The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lirace232835322aug23.story?coll=ny-linews-headlines

Lay Down The Law Cops spike up illegal
racing

By Keiko Morris
STAFF WRITER

August 23, 2002

State Police laid down the spikes Wednesday night on
swarms of racers and spectators who attempted to
make a getaway from troopers cracking down on illegal
racing on Wantagh and Ocean parkways.

Police issued 91 vehicle and traffic summonses for a
number of violations, impounded two cars and wrote
tickets for unauthorized racing, a misdemeanor. The
spikes deflated tires on about 20 cars trying to elude
police.

Using information from probes into illegal street racing,
investigators and troopers in both marked and
unmarked cars targeted several areas along Wantagh
and Ocean parkways near Jones Beach.

About 11 p.m., they began to observe about 75 cars,
belonging to both racers and spectators, canvas the parkways and figure out the
racing route, state police said.

The crowd included a broad range of speed enthusiasts, ages 16 to 30. The cars
were registered from as far away as Georgia, as well as from New Jersey,
Brooklyn, Queens and Westchester, police said.

Police strategically placed several roadblocks equipped with stinger spike strips,
hard plastic laminate covered with two-inch spikes that fold up like an accordion.
They stretch across the roadway and are designed to deflate tires while
minimizing the risk of drivers losing control of their cars.

When the racing began, troopers and investigators closed in on the racers, Capt.
Ulrich MacKenzie of the state police said. He would not disclose the exact
location of the race.

Drivers attempting to escape police ran into one of several roadblocks.

Police learned details about illegal street racing from investigations into several
accidents that were attributed to such illegal street racing. Several Web sites
regularly post race information on these meets, many of them on Long Island's
parkways, MacKenzie said.

He declined to give specific details about the accidents or reveal the names of the
Web sites, saying he did not want to compromise continuing efforts to crack
down on racing.

Copyright © 2002, Newsday, Inc.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Well until they open us up a strip in every town you won't be able to stop it. We will always have street racing:D

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's just crazy..... road spikes!!! :eek:

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The situation is just getting worse and worse....

Hey Donald Trump, are you listening?.... If you build a dragstrip, you can make a ton of money right now.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ERyNN29 said:
In the article, they said they got their info on races from websites.. u think they know about our plans for Friday nite?
I have no clue, but.......

As long as we obey all the traffic laws and there's no beer at the BBQ, maybe we'll be fine.

I think someone better call up the parks dept and get info about having a night time bbq. Also maybe notify them that we are having a night time bbq.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
GGL.. speed bumps r better than road spikes :(
Flare.. the park closes at 11pm, so the nite time bbq is fine.. I'm not gonna be attending tho, cus the best part of the nite was gonna be the runs on Ocean Pkwy, which obviously can't happen now :( .. but u guys won't have any problems chillin at Captree. Be freakin careful on the way home tho, the cops r gonna see a buncha hooked up cars on Ocean Parkway when u guys leave.. don't get ****ed.

·
Back by unpopular demand
1,628 Posts
well, i guess wit the bumps there would be nothing to raid...but shit...i just hate how the cops seem to care more about stopping kids from having a good time then they do about protecting someone...i went to races every single saturday for a month straight, and i've yet to see an accidnet...im sure they do happen, just not often enough for this to be seen as some big threat...theres soooo many ways for them to solve it, and the only thing the ****in cops wanna do is just raid and raid and raid...anythin to get more revanue(sp?):angry4: :angry4:

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jaltima said:
Well until they open us up a strip in every town you won't be able to stop it. We will always have street racing:D
Sh!t.... that's what I'll do if I hit the big one in the lotto.... Build a strip! :D

·
13,021 Posts
G_G_L said:
well, i guess wit the bumps there would be nothing to raid...but shit...i just hate how the cops seem to care more about stopping kids from having a good time then they do about protecting someone...i went to races every single saturday for a month straight, and i've yet to see an accidnet...im sure they do happen, just not often enough for this to be seen as some big threat...theres soooo many ways for them to solve it, and the only thing the ****in cops wanna do is just raid and raid and raid...anythin to get more revanue(sp?):angry4: :angry4:
it's illegal and they are just doing their jobs.

revenue

how else can they combat street racing?

·
I hate my Altima.
831 Posts
that really sucks. . . I can't even risk going to illegals because I have a GDL; and one violation; and my lisence is gone! I still race on the highway sometimes; but I like to keep my racing in the track.

-Wisky

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
mrdeucie said:
I'm betting that even if a strip was opened up it wouldn't really affect street racing that much. It would get crowded and people won't want to pay.
Well..... if Englishtown was more accessible (ie. closer to NYC, better hours), I'd bet you'll see more and more people migrating from the street to the strip.

I'd definitely be hitting up the strip if it was easily accessible.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But I work. And by time I get to my car, it's like 6 or 6:30 pm. Then you got that friday night traffic to deal with.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts