The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just the other day, I posted a tranny question. Coming home from the DAMN mall yesterday.....I put the car in reverse....no response. Drive works....(though i think its starting in either 2nd or third). 1st doesn't work(unless i push the gas really hard) but second does. I also posted a while ago...that I had couple of error codes..knock sensor and some AT 4th gear ratio bullshit. I've changed transmission fluid and in drive it shifts smoothly( unless i'm pushing my altima real hard). Is the transmission gone??? If so......questions are:

1. how much should i expect for rebuild?
2. how much for a new tranny from junkyard?
3. how much to expect for labor?

And if you have anything else to add to my problems...please add them now!!!!1:D Holla at the kid ASAP ya'll.

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
your tranny is done, same thing happened to mine. I got out of my car, went inside to get a pizza came back and reverse and first don't work. Depends on what you want to do for a rebuild, but a simple rebuild is going to be close to 1800-2400 total depending on what is exactly broken, don't take it to the dealer have a tranny shop do it. Now is the time for a valve body and high stall TC, if you mod your car at all, do these things now when the labor for them will be free, they are the best mods you can do to your car (minus N20 or turbo).When I had mine rebuilt I had stronger than stock parts put in, and a tranny cooler added too (because I did the TC and VB at the same time). When you take it to the tranny shop, ask them if they can get a "B&M shift kit" for your car (vb rebuild). It was only 199 when I got mine and it is awesome. Also I wouldnt' recommend a tranny from the junkyard. Even if you beat the piss out of yours, you don't know where a tranny from the junk yard has been, you don't know if some kid neutral dropped it a whole bunch of times before he totaled his car. depending on how bad yours is beat just get that one rebuilt. I am guessing you did the same thing I did. I spent little over 3k after my rebuild (including new parts, Protorque TC, B&M VB, Tranny cooler fluids and labor).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 things to add....

I just went out to send out some mail...and my tranny is working fine now...kinda hard shifts from rev---->drive though....i'ma go get it checked out tomorrow. If I do decide to get a tranny from the junk yard....will the 2nd gen altima work with my '97 or do i need '97 for '97. Please post for me guys.....i see you guys are experts....and if anyone knows what those errors mean....holla at the kid!!!!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Knock Sensor/4th gear AT ratio codes

Thanx for the help guys....before I take this thing into the shop in the morning.....does anyone know what the combo codes i mentioned might point to(wishful thinking....hoping the ecu is restraining the car and its not the entire transmission). Someone already told me the knock sensor checks air flow into the engine, but what is the 4th gear ratio code???? And could I have hit the sensor accidently...and messed up something when I was changing my oil filter????? Holla at the kid!!!!!!!!

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
A Max trans is a direct bolt in? I wonder how/if their gear ratios differ from an Alty.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Have you ever chcekd tranny fluid????

If it's to low, that could secretly be the gremlin in your car!

·
got widebody?®
5,566 Posts
I got my SE tranny rebuilt for $400 US, and it wasn't even a guy I had a connection with. He did an awesome job. Little old Jamaican guy...regular tranny shop. Shop around man!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MY BAD!!!!!!!!

I just checked my fluids this morning....and guess what....I guess when i changed my fluid i didn't put enough in...and I was about a quart low....I put in four quarts, now I put in the extra one and she is driving like she normally does....thanx ACE for reminding me of the basics!!!!!Now on to this knock sensor and 4th gear ratio thing anybody???

·
2003.5 g35 :)
417 Posts
i had the same prob.. i got a new tranny put in free.. i bought a GUARDIAN WARENTEE... and they covered the tranny when it blew.. It will cost about 600 dollars for a used tranny!

·
Registered
57 Posts
so what yr maximas have the same tranny as lets say.....a 93 gxe w/o lsd? thats the reason i got my project sooooo cheap...because i needed to slap a tranny in. so, i need some info as well, lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts