The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, my car started, I'm still looking into the whole "not starting" thing as before, but I think I should address the first problem I spoke of a little more now that I've had a chance to experiment on it while it was running.

While driving, I noticed that when I was in 3rd gear, RPM's approaching 3k, the car wouldn't go any higher than that, nor any faster. On my old Mazda (R.I.P.) when my clutch crapped out on me, the RPM's went off the wall when I pressed the gas. What's up with my poor little Alty?

Note: It didn't do it every time I was in 3rd closing in on 3kpm, but probably about 2 out 5 times.

Also, what's the "timing chain" for? We think that may be the problem for my "not starting" issue. The engine is spinning, getting gas, getting battery, getting sparks... *shrug* Let's deal with the 3rd 3k RPM problem in this thread ;) Thanks loads.

Necessary Info:
94 GXE
5-speed
Ahh, that's all for now.

pic0

·
4,020 Posts
Timing chain does exactly what it says, it keeps everything timed the same so to speak. I doubt that is the cause of your car not starting. Timing chains replace timing belts in Nissans and are meant to last the life of the car. It may make noise in the older models, but other then that, I doubt it's gone.
As for not going past 3k miles, that's a tough one, I'll look in my FSM and see what I can find...

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JLewisinSyr said:
As for not going past 3k miles, that's a tough one, I'll look in my FSM and see what I can find...
Wait, wait, 3k miles? No, no, no, 3k RPM's, I hope that's what you meant :) Don't want you helping me on the wrong thing ;)

pic0

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coach said:
clutch is starting to slip!
Diagnosis, thanks. Necessary treatment? Clutch replacement? Or what? I didn't think clutch slippage would warrant the limitation of RPM's... I thought that would just result in the loss of actual forward motion as the RPM's were rising.

pic0

·
4,020 Posts
Yes 3k RPMS, sorry...I'm sick...
All the same, here is a simple test for your clutch. In an open parking lot with nothing in front of you, start your car. With the clutch pressed in, put the car in 5th gear. And now release the clutch and press the gas as if you were starting in 1st gear. If the car tries to pull and doesn't stall out your clutch is on its way out.

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JLewisinSyr said:
Yes 3k RPMS, sorry...I'm sick...
All the same, here is a simple test for your clutch. In an open parking lot with nothing in front of you, start your car. With the clutch pressed in, put the car in 5th gear. And now release the clutch and press the gas as if you were starting in 1st gear. If the car tries to pull and doesn't stall out your clutch is on its way out.
Lol, on the other hand, if it isn't failing, it'll kill and give me a nice case of whiplash ;) What if it isn't far along in the way of deterioration that it isn't evident with that test? And as far as replacements go, what's the best bang for my buck? If it isn't planning on failing within a few weeks, I have some "shipping time" to get one in at a good price.

Thanks for the replies, and for putting up with my lengthy posts ;)

pic0

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
the mechanic at nissan did this. (and the car was parked facing a wall)

Pulled up e-brake as hard as he could
Started the car
Pressed in clutch
Shifted into either 4th or 5th(couldn't see)
Rev'ed the engine past 4k rpm's
Dropped the clutch
Waited to see if it would stall
Shut it down and told me the clutch was about to give out as a cloud of smoke filled the area.
ie. he burned out more of the clutch thus causing me to need to get it replaced sooner. At the time it would slip on occasion in 4th and 5th but not all the time, after his ghetto test, I lost 5th, most of 4th and 3rd was going.

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
coach said:
the mechanic at nissan did this. (and the car was parked facing a wall)

Pulled up e-brake as hard as he could
Started the car
Pressed in clutch
Shifted into either 4th or 5th(couldn't see)
Rev'ed the engine past 4k rpm's
Dropped the clutch
Waited to see if it would stall
Shut it down and told me the clutch was about to give out as a cloud of smoke filled the area.
ie. he burned out more of the clutch thus causing me to need to get it replaced sooner. At the time it would slip on occasion in 4th and 5th but not all the time, after his ghetto test, I lost 5th, most of 4th and 3rd was going.
Sounds like a good way to make sure you're stuck there ;)

pic0

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
coach said:
well, I got a good 2 more months out of it which was good since I had to wait a long time for the ACT S/S to get shipped!
What made you take the car to the shop in the first place? What were you feeling?

pic0

·
4,020 Posts
I would never recommend placing it against a wall (airbags), but I would also never rev it that high, a nice 1500 ~ 2000 RPMs to start off should be fine to test the clutch.
If you cannot get past 3k RPMs and it is your clutch, it would be evident in this test. My question when saying you cannot get past 3k RPMs, what happens when you try to? Does the car just no longer accelerate and the RPMs just keep raising, non proportional? If this is not what is occuring, I don't think it is your clutch.
But as for a new clutch, people will all tell you different things. If you want one with a lifetime warranty, meant more for casual driving, you can go to Autozone and pick one up for like $120. If you want more of a performance clutch you can go with a ACT from Southwest AutoWorks for like $330. It all depends on your cash flow and preference to driving style. A lot of people on here have the ACT and love it.

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JLewisinSyr said:
I would never recommend placing it against a wall (airbags), but I would also never rev it that high, a nice 1500 ~ 2000 RPMs to start off should be fine to test the clutch.
If you cannot get past 3k RPMs and it is your clutch, it would be evident in this test. My question when saying you cannot get past 3k RPMs, what happens when you try to? Does the car just no longer accelerate and the RPMs just keep raising, non proportional? If this is not what is occuring, I don't think it is your clutch.
But as for a new clutch, people will all tell you different things. If you want one with a lifetime warranty, meant more for casual driving, you can go to Autozone and pick one up for like $120. If you want more of a performance clutch you can go with a ACT from Southwest AutoWorks for like $330. It all depends on your cash flow and preference to driving style. A lot of people on here have the ACT and love it.
When it happens, the car will no longer accellerate and the RPM's do not increase either. I wanted to get a new clutch anyway, the car is 100k miles old, I doubt it's been swapped and I know I love the feel of a clean clutch :cool: I may invest in an ACT, but since I may have a while I may shop around (there's a lot of "may" in that sentence, you'd think it was summer)

pic0

·
4,020 Posts
If the RPMs are not going any higher, it makes me believe it is something else, possibly something to deal with your EGR, airflow, ECU or possibly the camshaft or crankcase sensor. Something is forcing the car to cut itself off. Hm...this is a good one.

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JLewisinSyr said:
If the RPMs are not going any higher, it makes me believe it is something else, possibly something to deal with your EGR, airflow, ECU or possibly the camshaft or crankcase sensor. Something is forcing the car to cut itself off. Hm...this is a good one.
Airflow... Would that have anything to do with the vacuum tubes or... Whatever those "vacuum" parts are referred to as? The other thread said I should check those as to why my car wouldn't start all the way.

pic0

·
4,020 Posts
Yes they could cause that...thus relating to your EGR system, among other things. I would make sure all your vacuum hoses are connected and not leaking.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
JLewisinSyr said:
DUDE, it wasn't against the wall, it was facing the wall and I didn't do this test, the Nissan service manager did it. If he crashed it and released the airbags, it would have been his responsibility!

My car would rev/engine race on the road but the speed would increase very slowly.

webpheret: Took the car to Nissan since they said on the phone that it might be under warranty, but when I got there they realized it wasn't an auto? :dunno: They wanted $1000+ Canadian for an OE replacement, so I shopped around and got the ACT for the same price with synthetic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts