The Nissan Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so i had come home from work Thursday and everything was fine. I came back out for me and the wife to go to the gym and it was an odd rattling sound when i turned the heat on. Never heard it before. Can anyone point me in the direction of what it might be? Im gonna try and uoload the vid i took of it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Alright so i had come home from work Thursday and everything was fine. I came back out for me and the wife to go to the gym and it was an odd rattling sound when i turned the heat on. Never heard it before. Can anyone point me in the direction of what it might be? Im gonna try and uoload the vid i took of it
Getting a leaf or other debris caught in the "squirrel cage" type fan is common on Altimas. A rattling which changes in pitch with fan speed is the result. Part of the problem is that some trim level Altimas were not shipped with a cabin air filter to catch such debris. Also, the filter housing is in such an awkward location that the cabin filter sometimes gets bunched up or installed incorrectly, which means it is not giving full protection.

I believe that one needs to remove the glove compartment to get access to the fan housing in order to remove the debris. There should be a thread with photos of the fan removal process on this forum if you use the search function.

Here is one of the links I found:
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/20...5-3-5/427178-blower-motor-debris-removal.html

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
253 Posts
Some people say they can do it without removing the glove box, but it is much easier if you do.

I'm not overly fond of the design of the filter, as it gets squeezed when installed and removed. It has to be, since the opening for the filter is slightly smaller than the size of the filter. The filter is flexible, it can be compressed and it will open up again once in position, but when doing this with the used filter it probably releases most of the dust that was trapped by the filter in the filter place. Would have been better if the opening was exactly the same size as the filter and the filter were in a rigid cardboard frame like on home heating furnaces.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
With the glove box out, it is very easy to remove the blower motor and check/clean out any debris. I remove my blower motor every couple of years to clean out the area, and to clean the squirrel cage fins.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the super late reply guys, work has had me by the balls. It been raining a lot on and off and with work I havent had time to take a look at it yet. Its irritating me though. Im just waiting on a day with enough sunlight left after work that I can get to it. Thanks a lot guys. This is my first car that wasnt a GM so Im never gonna know where to start when stuff goes outta ordinary.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
So I finally got around to opening things up and this was all that ailed me. Thanks guys
What!? Two measly leaves. No mouse? You got ripped off buddy.

·
bessington
73 Posts
My car did this once. I turned up the stereo loud enough until the debris broke up and stopped rattling. Not the best solution but an old mechanic I know once told me, "if you heard a weird sound then your stereo isn't loud enough." He wasn't the best of mechanics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts