle though... just to see if it can be done. I'm going to pull it in the garage this weekend and do a compression test and a leakdown test and see how bad it is.
I have no idea how handy you are with a wrench, but better read the 300HP NA thread by M-train if you go the rebuild route. FWIW I think you can get a reman 3.5 long block from Nissan in the $2800USD range (online pricing). Not cheap, but it may preserve your sanity and get you back on the road in days instead of weeks. There's another group out in the Seattle area that does 3.5 rebuilds and reinstalls for $4K all in with a warranty.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,211 Posts
My mileage is actually pretty good, usually between 23 and 27 mpg depending how I drive. I have the 5MT by the way. Oil consumption kind of sucks though, I'd say around 1 quart per 1000-1500 miles.

I'll try and do a compression test and see what results I get. It runs and drives great, plenty of power. And the timing chain noise is just every once in a while on cold start there's a second or 2 of rattling. Maybe 1 in 10 startups it happens. I don't have the whining noise others have when accelerating.
I've noticed on mine that there is a direct correlation between the timing chain rattle and my oil level. Mine is starting to burn more oil (looking into it and an oil catch can project), and that was why I was noticing the rattle. Try keeping a super close eye on your oil level and see if the sound completely goes away. If it does, it's not the timing chain guides, it's oil consumption.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,211 Posts
I have no idea how handy you are with a wrench, but better read the 300HP NA thread by M-train if you go the rebuild route. FWIW I think you can get a reman 3.5 long block from Nissan in the $2800USD range (online pricing). Not cheap, but it may preserve your sanity and get you back on the road in days instead of weeks. There's another group out in the Seattle area that does 3.5 rebuilds and reinstalls for $4K all in with a warranty.
The rebuild of the motor isn't the super hard part... it's the tranny that seems to cause issues. M had his up and running once he figured out the small problems keeping it from running. That trans, though... Ugh.

·
5,548 Posts
...mmmmhhhmmm Suspect that particular transmission is out back somewhere with some large caliber dents in it.

·
5,548 Posts
821 - 840 of 875 Posts