The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car started making noises on me then died. Got it home and found out all the oil was gone. I put oil back in and it started rough with smoke coming out the exhaust. After a minute or so it was fine so I drove it. After a week parked in the drive way their was no oil leak from the pan. Drove it for about 65 miles then again noises and died. Again no oil was in there.

What would causes all of my oil to leak while driving? Also I went to check the spark plugs I removed the ignition coils and two of them were drenched in oil. I desperately need to know what to do to fix these issues.

·
Registered
138 Posts
is there a check engine light? if so, what are the codes that you pulled? go to autozone if you can't pull the codes, and they'll do it for free.

did you recently have an oil change or other work? if so, what?

so while driving it, you're losing oil somewhere and you only see the rough smoke. No oil showing up anywhere else??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
is there a check engine light? if so, what are the codes that you pulled? go to autozone if you can't pull the codes, and they'll do it for free.

did you recently have an oil change or other work? if so, what?

so while driving it, you're losing oil somewhere and you only see the rough smoke. No oil showing up anywhere else??
Last time I check their was no codes but I should check again today to be sure. I havent had a oil change in a while since it was sitting since June. I'd say around august I had the cat replaced and it was running good for a couple weeks. Then this happened and its been sitting since. Only place I see oil is in the spark plug well. I'm not sure where its going but its only leaking whiles it being driven and their is no smoke when I'm driving only when I start it up after putting oil back in.

Also the exhaust is full of black stuff. Now I'm not sure if its because of the old cat or because of oil shooting out through the exhaust if that's even possible.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Your engine is shot.

This is a classic example of pre cat failure [do a search as I won't go into all of it] Looks like your old pre cat had already killed the engine before you installed the new cat.

What has happened is that the burned cat material has gotten pulled back into the engine during deceleration, and killed the oil rings.

I've rebuilt three engines that had this problem. [and, it has been a known issue with this gen Altima, and Sentra's [that share the same engines]. When I pulled the head I found there was about 1/8 of crud on top of the pistons which was NOT carbon build up.

Also having no oil will cause valve train failure as the oil pressure is used to keep the chain tensioner working. Without enough oil pressure the timing chain gets loose, and can jump a tooth, or worse jump several teeth, and the pistons will hit the valves.

If you either rebuild your engine, or swap with a junk yard engine, I would say to buy a header to replace the old precat [if emissions checks aren't in your area]. That way you won't have to ever worry about that problem again.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Go get a JDM engine....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I had a feeling it was gonna be serious. At 145k miles I guess it wouldn't be too big of a deal getting a new engine. I live in California and we have emission checks. I would think I'd be better off with a swap rather then a rebuild so I'll look into finding a engine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your engine is shot.

This is a classic example of pre cat failure [do a search as I won't go into all of it] Looks like your old pre cat had already killed the engine before you installed the new cat.

What has happened is that the burned cat material has gotten pulled back into the engine during deceleration, and killed the oil rings.

I've rebuilt three engines that had this problem. [and, it has been a known issue with this gen Altima, and Sentra's [that share the same engines]. When I pulled the head I found there was about 1/8 of crud on top of the pistons which was NOT carbon build up.

Also having no oil will cause valve train failure as the oil pressure is used to keep the chain tensioner working. Without enough oil pressure the timing chain gets loose, and can jump a tooth, or worse jump several teeth, and the pistons will hit the valves.

If you either rebuild your engine, or swap with a junk yard engine, I would say to buy a header to replace the old precat [if emissions checks aren't in your area]. That way you won't have to ever worry about that problem again.
Mtrain If the precat is not partially plugged, can ceramic dust get sucked back even if the precat and the back cat are brand new?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your engine is shot.

So i'm finally getting around to getting the car fix. I am tight on money and don't think I could afford to buy a used engine so would buying a rebuild kit of rockauto or ebay be enough to fix my problem? I have someone to do the work for free so if I can get away with just a kit that would be great.

·
6,365 Posts
If you have a free mechanic who can overhaul an entire engine...how can you beat the price of just putting a JDM engine in?!?

02 06 NISSAN ALTIMA SENTRA 2.0L QR20DE ENGINE JDM QR20DE REPLACEMENT FOR QR25D

I wasn't being flippant when I suggested earlier to just go get one. You could rebuild the junker you have...but who's to say the block didn't warp or crack due to heat stress...and how much does machining the head cost? Compare that to an almost bolt in $399 engine in known good condition...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It unfortunately won't tell me the shipping costs unless I place a order. I live in California and cheapest I found was around 600ish

·
6,365 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts