The Nissan Club banner

861 - 880 of 881 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry totally forgot to mention. Just under 194,000km, and automatic transmission. Thanks for the quick reply I will definitely check those things. Are these cars "generally" considered reliable?
Thanks for the quick reply :grin
Generally speaking, yes they are fairly reliable. You can find plenty with alot more miles than that still running. Checking and changing regular maintenance items like fluids, belts, and hoses should keep it going for a while. If it was the 2.5L I would say stay away. My precats went on the 3.5 too, so I replaced them with headers.

Occasionally on this generation of Nissan, cam or crank position sensors go bad and cause no start/stalling issues but those are easy fixes. If you get a misfire on the 3.5 it's usually from a bad coil pack or 2 (theres 6 so if one goes just change all 6). Changing the rear 3 (including spark plugs) requires you to pull the intake plenum off since they are under it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello

im chem im looking at a 2006 nissan altima with the 2.5 auto im thinking about getting this car it has 121 ,000 miles and everything seem okay. oil and transmission fluid changed changed are on point and it drives pretty okay there's some kick on the 1-2 shift but she has a lot of power. i heard about the oil consumption and that what backing me off it do anyone who has this model can shed some light on how reliable and how if well taken care of how long she will last

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do some looking around on the forum I am sure they have had some issues with every gen. I don't know myself. I would say like any used car it comes down to how long you need it to last and the price.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Generally speaking, yes they are fairly reliable. You can find plenty with alot more miles than that still running. Checking and changing regular maintenance items like fluids, belts, and hoses should keep it going for a while. If it was the 2.5L I would say stay away. My precats went on the 3.5 too, so I replaced them with headers.

Occasionally on this generation of Nissan, cam or crank position sensors go bad and cause no start/stalling issues but those are easy fixes. If you get a misfire on the 3.5 it's usually from a bad coil pack or 2 (theres 6 so if one goes just change all 6). Changing the rear 3 (including spark plugs) requires you to pull the intake plenum off since they are under it.
Appreciate that rundown as i'm likely buying an 02 3.5 on Monday. The price is really good so even if I sink a few bucks into it I won't complain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is it necessary to change the CVT transmission fluid....or recommended??

I hear both.

"You definitely hAVE TO change it and I work for nissan as their head mechanic for the race team Etc Etc"

"You definitely DO NOT have to as its a non serviceable part and I work at a nissan dealership as an ASE certified mechanic AND I have a snap on tool set.blah blah blah"

Which is it????? Thanks :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, change it. I would only ever go to the dealer with a cvt as well, to expensive to monkey with trying to save a couple hundred dollars. 4k to replace, spend some on maintenance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, change it. I would only ever go to the dealer with a cvt as well, to expensive to monkey with trying to save a couple hundred dollars. 4k to replace, spend some on maintenance.
No
So change it...got it..... What if you are semi mechanical? certainly done Oil, shocks, brakes, radio\stereo, radiator changes even did the valve adjustment on my 12 Suzuki v strom.......

I am so "scared" of stealerships for the usual reasons ( and general incompetence or just lack of caring )

:surprise

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, just picked up a 2006 altima 2.5s 98k miles. I've been researching about the butterfly screw issue from the 4 cyl in the early 2000's and the pre-cats.

I've seen some folks here put down info that it appears Nissan fixed the butterfly valve screw problem on QR25DE's built for 2006 (as the recall was only 02-05), I've seen some folks elsewhere say to go in an loctite them anyway. Now that we're over a decade down the road does that ring true? Is it something I should do just preventative maintenance? Or is it just fine?

Secondly the pre-cat issue. Should I be worried and go in and either knock out the cat or buy some aftermarket cat-less exhaust headers? Or with how well its been maintained and driven and almost 100k as is, should it be alright? It seems to drive beautifully smooth.

This is going to be our family car for as long as we can keep it rolling, so I'm trying to make sure anything I can do preventative, is taken care of.

Thank you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the butterfly screw. As far as the cats go, if the car didnt have both the camshaft pos sensor and the crankshaft position sensor (both are the same part) changed; then the cats will have been damaged. If that is the case then put in the new metallic position sensor(the faulty ones were plastic) in both places and probably a good idea to get new cats or else just straight pipes if the law allows. If the cats are damaged you run the risk of ceramic dust getting sucked into the motor and ruining it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Appreciate that, I'm going to check those sensors tomorrow. Priced out a couple in advance just to be ready.
Would you have any recommendations on cats and catless exhaust manifolds (debating catless for the short term at least due to budget)?
Figure I'd ask before diving into this, maybe just maybe I'm going to get lucky and the sensors you mentioned were already swapped. The last owners really were ontop of things so. But I'm still preparing for whatever.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry i have no info for you on headers because they are against the law where i live in Ontario Canada. I replaced both my cats and both sensors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok I'm totally lost on this one so any help would be thankful for. So I got a 2004 nissan maxima I had the timing noise issue so I changed the 3 guides an the one tensioner for the main chain. Also change both valve cover gaskets. But now the car wont start an I know forsure it didnt jump time and it's getting spark on all cylinders an fuel an I have compression. Also the battery is good but I'm not throwing any codes. Only thing I can think would had went wrong is when I was taking it apart I touched a pry bar from the manifold to the positive side of the battery it sparked melted a little of the post an shocked me a bit but all fuses are good. At this point I really got no idea what wrong could really use some help please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello to everyone. I'm hoping I can get some help/advice/guidance from someone?
I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5SL. Good little car, and I enjoy it. It has the Bose stereo system with the Navigation screen above it and the 6 CD changer in the trunk. I have attached a picture for reference. The Nav screen also give you information like trip mileage, gas mpg, warns when service is due, etc. I would like to possibly replace the stereo with something more modern, specifically something that has bluetooth. With Pandora/Spotify/Music in the clouds.....I feel like I'm missing out. I don't know if there is an "aux" input on the backside of this stereo, but there sure isn't one on the front. But, i'm not sure how to approach this upgrade. By that I mean, since the whole center console seems to be connected(stereo, AC controls, nav screen), what the heck do I do? I'm hoping some other members have upgraded their stereos and can post a few pictures? Did you have the Nav screen removed, and if so what did you put in it's place? Did you use a double din stereo and some kind of insert so it looks good? Leave the Nav screen in place? Hopefully I'm conveying my confusion correctly, as I'm just not sure how to picture what needs to happen. I need some ideas from people that have already done this. Keep in mind, I do not plan to do any of this work myself. I've switched out or hooked up stereos before, but those were simple projects where you upgraded a crappy factory stereo with a nicer stereo, and just had to pop the old one out and slide the new one in place. Usually same wire harness and everything. But with this Altima(and the Nav screen, CD changer controls, steering wheel controls, etc), it's way out of my comfort zone. But I don't even know what to tell a car installation place I want to have done, since I don't have any ideas of what COULD be done.

Thanks in advance for any help, insight, suggestions, etc.
Rich

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,667 Posts
What's the model number on the front of the radio..something like PY05F should be found in a corner of the bezel somewhere. My '03 non-Bose had an 8-pin DIN that could be configured as a stereo AUX in. If the sat radio isn't integrated, that's another path for an AUX input. Maybe something cheap and cheerful like this would get you what you want without a ton of trouble...

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's the model number on the front of the radio..something like PY05F should be found in a corner of the bezel somewhere. My '03 non-Bose had an 8-pin DIN that could be configured as a stereo AUX in. If the sat radio isn't integrated, that's another path for an AUX input. Maybe something cheap and cheerful like this would get you what you want without a ton of trouble...

Thanks for the response. I should have been more clear. I'll have to check the model number on the stereo. There is no AUX input on the front, I'm sure of that. And I don't want to open the console to see if there is one on back(shouldn't be that hard to get to it right?). I do have a FM transmitter, and it works ok. Not the greatest signal(more static than I would like, no matter what frequency I tune to), so I was really hoping to get a new stereo system installed. Just not sure what it would, or should, look like with the Nav screen and all(does it stay, go, still work, etc).

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,667 Posts
Ok, here's what I'd do...since I'm guessing you don't have the sat radio or arent subscribing... Use the sat radio inputs R+/L+/(R-+L-) to R/L/Common on a 3.5mm stereo plug. Because the inputs are differential (ie R+/R-) you need to tie the -ve inputs together to the common or ground.
Capture.JPG

Have a look at p.25 of the AV section of the FSM for more detail.

861 - 880 of 881 Posts