The Nissan Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Code Monkey
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might be due to the fact that I'm in Toronto and we really salt our roads when the weather gets bad, but - I'm noticing some little rust spots - no larger than a 1/2 a millimeter in diameter - just little dots on my door panels and front fender - this was while I was toweling dry my car after coming out of a car wash.

Maybe you guys will notice too - I had to be really close to the car to see it - almost 2 or 3 inches close to see. My car is velvet beige (aka chamois)

Do you guys think it is the metallic paint that is doing this? What can I do to keep the car from developing these rust spots?

Joe :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Can't be rust on a surface that does not hold water. For it to be rusting already it would have had to have started before they painted it! Go to the dealer and show them, please keep us posted, if it's rust!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also noticed rust spots when I was coming out of a particular car wash around Christmas time. Found out it had all to do with the recycled water they use in car washs. Nothing to worry about. Lesson to learn, now I wash my own car...

Bugsy

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had this problem once and i was told it was break dust on the paint... I did not wash That car for like 3 or 4 months. NOT THIS CAR.... THis was on a silver sentra. They said break dust gets on the car then moister from the air in the mornings and nights will cause it to rust on the paint... THEY SAID THIS IS THE KEY.... IS THE RUST ON THE INSIDE bubbling up from metal OR it is on the top of the paint. If you can wipe off the rust spots it is on the OUT side of paint and it being caused by out side factors

·
Senior Code Monkey
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ppeter78 said:
I had this problem once and i was told it was break dust on the paint... I did not wash That car for like 3 or 4 months. NOT THIS CAR.... THis was on a silver sentra. They said break dust gets on the car then moister from the air in the mornings and nights will cause it to rust on the paint... THEY SAID THIS IS THE KEY.... IS THE RUST ON THE INSIDE bubbling up from metal OR it is on the top of the paint. If you can wipe off the rust spots it is on the OUT side of paint and it being caused by out side factors
Yeah, but it took some good elbow grease to get it off ...

I don't know ... you'll have to see it ...

·
My little champion...
5,253 Posts
Rust dots on edges of trunk...

Went to the gas station today and while pumping gas noticed four dots on the edges of the trunk. At first I thought it was dirt or something that could be easily removed. I tried to scrape it off but had a hard time - it is still there - so I'm going to the dealership tomorrow for them to take a look at it.

My car is Sheer Silver in color. I checked the rest of the body but did not see any other little dots. It has been sometime since I washed the car... Too early to see any signs of rust... I am dissapointed...

·
changeyour|gameplan
1,049 Posts
i've found a few rust areas under the trunk lid outside of the seal. i park on a downhill slope diagonal on the street. water lays up in there if it rains or i wash it... :( they wiped right off with some cleaner, but still.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
2002Altima said:
OH YEAH!

Corrosion Warranty
Protection against perforation rust and against surface rust.
5 years at unlimited miles.
Without looking in my booklet I can't be sure, but I'm pretty sure the corrosion warranty doesn't cover surface rust...only rust through.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well......I believe they call it fall out. I had a 2000 Dodge Dakota and it had little pin sized rust spots all over it. The call it fall out. Basicly it is really small peices of metal that stick to the clear coat. Then it rusts. To rid yourself of the spots you need to get a clay bar and a solution. Macguaire makes a kit. Basicly it is a really soft rubbing compound and it takes the metal shavings out of the clear coat. I don't think this is normal but dodge says it is. And this is what you could be seeing. They said the reason for this is the type of paint they use now. It is not lead based and is a softer paint then the older paint.

Jay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.