The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, I'm another newbie coming and annoying you with my lame questions and constant whinning. The good part is that I didn't come straight to you guys. I've paid my dues over the last couple of days searching the internet and reading the FAQs.
So here's the deal, I'm getting a 98 GXE. My concern is that it is automatic (I have no choice about this, it a hand-me-down from a family member). I've been looking at some performance upgrades such as a Dragon intake from weapon-r and a ram air attachment, exhaust (can't deciede, help would be appreciated), and some basic stuff like plugs and wires.
My question is: is there any point in trying to put mods on an automatic. If so....What? I have never owned an auto before and, it just doesn't see like I would get the same response out of it.
help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
348 Posts
An auto will always be slow unless you put nitrous or a Turbo on it. :p

I have one and I want to get ride of it.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
wizard, don't get the weapon-r. It's over priced and not that effective. The ram air doesn't really work. It's a gimmick.

If you want an effective intake, have a look at the Hotshot and Place Racing CAI, the Stillen WAI, JWT popcharger, the K&N FIPK for the old school SE-R. If you want an inexpensive intake, have a look at the link in my sig.

And with the upgrades I made to my auto, I went from high 9's to high 8's for the my 0-60.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flarearrow, I see you have Greddy exhaust. On their website, Greddy says their catback fits up to 97 altima's. But you have it on your post 97. Will it fit a 98 GXE?

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
wizard,

That's the funny thing. The platform of both the 1st and 2nd gen Altimas are the same (Can I say that?) The GReddy catback will "fit" on any Altima, but it's like a hit or miss after you have it hanged up under the car and it's time to bolt it to the catalytic converter. Sometimes the catback is short by 3" and doesn't reach the cat, and you have to extend the pipe. Or it's too long and you have to cut the pipe to shorten it. Or if you're the lucky one, the catback will be a direct fit.

I'm a lucky one.

·
I'm The Yellow Member
5,268 Posts
My cat was too long. Since the staight pipe instead of the cat is illegal, then why some companies sell straight pipes? How will someone ever know if you're running a straight pipe? You can still pass emissions with it as well..

·
many words, few of wisdom
1,214 Posts
the thing is some people like me living in CA cant pass emissions without the cat, and there are offcourse noise regulations to follow in some places too, but offcouse some people dont care about such things

·
many words, few of wisdom
1,214 Posts
i can "pass" too but not eveyone gots the hookup

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
benssax said:
An auto will always be slow unless you put nitrous or a Turbo on it. :p
stock for stock, a manual will smoke an auto. with a TC and VB upgrade, the manual will be pressed to keep up with an auto. your ride should be specific... if you want fast wide open long straights, stick with an auto. you want the downshifting, engine braking, technical courses, manuals the way to go. but comparably, put a built juiced and or turboed manual against a built juiced and or turboed auto, the Auto will rule all.

·
Registered
787 Posts
well said, personally i like manual but i really like twisty roads with tight turns. if you get a kick from dragraceing than auto is the way to go, most prodraggers run like 3spd autos if i remember correctly.
And just becouse it was handed down doesnt mean you have to stick with it, you could always sell it and buy a manual for around the same price, but this would leave you without a car in the meantime.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts