The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Altima with an Auto Tranny and lately I have noticed a erratic idle in when the car is in drive when I am stopped. If I throw the car up to Neutral or park, the idle steadies out perfect. The idle is so erratic when in drive when stopped that it shakes the steering wheel and jumps around 400-600 rpms. Everything else is perfect on the car, good acceleration, and smooth driving. It also gets pretty bad gas mileage if that has anything to do with it. I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, air filter, and the fuel filter. The car has about 33,000 miles on it. Thanks for the help.

·
87 octane evangelist
317 Posts
check your tranny fluid

·
Registered
115 Posts
welcome to the club!! I have a 2001 gxe le auto .I have had it for a year and a half. I developed the same problem when the car was 4 months old. I have had it into the dealership 20 or more times for this problem and they tell me nothing is wrong. They adjust the idle and the computer in the car sets it back to the way it was before. They tell me that the rough idle is normal for a 4 cylnder. I disagree, before my car started doing this the car was as smooth as glass at a stop. I also have terriable gas mileage . I can barely get 13 miles city driving. They say nothing is wrong with this either. I have poor acceleration , loose windows , carpet coming up and squeeky suspension.

I only have 5400 miles on the car , there should be nothing wrong with it. I also have squeelinfg brakes.

Good luck getting it fixed. If you find out what it is please let me know.

I've been dealing with this for so long.

ank

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My problems with the poor gas milage started when I changed the fuel filter and plugs. The Fuel filter was from autozone, and some people said that it may be because it was an after market part. So yesterday I bought a fuel filter from nissan to see if that would fix the problem. Before I changed the plugs and filter, I was getting around 450-500 miles per full tank, now I average around 250-275 miles per tank. So hopefully all it was was the autozone filter.

The shaking at an idle has been present since I bought the car. The car had been wrecked before, but not hard. So I dont know if that may be one of the reasons or not. But hopefully I can figure it out, becuase it is really annoying when the car shakes that bad.

I have read that some people are saying the motor mounts on these cars are junk, but there kind of pricy to be just a maybe fix. Also I have heard that some people say the O2 sensors suck on these cars as well. But with no check engine light comming on, Id rather not spend the money on something it may not be as well. So I was jsut wondering if anyone out thre had this problem, and had gotton it resolved. Thanks for all the help.

·
It's almost over now!!
3,660 Posts
i've got a 93 gxe with the same problem, might be problems with the wai...cause I didn't have problems until I put it on!

·
renwO amitlA duorP
774 Posts
i have a similar idle problem and i cant figure out what it is. i believe it could be a vacuum leak somewhere. put where do you start!? maybe it could be the valve cover gasket i dunno. damn tiny hoses

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, this weekend I did some more checks. Here is what I have come up with.

What I have replaced:

Put new Nissan Fuel Filter on
Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs
Fram Air Filter

Buddy of mine (Master ASE Certified) came down and ran the scan tool on it this weekend, everything checked ok. Injector pulse was good, Both O2's were functioning well. EGR was in working order. We did an injector test which basically was just unlpugging each injector, and watched how it affected the car, it test ok.

The car seemed not to produce much gas smell from the exhaust, so I dont know where this 120-150 mile's of gas is going. I am really starting to wonder about the gas guage. If the car dropped off 150 miles to the tank, not only should it be throwing a check engine light, but running and smelling like crap.

I am going to put some new wires, a distributor cap, and rotor button on tonight, and Ill see if that has anything to do with it, but I really doubt it.

I believe that the shaking in drive problem is cause by the front motor mount also. If you watch the motor, when you put it in gear, it moves pretty bad downward, so I think that is the problem there. Just sucks that the motor mount is about 100 bucks, and only lasts around 30,000 miles.

Ill update everyone by the end of the week if anything changes.

b.t.w this is a 2001 GXE LE as well. Anyone know the exact differences between a GXE and the other models? Thanks

·
Hostile CAD designer
146 Posts
The only major difference between the models were their available option packages...As for the idling, check your Air Flow. If it isn't getting enough O2 in the mix, it may cause the problem..As for the gas, I have no clue

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about some Denso Plugs.

The NGK's for it are 11 bucks a pop for the cheapest I have found. And would anyone happen to know the part number for the NGK's on the 2001 altima?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey ank215, are you currently running NGK's plugs part number PFR5G-11. I have been doing some research and am interested if thats the type of plugs you have. Thanks

·
4,020 Posts
NGK cooper or if you want to push a little longevity NGK Platinum...but nothing else. And the LE's are such a bastard child...

·
1,592 Posts
altikris said:
...maybe it could be the valve cover gasket i dunno...
i was checking my car out today and i notced mine was leaking. i'm gonna replace it tommorrow and see if it helps the shitty idle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I changed out evrything besides the plugs. Idling has not improved. We'll have to see if the gas milage is any better. Weird thing is is the fuel milage did not get worse until I put bosch platniums in it. So if this does not work, ill go back to NGK's.

Here's something I saw about the idle problem.

When Im at a stop light, the idle bounces a little, but it gets much worse in the turn signal is on, and the idle changes up and down in sync with the turn signal. Anyone else see this with the bad idle problem??

·
1,592 Posts
does your idle drop when you turn you headlights on and then go back up when you turn them off? if so it could be your altenator going bad.

·
renwO amitlA duorP
774 Posts
hey mine is the opposite. when i turn my headlights on my idle raises. but it is still a sh!tty idle all the time except when it is cold. also i notice that my idle is rougher when the temperature outside is colder. make any sense? could it be a vaccuum leak?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts