The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, just trying to diagnose what's going on with the wife's car.
  • 08 Altima, 2.5SL ... CVT .. 140k miles
The dash starts flashing, and all sorts of odd things happen.
  • New battery in the car (<6 months old)
Volt tested alternator, seems normal output. No abnormal draw on the battery. Any thoughts/direction? (appreciate it)

(trying to post a video, first post wont allow me to ... ill see if i can make a comment)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever figure it out? My 2008 Altima is doing something like that it’ll just die out of nowhere after lights flicker on and off. New battery new alternator still having problems

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you say "just die out of nowhere" I'm assuming you mean the engine dies and shuts off for no apparent reason. If that's correct then you may have a defective ignition relay. I have never had this issue, however while doing research on sudden engine shutdowns with electrical problems, it turned out that in most cases it was a bad ignition relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you ever figure it out? My 2008 Altima is doing something like that it’ll just die out of nowhere after lights flicker on and off. New battery new alternator still having problems
Unfortunately not. It's a sporadic issue, sometimes it'll go months without doing it again. I've had it once where it was flashing, doing all sorts of crazy stuff... couldnt shut the car off. Would love to have some sort of suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That sucks. Mine won’t do it unless I drive over like 60mph then the lights flicker and eventually I can’t accelerate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you say "just die out of nowhere" I'm assuming you mean the engine dies and shuts off for no apparent reason. If that's correct then you may have a defective ignition relay. I have never had this issue, however while doing research on sudden engine shutdowns with electrical problems, it turned out that in most cases it was a bad ignition relay.
The engine doesn’t die is the weird thing just the battery but the engine stays running.

·
dat man in a black sedan
136 Posts
@d0ugmac1 not sure if youve seen this already or not, but you always have my vote of confidence good sir

to the OP, im not directly familiar with this issue, but it might be the ECU shorting out. I assume that in your battery checking, you also looked at the pos and neg wires themselves looking for snags or frays. Alternatively, a pinched wire elsewhere could be feeding voltage back to one of the cars computers making it freak out for a bit. thats my $0.02 and it might be worth less than $0.02 FWIW

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,423 Posts
Electrical gremlins are the worst. Unfortunately there's not enough consistent info on this particular issue/thread to 'bite' on...bit like staring at a rounded off nut IMHO. I've got nothing to add at this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Electrical gremlins are the worst. Unfortunately there's not enough consistent info on this particular issue/thread to 'bite' on...bit like staring at a rounded off nut IMHO. I've got nothing to add at this point.
Yeah i figured, it was a stretch.. electrical problems are the worst to back track. Was mainly hoping to see if it was a common issue etc

Thanks for giving it a look

·
dat man in a black sedan
136 Posts
well, your input is always appreciated. Thanks man!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another thing you might want to check is alternator ripple voltage. If the alternator has a diode starting to go bad it can put out an AC voltage exceeding .3 - .5 V which is above the acceptable limit. This voltage can cause all sorts of unpredictable electrical problems. They make inexpensive battery testers now that have a ripple voltage test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts