The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what it means but my service engine light is on but I want to know what it means when the o/d light blinks. It blinks 14 times or something. Anyone have any clue

·
552nd Aircraft Maint. Sq.
363 Posts
Your O/D light is just like a check engine light. When the ECU detects a problem, it will turn on the check engine light. When the TCM detects a problem with the transmission, it will turn on the O/D light. When you saw the flashing of the O/D light it flashed ten times. One of those flashes were longer than the other nine. Which flash was longer is an indication of what the problem you are having is. Below is a list of problems; find out which flash is longer and then tell us, and we wil help you out from there. Hope this helps!

Ten flashes of equal length=Everything OK

First flash longer than the others=Vehicle Speed Sensor(Revolution Sensor)

Second flash longer than the others=Vehicle Speed Sensor Meter

Third flash longer than the others=Throttle Position Sensor

Fourth flash longer than the others=Shift Solenoid Valve A

Fifth flash longer than the others=Shift Solenoid Valve B

Sixth flash longer than the others=Overrun Clutch Solenoid Valve

Seventh flash longer than the others=Torque Converter Clucth Solenoid Valve

Eigth flash longer than the others=Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor And TCM Power Source

Ninth flash longer than the others=Engine Speed Signal

Tenth flash longer than the others=Line Pressure Solenoid Valve

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It blinked 16 times. I don't know what the hell is wrong with it and it seemed like the first one was the longest

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No way, The dealership would rape me in my ass and then steal my wallet. Anybody else have any ideas on what this could be

·
363 Posts
jree said:
It blinked 16 times. I don't know what the hell is wrong with it and it seemed like the first one was the longest
Try this:
Move the selector lever to the "P" position, and warm up the engine to normal operating temperature. Turn the car off and wait at least five seconds. Turn the ignition switch on (with out starting the car.) Your O/D light should come on. If it does continue with the steps below. If it does not, you have a problem with the TCM power or ground circuits.

Be sure to follow these steps EXACTLY as listed below or you will have to start all over.

1) Turn ignition switch to acc position.
2) Move selector lever from "P" to "D"
3) Turn ignition switch to the on position (do not start car)
4) Depress and hold the overdrive control switch in the "off" position (O/D light will come on)
5) Turn ignition switch to off position
6) Turn ignition switch to on position (do not start car)
7) Release the overdrive control switch (O/D light will be off)
8) Wait two seconds
9) Move selector lever to "2" position
10) Depress and release the overdrive control switch (O/D light will be on)
11) Depress and hold the overdrive control switch (O/D light will be off)
12) Move selector lever to the "1" position
13) Release overdrive control switch
14) Depress and release the overdrive control switch (O/D light will be on)
15) Depress and release the overdrive control switch again (O/D light will be off)
16) Depress and hold the overdrive control switch (O/D light will be on)
17) Depress acellerator pedal fully and release
18) Release the overdrive control switch (O/D light will begin to flash)

Now the light should flash ten times. Refer to my above post as to what the problem might be. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps!

If after step nuber four your O/D light did not come on, you have a problem with your Park/Neutral Position (PNP), Overdrive Control, or Throttle Position Switch (TPS) circuit.

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a little problem with step 7 b/c of step 6. My overdrive automatically turns on when you start the car up.

·
363 Posts
In step four, did you press the overdrive button and let it go right away, or did you hold it in until step seven? You should have held it in until step seven. What trouble code is the ECU throwing out?

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fatdaddy66 said:
In step four, did you press the overdrive button and let it go right away, or did you hold it in until step seven? You should have held it in until step seven. What trouble code is the ECU throwing out?

I have know idea what code it is. I don't know how to find it

·
363 Posts
In the driver's foot well is where the computer is located behind the plastic piece by the gas pedal. Take your key and turn it to the on position. Look on the ECU, you should see a flathead screw on the driver's side. Turn this flathead screw completely clockwise. Wait at least 2 seconds. Now turn it back fully counterclockwise. The check engine light will then blink the trouble code. Count how many long blinks and how many short blinks, then tell us what you find out. Hope this helps!

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after all the steps does the od light turn on and then start the 10 blinks or is it as soon as the light turns on it counts as one of the blinks. B/C it stayed on and then blinked 10 times and the last one was the longest. As far as the ecu thingy, I can't find the damn thing. I don't care if you think I am an idiot or not, I am just frustrated and it is dark outside

·
363 Posts
jree said:
after all the steps does the od light turn on and then start the 10 blinks or is it as soon as the light turns on it counts as one of the blinks. B/C it stayed on and then blinked 10 times and the last one was the longest. As far as the ecu thingy, I can't find the damn thing. I don't care if you think I am an idiot or not, I am just frustrated and it is dark outside
Whoa there partner, nobody said anything about you being an idiot. The screw that you need to turn on the ECU is behind the black plastic piece to the right of the accelerator pedal. As for the O/D question, the light will come on, and then starts the ten blinks. Any other questions, don't be afraid to ask!

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know that noone said I was an idiot. I am just getting frustrated with all of this and I appreciate all the help you are giving to me. People on this board are very quilk to flame so sorry for the snappiness. And if it turns on and then blinks, the tenth one is the longest b/c it stays on

·
363 Posts
Twelve long blinks and five short blinks is the Line Pressure Solenoid Valve. The O/D code means the same thing, tenth flash being the longest would also mean Line Pressure Solenoid Valve.

I know that the line pressure solenoid valve regulates the oil pump discharge pressure. I can't say I know much else about that, maybe someone else can help you out on that one. All I can say is check the harness or connectors for an open or a short.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts